Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which springs....

LT Berzerker

Ok all, wondering what springs I should go with. Can't afford coilovers presently and the car is a daily driver year round (in Wisconsin).

I've heard good things about the mountune springs and h&r.

Reference information, going to be running 205/40R17 (maybe 215/40 in the future). On team dynamics pro race 1.2 17x8 +38...

I'm looking for a balance between form & function...

So, thoughts, pics, experience...

H&R or. Mountune

????????

You really can't go wrong with either one. I'll be going with Mountune myself when the time comes because I've read they're matched with the Oem shocks and work very well.

I went with Mountune myself as well for the very same reason that they were designed to compliment the stock shocks. I'll try and remember to post up some pics of the before and after. I'm on stock wheels though. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Same as the other two. I'm going Mountune because of the conservative drop and being able to work with the stock set up.

caliboy15

I wish our car is a bit lower. I dont want harsh ride. anyway, Ill go with Mountune springs also

Can you guys order direct from their site? I'll be going with the Mountune Springs for all the above reasons and they're only ?179 which is very good in my opinion. I work that out to be around $273 - according to a shitty iPhone app.

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #10
Mountune USA sells direct from their site, however if you have the 2door, you don't want the na version (different rates).

Anyways, I'm going through modbargains and getting the eibach as I can't beat 209.99 and eibach makes the springs for mountune & Cobb....negligible difference in rates and they are progressive with equal drop :)

Yeah I'm looking at Eibach also. Mountune drops 28mm + 20mm, Eibach 30mm all round. Been stuck on this for weeks

I went with H&Rs. Also have Koni STR.Ts paired up with em. Its pretty low. I like the ride, but kinda wish I would have gone with Eibach for less of a drop.

Crappy pic, but a little help.

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #13
Decision considerations:

H&R is German, and while a great manufacturer they are probably designed with the 2 door in mind not the 4 door heavier variant in mind.

Mountune while a great option cost more than most viable options, and are yellow...

Eibach has good pricing, is progressive, black in color, however, my concern is it being a flat 1" drop as reported by some and on their site.

After speaking with Jurrian at modbargains I can get a price on the Cobb springs which is less than mountune, while competitive in pricing to the eibachs. advertise rake .8 & .7 " drop, and are black. I have seen how the drop looks on re-rx7's car... And it looks like about what I am aiming for.

So I'm going with the Cobb springs, time to make the call

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #14
I went with H&Rs. Also have Koni STR.Ts paired up with em. Its pretty low. I like the ride, but kinda wish I would have gone with Eibach for less of a drop.

Crappy pic, but a little help.
Looks good though man, how do you like the shocks?

From the 2JR thread.

Okay, so a little about me and my driving habits. My car is my daily driver for a 50 mile, round trip commute. I bought it specifically as a DD, that is a blast to drive. I love this car. I came from a MKV GTI with K-sport coils and a MKIV GLI with Tein springs on some shocks that I couldn't identify. They were stiff and sometimes painful to drive.

That being said, my FiST may never see a track. MAYBE an autocross course. But for now I just wanted a comfortable, fun DD. And that's what I've now got. The Koni's are soft. When I hit a bump or pothole, its softer. It doesn't sound like my dash is going to jump out of the car. So the commute this morning was very comfortable. Last night, I took a backroad home and opened up a little bit. The car still has that feel, ya know what I mean? It's still tossable, its still on rails, and it definitely brings a smile to my face. There may be a tiny bit more under steer that I barely noticed, but I also don't push my car to the limits on public roads.

I hope I did a well enough job explaining my thoughts. I think I'm one of the first with the Koni STR.T's on a FiST. So far, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I kind of wish I had gone with Eibach instead of H&R springs, as it is a lot lower than I expected, but I'm going to drive and enjoy and see what happens later.

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #17
Thx for the feedback, I'm thinking I'll try a track day or two and see what the car does, then see what needs a little improvement and modify from there... Balance of form and function, an all in one car, and the fiesta is a great inexpensive platform for this. :)