Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Window Tint... Is it all the same?

SrsBsns

The window tint on my FiST started bubbling pretty badly. The previous owner was the one that had it installed and I don't have any of their warranty info, so I just peeled it all off. While I actually like the fishbowl look, living in San Diego makes tint a must-have, especially in the hotter months. I mainly want to keep heat out.

From what I understand, ceramic tint is the way to go. But is all ceramic tint created equal?

I found a shop that is willing to use Global QDP ceramic tint on all the windows (minus the windshield) for just less than $300. I called another shop and they laughed at that number and said that $300 wouldn't even cover the cost of their ceramic film and that they've never heard of Global. They were quoting me around $450.

I searched a little and it looks like Global QDP is legit, but I'm not sure how it compares to the more well-known brands, and more importantly, how it compares. Anyone have any insight?

Lastly, the shop offers a lifetime warranty on the tint for fading, peeling, bubbling, etc... so as long as I stay in San Diego, I can take it back in should anything like that happen.

Oh, and last question... does the tint % matter in keeping the car cooler? I'm thinking about going for ~35% as I don't want to be too dark and have visibility problems at night (or get hassled for tint that's too dark).

The % is how much light is let though, I'd assume the lower the % the less heat

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #3
The % is how much light is let though, I'd assume the lower the % the less heat

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I had done some reading that with the new IR types of films, that they do a good job of blocking IR and UV light which helps keep heat out, even if they're not dark tint percentages. I just don't have any anecdotal support.

I have global qdp on my car and am quite happy with it, no fading or discoloration but I've only had the tint for ~3 years so take that for what it's worth. The tint shop I got it from was pretty big on that tint and happy to talk smack about other brands they carried such as llumar fading to purple, everything I was able to find online at the time was pretty positive too.

I ran 70 on the windshield and I think 38% on the rear and sides and it has cut down on temperatures quite a bit. Ceramic is good for taking the temperatures down without needing to go overly dark.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #5
I have global qdp on my car and am quite happy with it, no fading or discoloration but I've only had the tint for ~3 years so take that for what it's worth. The tint shop I got it from was pretty big on that tint and happy to talk smack about other brands they carried such as llumar fading to purple, everything I was able to find online at the time was pretty positive too.
That's super helpful, thanks! 3 years is pretty good.

I figured that most shops would just talk trash about the brands they don't use or other shops, but I was just worried that I was going the "too good to be true" route and saving $150 or so when it wouldn't be worth it down the road.

I like Formula One Pinnacle or 3M films. I had 3M crystalline on my FR-S and put 70% on the windshield. It made an enormous difference in the heat buildup in the cabin while parked in the summer. Expensive, but worth every penny while I was living in the Mojave desert.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Close enough to be the same when it comes to high quality tints such as ceramic. No quality tint fades to purple these days. Brand X maybe. $300 is low for ceramic. Verify the box it is in...read on to see why. Ceramic tints will LOOK foggy at a certain angle to the sun, but it's just an effect from the embedded particles and only at that perfect angle. Global is legit and huge. Between all the big brands, it's hard to go wrong. NOW HERE THIS....my tint shop CLAIMED they used global, but after it was done I called global and the shop is not listed. They also said the warranty is nationwide. (if the dealer is authorized...) I the installer back and he got defensive...nuff said, F^#@ that guy. Did they get it from another shop? Was it Global? idk. Did I ask to see the box? Nope...my mistake. That is something I will demand in the future. I will just tell them it's just a matter of trust, but verify (QC check)

Here in the lovely CommunisWealth of Virginia, we barely get any shading on the front windows. It all goes back to a trooper getting shot because he could not see through the window and stood directly across from it. One bad apple and we all have to pay the price. Whose fault is it...lots of debate.

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 50% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

The Fd up thing is: section H. "Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent." Wait.....Vans and trucks can go limo dark in the back, but hatch's cannot? I call BS. Does that mean my Mazda 5 with 3rd row seating and use for hauling 700lbs of flagstone, a trailer for #57 bluestone, etc., doesn't qualify for multipurpose unless I do Uber duty?

