Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood brakes

I’ve currently got the Revo Alcon big brake kit on the car which needs a spacer to fit. I’m looking to change the brakes so that I don’t need spacers and have been told that the Wilwood kit will fit.
I’m still undecided whether to go back to standard st brakes or fit the Wilwood kit.
My question is to everyone who’s had this kit fitted is what’s the performance like for fast road use and with them being a lot lighter, is this noticeable when driving?

slopoke

I had the Wilwoods on my car and the stopping power really increased. I’m not sure that the Wilwoods will have a significant increase over what you are current using. I really don’t think that the cost of losing money selling your curgent brake kit is worth it. Good luck.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
True, but I do understand his desire to get rid of the spacers, as I hate them as much as he does, even if they did not negatively change the scrub radius at all. [wink] [thumb]

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #4
True, but I do understand his desire to get rid of the spacers, as I hate them as much as he does, even if they did not negatively change the scrub radius at all. [wink] [thumb]
Which I’m thinking it must do going from the factory set up of 47.5et to 32et!! ;)
It looks like we have a mutual hate of spacers and lowering suspension/springs! :LOL:(n)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I’ve currently got the Revo Alcon big brake kit on the car which needs a spacer to fit. I’m looking to change the brakes so that I don’t need spacers and have been told that the Wilwood kit will fit.
I’m still undecided whether to go back to standard st brakes or fit the Wilwood kit.
My question is to everyone who’s had this kit fitted is what’s the performance like for fast road use and with them being a lot lighter, is this noticeable when driving?
I noticed they were lighter as they were even lighter than the Whoosh I had on the car previously . Have not had a chance yet to wring them out as our weather has been pretty rainy as in torrential. 🤣
So ya maybe in the next few days when we have a brief window of dryness of course the canyons are littered with rocks and debris.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #6
I noticed they were lighter as they were even lighter than the Whoosh I had on the car previously . Have not had a chance yet to wring them out as our weather has been pretty rainy as in torrential. 🤣
So ya maybe in the next few days when we have a brief window of dryness of course the canyons are littered with rocks and debris.
Yes, keep me updated on how they perform please (y)

The Wilwood off-the-shelf BBK is good for street and entry-level track. Stopping distance change over stock is real. If that is your intended use, they are fine. They fit under many 16" wheels, and I was able to make them fit under 15" with custom brackets and smaller rotors.

However, for heavy-duty track use, the calipers don't handle heat and extreme load well. I had two sets fail badly; the seals ruptured and I quickly lost fluid.

The third didn't fail, but the caliper and rotor combo ate even the best track pads up very quickly. Ultimately, I ended up having a larger, custom Wilwood kit made by TCE. That kit has been outstanding under tough conditions, but I was forced to go back to a 17" wheel and spacers.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #11
So the Wilwood front and rear brakes have arrived! I ordered the drilled and grooved set with red callipers from Ron at Whoosh motorsport. I didn’t mind whether I had the plain rotors or drilled and grooved, but Whoosh motorsport had the drilled and grooved set in stock.
It sounds like a perfect upgrade for me as it will be for fast road use only. It’s the weight saving and the fact you don’t need any spacers that was the clincher for me.

I’ve also ordered a light weight lithium battery that has 630 cold cranking amps and 20 ah (lithium) or 60 ah pbEq which weights in at under 5lbs saving about 25lbs in total. Which will help lighten the front end.
Looking to get everything fitted in the next two weeks and will report back!

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Congrats! Let us know how it goes with swapping the rear hubs out to the drum versions. that's the one part that gives me hesitation with doing the rears as well.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #13
Congrats! Let us know how it goes with swapping the rear hubs out to the drum versions. that's the one part that gives me hesitation with doing the rears as well.
So the kit I’ve had from Whoosh motorsport has the rear parking brake cable.
Is it just a case of getting it all fitted in a garage or do I require any additional parts?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So the kit I’ve had from Whoosh motorsport has the rear parking brake cable.
Is it just a case of getting it all fitted in a garage or do I require any additional parts?
if our cars have the cable and the kit has the cable because it was made for
I do not think he has too. Since our hubs are already disc setup he should be able to just put the disc setup from Wilwood on it .
I even wonder if we need that parking brake cable as our car already has a parking brake cable for disc unless of course our cable has a different end that does not attach to the Wilwood caliper.

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #15
When speaking to Ron from Whoosh Motorsport he believed that I needed the cable kit so I thought it would be best to get it just in case.
I’ll let you all know how easy it was to fit everything after taking the car into the garage. It shouldn’t be too much of a job as the garage I’ll be taking the car to service and build M-Sport R2 cars so it should be quite straightforward for them hopefully!

OP
Rhys1983
Thread Starter #18
What pads did you get in the Wilwood kit?
I’ve gone with the BP-10 that came with the kit. I thought that these would be the best for my intended use.
The Revo Alcon kit that I have now has some Ferodo ds2500 pads which I find has too aggressive an initial bite which can cause the car to nose dive and kill momentum too fast.
Fitting the front and rear Wilwoods should hopefully help with brake balance and the BP-10 pads hopefully won’t be too aggressive for fast road use.

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
I've always viewed Wilwood as being for the North American Muscle cars and not something meant for our small sporty cars or vans.. As an alterative, Brembo, Yellow Racing or Ceika would have been a better selection. Ceika being one of the best because of the many options allowed within their set up.

Fusion Works

Yellow Racing and Ceika are Chinese made garbage, on par with the Whoosh branded products. If you want cheap stancy boy junk there you go. If you want reliable products made in America or UK, by people that know how to build brakes stick with Wilwood, AP, Alcon, Brembo (Italy), etc. There is a reason Brembo, AP, and Alcon are OEM suppliers.

Wilwood has been in racing since the 80s. Bill Wilwood created many of the brake advances seen in NASCAR's early days. I have no problem putting Wilwood on any car, sporty car or muscle car. Hell "muscle cars" hold lap records at Nurburgring now. These ain't your dad's American made garbage anymore.

You will probably want to swap to the BP20, they are much more like the OEM summer tire pad compound but with less dust. My BP20s bite just as good and dust about half as much as my OEM rear pads. I could almost run white wheels with the Wilwood pads.