Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh hybrid turbo makes same psi as stock turbo?

I was looking at the Whoosh hybrid turbo and noticed it warns to never go over 26.5 PSI as it is considered overspinning and can damage the turbo. I'm really confused by this because it supposedly makes a lot more power than the stock turbo, but I'm already making 26 psi with the stock turbo. I know a larger turbo at the same PSI would make more power because of heat or something (I don't really understand it.) But the hybrid is the same size just with stronger internals, is it not? How does it make more power than stock at the same PSI?

On a side note, is upgrading the intercooler piping worth it? I haven't really found anyone arguing for or against it. I upgraded my intercooler but left the stock hosing.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was looking at the Whoosh hybrid turbo and noticed it warns to never go over 26.5 PSI as it is considered overspinning and can damage the turbo. I'm really confused by this because it supposedly makes a lot more power than the stock turbo, but I'm already making 26 psi with the stock turbo. I know a larger turbo at the same PSI would make more power because of heat or something (I don't really understand it.) But the hybrid is the same size just with stronger internals, is it not? How does it make more power than stock at the same PSI?

On a side note, is upgrading the intercooler piping worth it? I haven't really found anyone arguing for or against it. I upgraded my intercooler but left the stock hosing.
The Hybrid has a different compressor wheel. Which is larger. Hence the term hybrid. Larger compressor wheel stock air frame. The air frame is only capable of flowing so much air due to its size. The recommended PSI for that is 26.5 going over that will indeed be over spinning it causing more heat and possible failure. Also when one starts over spinning the turbo it starts blowing hot air due to the heat which will not only be stressing the turbo but also be not developing power.

Now consider that at factory boost you do not spin much above 22 pounds max 26.5 is actually on a tune pushing the limits of the turbo for some but not a lot of gain. Hence the reason for a Hybrid and or going bigger turbo.
I choose a S280 for the reason acting closer to Hybrid than most larger turbo’s will also being a larger than stock turbo that did not have to work as hard and can achieve much more with extra fueling.
Its up to you I hope this helps.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
I choose a S280 for the reason acting closer to Hybrid than most larger turbo’s will also being a larger than stock turbo that did not have to work as hard and can achieve much more with extra fueling.
Its up to you I hope this helps.
Would you recommend the S280 if I wasn't planning on doing any ethanol mixes? I want to stay on 93.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Would you recommend the S280 if I wasn't planning on doing any ethanol mixes? I want to stay on 93.
I think the S280 on 93 can be pretty potent. I like my s280 on 91. It was completely drivable as a daily yet has a lot of go power when I need it . On e30 it develops a more wild personality. I am sure 93 would land you somewhere between the two of those extremes. Which should be pretty nice.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Like DPro said, it's a larger compressor wheel which flows more air even at the same PSI. Remember PSI does not equate to airflow.

I don't think the IC piping matters until you start moving a lot more air than the stock turbo can handle. I wouldn't want to run those flimsy things on an upgraded turbo but ran them on stage 2/e30 stock turbo tunes without any issue whatsoever. Absolutely zero data behind this, just my thoughts.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Pressure is measurement of resistant not flow or density of air flowed. (pound of force per square inch or also known as "psi")

Hybrid turbos use the same shaft and turbine housing so they same turbo speed limitations as an OEM kp39 turbo is going to be on a hybrid kp39 turbo. Typically pressures higher than 25 psi peak are going to generate excess heat, past 5000 rpm you're going to want to taper and favor ignition over boost.