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 50% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So the percentage does mean less light gets through so less heat, for sure, but the amount of actual UVB that gets through can vary a lot between brands and their different product lines... So yeah 35% is what is the legal max for in most places that have specific laws, obviously guy post above only 50% is allowed when 70% is stock, so that sucks, so it can vary but above 35% for the max is pretty rare... So, I went to a place not much more than a little hole in the wall and they basically had only generic and 3M's lowest line, which I got in 20%. I do really wish there was something between 20 and 35%, say 25% among good brands but it does look good from the outside at least but is a little dark for my taste at night... Anyway, was looking at their display and at the same %, side by side, the 3M looked lighter compared to the generic but also had their listed light and UVB %'s on them and the 3M was vastly better... So, I'd web search more on tint in general online if you want to read into it more, but 35% in a known decent brand would be the easy default decision if you don't want too dark and just be done with it.

A lot of places control what you put on the front windows and windshield but allow whatever on the back.

Lots of places do restrict use of any mirrored films. Which I'm fine with because it's fugly.

HBEcoBeaST

Name brand ceramic usually means you're safe. Higher tier ceramic offers better heat rejection even at lighter %.

In California you'll be safe tinting the windshield 70 or lighter. Really helps with heat rejection.

I have llumar ctx 15% on the FiST and it is amazing. Great heat rejection, clarity, and looks, but a bit darker than I like to risk and I've had several cops mention it but no tickets yet.

Just got the R tinted Xpel plus 30% sides, 70 windshield, 5 rear windscreen and although it's lighter than the FiST, heat rejection is insane. The llumar is excellent but the Xpel is better than even Pinnacle Formula One.

Go with a legitimate retailer of a name brand. The one time you have a warranty issue it'll be worth it. Cheap tint is cheap tint...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I got pulled over for tint in CA the day I had it installed (that'll teach me to try to enjoy Mulholland drive...) When I lived there and the guy didn't even notice the 70% I had on the windshield. He kind of looked at it and went, "that's not tinted is it?" So I said no and he just wrote up the two front side windows.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #13
This is all great feedback. Thanks! I'm thinking I'm going to wind up going 55 or 70 all around, as long as that helps with the heat.

I got pulled over for tint in CA the day I had it installed (that'll teach me to try to enjoy Mulholland drive...) When I lived there and the guy didn't even notice the 70% I had on the windshield. He kind of looked at it and went, "that's not tinted is it?" So I said no and he just wrote up the two front side windows.

That sucks... Cops are always out on Mulholland and they'll get you for anything. I haven't been out that way since moving down to SD, but they're like that on Palomar too. I got a front plate ticket because the cop just wanted to make sure I left with a souvenir.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I know wisconsins law says no windscreen and i think 50 on the sides. Folks get by with way darker without getting harassed it seems. Id love to do 70% ceramic all the way around. I figure if it looks even all the way around it shouldnt be glaringly obvious that its tinted.

TemecFist

This is all great feedback. Thanks! I'm thinking I'm going to wind up going 55 or 70 all around, as long as that helps with the heat.

That sucks... Cops are always out on Mulholland and they'll get you for anything. I haven't been out that way since moving down to SD, but they're like that on Palomar too. I got a front plate ticket because the cop just wanted to make sure I left with a souvenir.
Dang. I run Palomar quite a bit, I've never had any problems (knock on wood).....and I run it like this sometimes. Lol 20200615_111537.jpg

TemecFist

The window tint on my FiST started bubbling pretty badly. The previous owner was the one that had it installed and I don't have any of their warranty info, so I just peeled it all off. While I actually like the fishbowl look, living in San Diego makes tint a must-have, especially in the hotter months. I mainly want to keep heat out.

From what I understand, ceramic tint is the way to go. But is all ceramic tint created equal?

I found a shop that is willing to use Global QDP ceramic tint on all the windows (minus the windshield) for just less than $300. I called another shop and they laughed at that number and said that $300 wouldn't even cover the cost of their ceramic film and that they've never heard of Global. They were quoting me around $450.

I searched a little and it looks like Global QDP is legit, but I'm not sure how it compares to the more well-known brands, and more importantly, how it compares. Anyone have any insight?

Lastly, the shop offers a lifetime warranty on the tint for fading, peeling, bubbling, etc... so as long as I stay in San Diego, I can take it back in should anything like that happen.

