Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why 20W oil and not 30?

This has been my question since I purchased the car.

Every Eco boost engine uses 30 oils from what I've read. The German/Euro/Australian manuals for the ST calls for 5W30 as well.

Are we simply under the miles per gallon gun here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I would say yes. That said I don't see any benefits to running 30. But I'm just some dude on the interwebs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's to please the Bark eaters and Cafe standards in keeping up with the latest and greatest fuel economy standards. It's miniscule if that between the two weights....but tolerances are tighter so it requires a thinner oil. A thinner oil cools more effectively than a thicker oil....but don't quote me on that I've been up for 20 hrs. Straight.

Rhinopolis

I agree with what others in this thread have already said, and I still decided to go with an 0w-30. I like the idea that the 0w is a bit thinner at cold startup (I live in Houston and there are zero winter benefits to speak of in using the 0w) and then the oil thickens once at operating temps. Our summer temps are high heat plus humidity, and since my car is a fun car I drive it pretty hard whenever I'm driving it. That being said my thought was also that I would be beating up the oil pretty good, and I wanted an oil that had some "protection room" in case my driving habits thinned it up some from its stock form.

My 1st Blackstone report on a 3500 mile used oil sample and with my engine at 7k miles, should come back by the end of this week. With the more aggressive E30 tune plus upgraded turbo as well as how I utilize the car, I personally felt better about going with the thicker oil. Looking forward to seeing what Blackstone says.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
That's my dilemma too- here in Canada we have both extremes- super cold and super humid and hot in the summer.

I might stick to penzoil ultra. It seems to have some really good viscosity numbers.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
IMO which if you want stop reading now else you are getting my thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Like anything it can be over though. Personally I don't see the need to change from what the manufacturer states. Just pick an oil you like (however you decide your criteria) and use it. Going thicker may hamper HP (very slightly) and it is more thick to move around. Also with small lines going to the turbo thinner oil helps to flow faster and cooler. But again, IMO, unless you race or have data of all points your driving needs will be meet by accredited oil in the viscosity range. Once your engine ages are wears in some think a thicker oil will help. I have seen this on engines with 200k+ miles but not from engines I ran. My engines I run synthetic and replace it religiously. I do drive hard and long. My engines @ +200k miles internals look like new. It did not matter the make of the oil as long as it is synthetic, accredited and within the viscosity range for the application (recommended by the MFG).

Continue the opinions. I always like reading others view point.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
Good point man I agree with everything above.

I'd really like to stick with one brand of oil and call it a day- I can get a Ford filter and oil for 50 bucks. Or I can see if ultra even goes on sale and they may be worth it.

Never run less than xW30 in a turbo engine. The xW20 is fine in the na engines. The key value is that the oil maintains at least a 10w while at the max temp seen in whatever engine. Issue is you can't measure that value, but others have. Just stay with a 30 in turbo engine and all will be well. You can go with the 20 and be good as well, but you won't know if it isn't well unless you do routine UOAs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Doesn't a thicker oil pull away from Hp also? We aren't worried about coking the turbo are we? Not Trying to make this thread explode with oil and personal theory talk. Someone should do a Dyno......not change the Tune or anything and just change the oil. I'd be super curious of the outcome.[readthis]

My engine makes that bottom-end tapping noise some of you have probably heard of. Stealership suggested that I use 5-30 rather than 5-20 to help since the noise occurs when the engine is at operating temp. Tells you something.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's just them ducking warranty work on solving the problem. If a dealership can't solve a repair within so many attempts they must buy the car back under the lemon law and provide you with a new vehicle. Go to another dealer....it's what I did with my warranty repairs and the other dealer is the exact opposite of the dealer I bought the car from. Go figure....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just use the oil that is specified in the manual. What the hell do the Automotive engineers at Ford know anyways about design....theory...etc.

KKaWing

That's the thing, the EU/rest of the world manual specifies both 5w-20 and 5w-30...

I just use the oil that is specified in the manual. What the hell do the Automotive engineers at Ford know anyways about design....theory...etc.
Obviously, they don't know nothing! How else can one explain how the FiST turned out.

(***double negative***)[deviltail]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I agree with what others in this thread have already said, and I still decided to go with an 0w-30.
Which brand/version in brand?

IF I lived in the deep south/southwest, I would also use a 0W-30, or 5W-30, especially without an aftermarket air to oil cooler installed. ;)

OP
S
Thread Starter #18
I've never heard any taping noise in the engine. But I do have the constant ticking of the direct injection, I'm guessing?

Rhinopolis

Which brand/version in brand?

IF I lived in the deep south/southwest, I would also use a 0W-30, or 5W-30, especially without an aftermarket air to oil cooler installed. ;)
AMSoil signature series 0w-30 and one of their EA filters. I order a case and two filters at a time and have been utilizing AMSoil for years in my performance cars.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
AMSoil signature series 0w-30 and one of their EA filters. I order a case and two filters at a time and have been utilizing AMSoil for years in my performance cars.
Thanks, and yes, that reminds me that I must renew my Preferred Customer subscription/status.

Do they still make an EaO oil filter for this car (I know that they dropped MANY specific models from the line up recently)?

That's the same oil my brother uses in his '06 LS2 C6. ;)