Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wife is getting a new car Kia stinger, g70, Mazda 3 turbo

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My 2010 Ford Focus daily driver that I have owned since new was totaled by a deer, so I will be taking my wife's car eventually for a daily driver. Geico gave me $5,000 for the Focus can't complain about that. We recently refinanced our house into a shorter term loan, and also replaced the upstairs heat pump what a year.

My wife's current car is a 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 hatchback with 84,000 MI she has owned since new. I will be using it as my daily driver eventually.

Onto potential cars the kia stinger GT1 all-wheel drive, the g70 3.3 all-wheel drive elite and the not yet release Mazda 3 turbo all-wheel drive hatchback. So what's with the all-wheel drive well it's fairly simple my wife is from upstate New York and we visit about every other year normally during the winter time. We rent a vehicle with all-wheel drive of course rentals don't come with snow tires but they do just fine. Well having our own vehicle with all-wheel drive we wouldn't have to rent anymore. I'm not going to buy a set of extra wheels and winter tires just to throw on a car to drive someplace every other year that's just stupid. Also my wife and I like to go to cabins some of the cabins we can't potentially go to because they highly recommend all-wheel drive due to the extremely steep gravel driveways. And last but not least I have never owned a all-wheel drive vehicle and I would like to.

My Wife will be going Monday to test drive these vehicles we originally were going to go with the four-cylinder models of the Kia stinger and g70, but now have decided let's go with the 3.3 turbo instead tomorrow is not promised and we can deal with the extra $6,000 it cost. So far we know we can get about $8,000 off the g70, and about $10,000 off the Kia stinger. My Wife is going to go drive a Mazda 3 premium hatchback with all-wheel drive to see how she feels about the car. Obviously it won't have the more powerful engine but everything else about the car is the same. If she really likes the Mazda we will hold off until the turbo engine is released, but if she likes the other cars more we will pursue them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love the Stinger, but if it's just you and your wife and you don't care about the rear seat space, you're probably better off with the Genesis. The Genesis Elite package will give you more of the luxury accoutrements compared to the GT1, but the Stinger (especially if you get it in Micro blue or Hi Chroma Red) will get more looks and have more presence. The Mazda will definitely feel the smallest and less like a true luxury car, and we can only guess at how the turbo motor is gonna make it feel. Although Mazda's paint colors are kinda to die for, especially their Soul Red Crystal

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
The stinger and g70 are on the same platform.

We have watched hours and hours of videos. I have read article after article. The g70 is actually more sporty when it comes to handling.

The advantage the kia stinger has is we may be able to get it for a couple thousand dollars cheaper and also better financing. Plus it has a lot more cargo room.

I have always done all the work on the vehicles but Genesis gives you free maintenance for 3 years they will even pick up the car.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Happy for you man. You know where I stand on this. I can't remember if you've yet driven either version of the Stinger. But there are so many good things about it. We'd have gotten a GT2 but just needed more space with 2 of our kids still home. Maybe in 5 years we'll be ready...for someone who doesn't need to haul kids around it's the perfect cruising car. In fact IIRC Doug Demuro just bought one as his daily driver, that says something. Last December I had a deal ready to close, a $50k GT2 for $40k brand new with about 10 miles. Just wasn't right for us. But it is such an underrated car. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after driving it. But as you said it all comes down to what she wants, you're a good man.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Happy for you man. You know where I stand on this. I can't remember if you've yet driven either version of the Stinger. But there are so many good things about it. We'd have gotten a GT2 but just needed more space with 2 of our kids still home. Maybe in 5 years we'll be ready...for someone who doesn't need to haul kids around it's the perfect cruising car. In fact IIRC Doug Demuro just bought one as his daily driver, that says something. Last December I had a deal ready to close, a $50k GT2 for $40k brand new with about 10 miles. Just wasn't right for us. But it is such an underrated car. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after driving it. But as you said it all comes down to what she wants, you're a good man.
She is going on her own for the test drives.
I will drive whatever she picks out.

She has made three test drive appointments for Monday.

I've heard good things about the Stinger. I remember reading a while back that Hyundai had gotten some highly esteemed engineers from BMW's M division to start their performance N division, and I think they also worked on the Stinger.
Albert Biermann (BMW M performance division) and Peter Schreyer (VAG designer)

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Well the way it's going the kia stinger may be off the list the Kia dealerships around here are scummy very dishonest.

Hendrick KIA has two Kia dealerships in the state if not more they also seem to be the ones with all of the Kia stingers well $1,800 in bs dealership fees. They are going to get some nasty nasty reviews.

My wife and I don't need a vehicle she still has a car to drive, and I can drive the Fiesta ST to work and I have been.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Well the way it's going the kia stinger may be off the list the Kia dealerships around here are scummy very dishonest.

Hendrick KIA has two Kia dealerships in the state if not more they also seem to be the ones with all of the Kia stingers well $1,800 in bs dealership fees. They are going to get some nasty nasty reviews.

