Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood Rotor Problem Update

antarctica24

So,

Just for those who might be interested. Because I cannot be down for any reason, I opted to purchase a second set of rotors while Wilwood tried to figure out the problem with the first set.

I took the drilled and slotted set off and replaced with a solid set. The problem completely went away.

The set sold to me from 2J Racing did indeed have a Brand New Wilwood rotor out of round from the factory.

I would like to note that 2J racing felt like they were harmless in this situation and were not willing to really do anything to assist including swapping the rotor out based on the fact that they felt the rotor was not theirs but manufactured by Wilwood. Wilwood was almost being adamant about not wanting to do anything because I did not purchase the rotor directly from them. However, after a extensive conversation with Wilwood they have changed their tune and offered me an RMA to replace the bad rotor.

While you may expect to get new rotors with no problems, this is the 2nd Wilwood rotor I have purchased from the company that came out of round from the factory, so the comments from 2J about them never seeing the problem does not mean it is not possible. They are not checking the rotors before they leave their company so I am not sure they would know it anyway and they certainly are not going to stand behind the product they are selling.

If you buy a set, take the rotor out of the box, do not mount it to the hat. Take a micrometer (you can buy at Lowes), about $30 and mark 12 locations on the rotor like a clock. Measure each position and over all there should not be any deviation of more than .5 mm. The bad one I had was out 1.0mm in two places. It was enough to cause the entire steering wheel to shake violently.

For anyone reading this that is a reseller let me offer this, as a manufacturer of performance clutches, I don't make the pressure plates, and I don't manufacturer the disc, or the throw-out bearings, But if I sell a kit to a customer, and the customer has a problem, it is my responsibility to do whatever is necessary to fix the problem. This includes and not limited to, cost of R and R the tranny, Cost of shipping customer replacement clutch, and replacing the clutch at my expense. Our clutches come with a lifetime warranty on the disc. If you are not prepared to do what is necessary to back products you sell, you should not be selling them to the general public.

I agree that any one that sells a part / product retail should also act as middle man between the customer and the manufacture to make sure their customer is happy and that the product warranty is honored. I would never deal with a company that takes no responsibility for the products they sell and makes me deal directly with the manufacture if there is a problem. However, I would not expect them to cover the labor.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #3
ManonFire,

Don't get me wrong it was my decision to cover the R and R of trannies. It is an extreme example of what I consider customer service, but everything else you said it right on the money. Imagine if you bought something in a retail store. 99% of everything sold in the US today comes from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, India and you bought something like clothes, appliances, TV, Stereo, and you had a problem, you go back to the store, and store says here is the number to the manufacture in China. Even Best Buy and HHGregg will stand behind what they sell.

Not that Brake parts are something you buy in Walmart but Walmart will take anything back for any reason. This was not an any reason problem and I was not asking for a refund. This was a bad part from the moment it left Wilwood. Maybe that's why theirs are so much cheaper than the competition like Stoptech and Brembo. What people don't understand is lets say I paid $160.00 per rotor, which is what I was charged. For 2J racing to replace it, it cost them somewhere between $100 and $130.00 per rotor. For Wilwood to even question it (why would anyone make that story up on a brand new rotor) Wilwoods manufacturing cost is more than likely in the $40-60 range, just for the rotor, not the hat.

If your going to sell it, and not stand behind it, we as consumers need to stand up for each other and that is what this is. 2J Racing did not stand behind their product they were selling. The correct thing to do would be to have sent me a replacement rotor when I measured it out and identified the problem and they should have dealt with Wilwood not sent me to deal with Wilwood. Poor Customer Service.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Glad Wilwood make it right for you.

If your going to sell it, and not stand behind it, we as consumers need to stand up for each other and that is what this is. 2J Racing did not stand behind their product they were selling. The correct thing to do would be to have sent me a replacement rotor when I measured it out and identified the problem and they should have dealt with Wilwood not sent me to deal with Wilwood. Poor Customer Service.
Agree 100%

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Glad to hear WW is taking care of you, sorry to hear what it took to make it happen.

As a long time business owner I would of taken care of you right away and then dealt with the manufacturer.

Rick

koozy

3000 Post Club
thanks for the update. I know who to stay away from now and who to consider. [thumb]
Customer service needs to be paramount. Sometimes companies need to eat it, cause word of mouth or in this case the internet travels far. this is not the first incident I've read about this company here on the forum that didn't do the right thing.