Oh, and last question... does the tint % matter in keeping the car cooler? I'm thinking about going for ~35% as I don't want to be too dark and have visibility problems at night (or get hassled for tint that's too dark).
I actually have one of my cars done in Global QDP ceramic. 5% on all the windows, 35% on the windshield. It is a good film. One of my other cars is done in Llumar (5% windows, 35% windshield) and there is a difference between the two (Llumar being better), but the Llumar was quite a bit more money. What shop quoted you? I have 2 good shops in Temecula.
As for shades, it does matter. Theres heat REJECTION and then there is visible light. You can get the same heat rejection of a light ceramic film from a carbon If you go super dark (5%). 5% non ceramic and 35% ceramic will have the same heat rejection (but the ceramic will cost you alot more). Hope this helps. If I were you, I would go with 5% on all the back windows, at least 35% on the front 2 windows, and 50% on the windshield, all in ceramic.
Hope this helps.

The Fiesta is 5% ceramic on all the windows, and 35% on the windshield....all in Llumar The Raptor is done in 5% all windows (QDP carbon) 70% on the windshield (QDP ceramic) 20180131_150526.jpg .. 20181218_131305.jpg 20181218_131136.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the super hot summers in TX, I sprung the extra $ for the Huper Optik 30% on all glass except the windshield; I'm considering 70% on the windshield at a later date, but the Hupers set me back some serious $$$ (almost $500 including sunroof glass) so I didn't do the windshield (not sure they would have done it anyway). Huper Optik is a German company that specializes in airplane windows (expanding its products to vehicles) - the film is a bit thicker, but quite effective in keeping some of that TX summer heat from seeping in. Huper Optik here is usually sold at the more upscale installers so that's where I went. I found myself surrounded by other customers - owners of BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I got the "look" from some of the them when I drove up in my little FiST - talk about being out of place - lol.

When I pulled in to drop off my FR-S for the Crystalline instal the guy was in the middle of doing a wrap on a lambo. [emoji1787]

TemecFist

Due to the super hot summers in TX, I sprung the extra $ for the Huper Optik 30% on all glass except the windshield; I'm considering 70% on the windshield at a later date, but the Hupers set me back some serious $$$ (almost $500 including sunroof glass) so I didn't do the windshield (not sure they would have done it anyway). Huper Optik is a German company that specializes in airplane windows (expanding its products to vehicles) - the film is a bit thicker, but quite effective in keeping some of that TX summer heat from seeping in. Huper Optik here is usually sold at the more upscale installers so that's where I went. I found myself surrounded by other customers - owners of BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I got the "look" from some of the them when I drove up in my little FiST - talk about being out of place - lol.
The Huper Optic is a GREAT film

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #20
I actually have one of my cars done in Global QDP ceramic. 5% on all the windows, 35% on the windshield. It is a good film. One of my other cars is done in Llumar (5% windows, 35% windshield) and there is a difference between the two (Llumar being better), but the Llumar was quite a bit more money. What shop quoted you? I have 2 good shops in Temecula.
As for shades, it does matter. Theres heat REJECTION and then there is visible light. You can get the same heat rejection of a light ceramic film from a carbon If you go super dark (5%). 5% non ceramic and 35% ceramic will have the same heat rejection (but the ceramic will cost you alot more). Hope this helps. If I were you, I would go with 5% on all the back windows, at least 35% on the front 2 windows, and 50% on the windshield, all in ceramic.
Hope this helps.

The Fiesta is 5% ceramic on all the windows, and 35% on the windshield....all in Llumar The Raptor is done in 5% all windows (QDP carbon) 70% on the windshield (QDP ceramic)
Thanks, that's super helpful! I'm tempted to just go with the Global QDP because of the price, knowing that it's good but not the best.

The shop that quoted me just under $300 is Miramar Car Audio https://www.miramarcaraudio.com/services/window-tinting/

They have decent reviews on Yelp, but nobody there actually mentions anything long-term or speaks to the tint brand.

I just found them after googling "Ceramic tint" and calling a few places. Other shops quoted me $450+ so I'm assuming that they're using Llumar or 3M film.

I'm not opposed to going to a different shop and Temecula isn't that much of a hike for me.