My wife and I don't need a vehicle she still has a car to drive, and I can drive the Fiesta ST to work and I have been.

Go out of state to buy your car, you don't have to deal with a local dealer to buy a car. In Chattanooga the dealers are ALL rip off with adding $1000 "Doc" fees and other BS like $400 nitrogen in tires, then offer you a great deal and taking off all of that and you buy at sticker. Has worked that way here for many years. Our new cars have been purchased where we get the best price. 2 in GA, 1 in NC, 1 in TX, 1 in IL. The cost of the trip was more than covered in the thousands we saved. Buying online is so much easier than a showroom battle for hours! Kia's are reliable so your only local interactions would be for warranty work. Do you really want to fight 5 people at a stealership or deal with email, don't even give them a phone number until you agree on a price. Past 5 new cars were all this way for our family. And you can work with 3-4 dealers at a time to get the best price. Buy what you want, you are not owned by your local dealership.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Unfortunately with work right now that's just not an option. If I was retired or had a better work schedule that would be possible but I just can't do that with work right now.

I wouldn't really consider either one of these dealerships local. We live in the triad region of North Carolina.
One dealership is in the Charlotte area, and the other dealership is in the triangle area opposite parts of the state.

I simply won't get a Kia stinger it's that simple. We will just get a Mazda 3 turbo and not deal with all this BS . We have several Mazda dealerships in my area and none of them are scummy especially the one we would probably go with.

OP Don't let it get you down. This is the game.

Like others have said, you need to put the dealers against eachother.

Set up an email address with yahoo so you don't get your email address spammed with dealer email.

Look for inventory within 250 - 500 miles on stingers.

Call dealers, ask for sales. Say already test drove, this is the exact car I want. Tell them you're from 250 500 miles away because you want to get the best deal. Ask for the price and to write it up on the offer.

Give them your email address, go back and forth with each dealer for a day or two on price. Start telling them the other dealer's offer prices. When they say "send me their offer and I'll beat it", email the offer over. They'll beat it and then send that offer over to the other dealer saying "I really want to buy from you" etc etc.

You'll star hearing from the sales managers at this point about how each dealer wants to earn your business. Tell them how serious you are and you want the best deal. Keep the negotiation going.

Eventually you'll start hearing "I can't do the deal for that, i'll be losing money on the car". Push a bit more between them and then you should be good. Agree on price over the phone, have them write up final offer. Drive 250 - 500 miles and pick up your car.

If you can't handle the stress of this, then just get a price from TrueCar and be done with it. It sucks but, this is the game.

The Mazda is just incredibly nice to drive and look at, if interior space/exterior bulk isn’t a concern then it’s probably the one you want IF: they’ve softened up the rear shocks.

The 2019 is absurdly nice except when hitting bumps around 70mph, it literally hurts. The torsion beam is amazing, as is the hyperactive stability control, but they’ve gone nuts with the spring/shock stiffness. It handles and rides like an M3 or something, so weird that there isn’t a softer suspension available.

Sad to see the Stinger's biggest problem is still the dealer network. I really like them and would consider a used one, but I don't need a car of that size.

I am really interested to see how the Mazda3 turbo works out. That much torque in a ~3300 pound car should be entertaining. I wouldn't mind it being a bit firmer in the rear if that makes it more neutral in the corners; can't be worse than the FiST. One of my big gripes about the R I had for a year was how soft it was in the corners; the only reason it wasn't understeer city was because the AWD was shoving the back end around.

I don't know if things are the same as when I got my Stinger GTS back in December but there was not much dealing at all with a straight purchase but Kia was putting some insane cash down on the lease deals. If I recall, with the Kia cash and dealer incentive, I got about $9900 off. I plan to purchase at the end of the lease.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 2019 is absurdly nice except when hitting bumps around 70mph, it literally hurts. The torsion beam is amazing, as is the hyperactive stability control, but they’ve gone nuts with the spring/shock stiffness. It handles and rides like an M3 or something, so weird that there isn’t a softer suspension available.
HOW is there a torsion beam with an AWD system (since Ford ST is buying an AWD Mazda 3) ?!? [???:)]

I personally like the Mazda 3's aesthetics MUCH better as well, and just cannot stand that 'stretched out' way too long sedan, look of the Stinger, regardless of how impressive it's acceleration times. [wink]

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
HOW is there a torsion beam with an AWD system (since Ford ST is buying an AWD Mazda 3) ?!? [???:)]

I personally like the Mazda 3's aesthetics MUCH better as well, and just cannot stand that 'stretched out' way too long sedan, look of the Stinger, regardless of how impressive it's acceleration times. [wink]
Yep it is a torsion beam and the turbo model only comes in all-wheel drive.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...X-to-Debut-in-Nov-at-LA-Auto-Show&p=113176741

The torsion beam is tucked up very high in the chassis. Guess it's why the rear cargo space is so limited (really my only gripe on the 19+ Mazda3).