Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which brand Short Shifter?

so many options for a short shift kit for our cars and some are very expensive compared to whoosh and fswerks.
What kits do you have have, have you felt others, which feel the shortest most engaging, and overall a better feel for rowing gears and not missing?

Just got my mountune in, having no other comparison- 1-3-5-R feels great... but 2-4-6 feels rubbery- but very short. I dont know if this is normal or not, but it doesnt feel all that great to me for the money.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just got my mountune in, having no other comparison- 1-3-5-R feels great... but 2-4-6 feels rubbery- but very short. I dont know if this is normal or not, but it doesnt feel all that great to me for the money.
Time to Dump the Stock OEM manual Trans. fluid and make the Jump to a different fluid such as Ravenol 75w80 MTF-2 OR MTF-3 or even Motul 300 if you haven't already!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The mountune Unit for the shift adapter is the BEST one out there I have tried three others now and ended up with the Mountune...plus it goes to 30%!

Last edited:
The mountune Unit for the shift adapter is the BEST on out there I have tried three others now and ended up with the Mountune...plus it goes to 30%!
I dont doubt it, if the best SS feels this way on the 2-4-6, i cant imagine how the other ones feel... probably like goo.

Have you replaced your shifter bushings with aluminum pieces?
no, I have not, I did not see a reason to replace relatively new bushings. I've read in multiple post that it does not make a difference unless your old bushings are worn. I have less than 6000 miles on my car. Do you have any experience directly comparing fairly new bushings to solid bushings? Maybe I misunderstood something from what i've read?

Spork1569

no, I have not, I did not see a reason to replace relatively new bushings. I've read in multiple post that it does not make a difference unless your old bushings are worn. I have less than 6000 miles on my car. Do you have any experience directly comparing fairly new bushings to solid bushings? Maybe I misunderstood something from what i've read?
I replaced mine around 30k so not sure how worn they were by then, but the material can also make a pretty big difference in the feel. The stock bushings are a very soft rubber so even while new they can definitely move around more than the aluminum bushings would.

For a 20-40 or so dollar mod for both sets, I would definitely recommend them as it tightens up the shifts a bit more and I'd say it feels more connected to the car. They can be a bit of a pain to install due to the location but if you're doing the Boomba lever or any short shift plate anytime soon, you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

so many options for a short shift kit for our cars and some are very expensive compared to whoosh and fswerks.
What kits do you have have, have you felt others, which feel the shortest most engaging, and overall a better feel for rowing gears and not missing?
Like typhoon, I have gone through 3 different plates and eventually settled on the Mountune version as I felt it had the best feeling and the shortest throw was also an upside.

I had an older version of Whoosh's plate that did the job and was definitely noticable. I then moved on to the Boomba plate because I got a good deal locally, I loved the feel of it as well and the extra weight helped the shifter guide into gear, which is something I miss. Some would say the raised plates make the transmission feel notchy due to the increased shifter lever angle, but it's not anything I really noticed when I had these 2 plates.

I tried the Mountune because I wanted the shortest throw possible in combination with the Boomba shift lever, and while it's not as hefty as the Boomba shift plate, shifts still feel smooth(smoothest out of the 3 plates) and definitely shorter than the rest. The install is a bit trickier than the rest because you have to remove your old ball joint, but nothing too bad and the tool is provided by Mountune.(turbo inlet will forever go down as the worst install I've had to do so far, this is a walk in the park compared to anything with blind bolts.)

I replaced mine and my car has 4300 miles on it. I can promise you the shifter feels solid after doing it. The factory bushings are designed to give some slop

I will look into bushings the next time I plan to work near that area, I am pretty much done under the hood for a while. I did not get to drive the car for too long since my hotpipe popped- but to be fair, i was very pleased with the shifter feel when I was dry shifting to see if everything was hooked back up immediately after reinstalling my short shifter.

Sam4

Has anyone experienced T/O bearing noise or failure with a shortshift block? I recently had AWFUL tranny noise and got to a friendly dealer. He reminded me that I had a shortshift block which may have cause premature bearing failure. It's been on there for 40K, but did it accelerate wear?