Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When’s everyone doing first coolant flush?

As the title states, when’s everyone doing their first coolant service? I think the factory interval is 100k but I’m not exactly sure. Daily driven car, no racing.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As the title states, when’s everyone doing their first coolant service? I think the factory interval is 100k but I’m not exactly sure. Daily driven car, no racing.
When I did my Mountune radiator *

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I won't touch the coolant until I change the radiator. I had a 2010 Ford Focus for 10 years 123,000 miles never touched the coolant once. I'm big on changing oil, transmission fluid and so on, but when it comes to coolant I really don't worry about it.

In my family we don't sell cars we drive them till they disintegrate. Never had a cooling problem on any of them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd say 5 yr. 60k as most vehicles fall under severe use also*

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I plan on doing it when I install a Montune radiator, but if that does not happen soon, I will use one of the better dealer's coupons for like 30% off of this service, and have it fully flushed out, and new yellow Motorcraft put into the system.

I have ~5 years, but only about 32K miles on the factory orange stuff.

But by changing the concentration twice a year for summer and winter seasons, and using new orange coolant every time for the winter change, it is almost as if I have changed it out multiple times already (but yes, of course that is not like a full flush out, which gets all of the sediment, corrosion deposits, and other particles/solids out of the whole system).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I plan on doing it when I install a Montune radiator, but if that does not happen soon, I will use one of the better dealer's coupons for like 30% off of this service, and have it fully flushed out, and new yellow Motorcraft put into the system.

I have ~5 years, but only about 32K miles on the factory orange stuff, but my changing the concentration twice a year for summer and winter seasons, and using new orange coolant every time for the winter change, it is almost as if I have changed it out multiple times already (but yes, of course that is not like a full flush out, which gets all of the sediment, corrosion deposits, and other particles/solids out of the whole system).
Change it* it loses it protection properties over the course of time.

I had coolant hoses bursting and the expansion tank leaking all the time from about 1 year onwards from buying it brand new.. bought one new tank and it was leaking only a month later. Got a refund and installed the mishimoto metal tank.. then had hose after hose burst.. all rubber parts on these cars are shit. Engine mounts and suspension bushings are really bad too.

Sent from my Redmi 8 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for all the reply’s. I put a lot more miles on my car as compared to most of you as it’s my daily commuter. It’s a 2018 and I already have 80000. I’ve considered putting a radiator in but not sure it’s necessary for my circumstances. There’s no doubt the car has cooling issues but I think they are more exaggerated with track days/auto cross and guys running big turbo etc.

Long story short, I think I’m going to do a coolant service at 100,000.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
First?

I've done five
Yes. It would be the first. What is the thought process behind flushing the coolant so often? Remember, daily driven commuter car here that has had zero cooling issues. I’ll have to look in the manual but pretty sure factory interval is 100k.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yes. It would be the first. What is the thought process behind flushing the coolant so often? Remember, daily driven commuter car here that has had zero cooling issues. I’ll have to look in the manual but pretty sure factory interval is 100k.
The manual is kind of confusing on this, because it says 100k at first in the schedule, but if you look at the footnote it says change the coolant at six years or 100k, then every three years or 50k.

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
The manual is kind of confusing on this, because it says 100k at first in the schedule, but if you look at the footnote it says six years or 100k, then every three years or 50k.
Interesting.

I just test my coolant once a year before it gets cold. I use the test results to determine when a drain & fill is needed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks for all the reply’s. I put a lot more miles on my car as compared to most of you as it’s my daily commuter. It’s a 2018 and I already have 80000. I’ve considered putting a radiator in but not sure it’s necessary for my circumstances. There’s no doubt the car has cooling issues but I think they are more exaggerated with track days/auto cross and guys running big turbo etc.

IF you ever sit on The Garden State Parking Lot on the way to, or back from the shore in the summer, eventually you will experience very high, possibly limp mode coolant temps, at least with the air off (or on as per many on here, but it never happened to me with the air, and therefore HIGH speed fan on as well [wink]).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Some of us are very over-cautious, but, the anti-acid, anti-corrosion additives in all coolants DO 'wear out', and become ineffective over time/miles of use.

Otherwise the manufacturers would just call it a 'lifetime fill', and not suggest any changing ever, like they (erroneously) do for many other fluids. [wink]

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I did mine around 85k?

Cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Plugs are also due 100k.....I've dine them seven times.

My car has 153k and has never left me stranded. I deal with people who don't maintain their cars then cry to me when I have bug repair bills. A couple bucks now don't hurt me any so why not?

DEss

Did my first for my '16 this summer because it's 5 yo coolant. If I were in your position, I'd probably do it around 100k too. It's pretty easy to do without special tools or anything. If you do have the special tools (compressor and vacuum filler) it'll be quicker and more complete, as you can get out all of the old stuff. But, the drain and refill method will suffice for me.

Sam4

I had coolant hoses bursting and the expansion tank leaking all the time from about 1 year onwards from buying it brand new.. bought one new tank and it was leaking only a month later. Got a refund and installed the mishimoto metal tank.. then had hose after hose burst.. all rubber parts on these cars are shit. Engine mounts and suspension bushings are really bad too.

Sent from my Redmi 8 using Tapatalk
Sooo we are all changing rad fluid (yes, everyfuckingthingelsetoo) on an ongoing basis, several drips at a time - why change it all at once on some silly random round number like 60 or 100K? Buy these