Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Window Tint... Is it all the same?

TemecFist

Thanks, that's super helpful! I'm tempted to just go with the Global QDP because of the price, knowing that it's good but not the best.

The shop that quoted me just under $300 is Miramar Car Audio https://www.miramarcaraudio.com/services/window-tinting/

They have decent reviews on Yelp, but nobody there actually mentions anything long-term or speaks to the tint brand.

I just found them after googling "Ceramic tint" and calling a few places. Other shops quoted me $450+ so I'm assuming that they're using Llumar or 3M film.

I'm not opposed to going to a different shop and Temecula isn't that much of a hike for me.
Just remember, Global QDP comes in 2 forms.....carbon and ceramic....they are both called Global QDP (confused me at first also, lol). $350 is a good price. If you were going to go with Llumar or 3m, it would prob be in the $600 range. Make sure you get a Global warranty card. It will have the type of film (ceramic or carbon), the film roll lot #, and the shade. Take some pics when you get it done!!

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #23
Just remember, Global QDP comes in 2 forms.....carbon and ceramic....they are both called Global QDP (confused me at first also, lol). $350 is a good price. If you were going to go with Llumar or 3m, it would prob be in the $600 range. Make sure you get a Global warranty card. It will have the type of film (ceramic or carbon), the film roll lot #, and the shade. Take some pics when you get it done!!
Thanks, I'm going to ask to see the box because I want to verify what they're using. I'm worried that the price is too good to be true and that they're going to try to bait and switch on me.
I don't mind spending more, but I split daily driver duty with the FiST and my bike, so it's not a huge deal if I don't have the best.

TemecFist

I paid $800 on the FR-S for crystalline and its got a lot fewer windows haha. $600 for a ceramic on this car in a top of the line brand would be a great price IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I paid $710 for ceramic including the windshield on my CVPI. I've had alot of cars done
Thanks, I'm going to ask to see the box because I want to verify what they're using. I'm worried that the price is too good to be true and that they're going to try to bait and switch on me.
I don't mind spending more, but I split daily driver duty with the FiST and my bike, so it's not a huge deal if I don't have the best.
I was worried about that the first couple times too. What I did, was let them start the car, then told them I forgot something in the car and needed to go back and get it (I said my mailbox key). Then I looked at what the boxes the film was coming out of. TBH, the only time you can really get bait and switched, is with ceramic. They can tell you its ceramic, but there is no way in truly knowing. Also, call Global themselves, and ask if the shop you are using is an authorized Global dealer. That will tell you ALOT.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #25
I think I'll just walk away if they won't let me see the box or something looks strange on the warranty card. I know they offer the lifetime warranty and also mention that I can get it fixed anywhere that services Global film, but for the price, I'm still skeptical.

I'll give Global a call tomorrow to verify that they're an authorized deal, that's a good idea.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #26
Just to end the thread, I wound up going with a different shop.

I called Global and they did not have the initial shop listed as an installer and gave me a few recommendations in the area.

Wound up going to SD Tint in La Mesa and paying $80 more than the first shop quoted me, but for the peace of mind, I'm happy with it.

I went 30% on the 8 windows and a darker 20% on the rear hatch. It's only been on the car for a few hours now so I can't really give my review, but it looks great.

Obligatory pic:
20200630_152515.jpg

I've had all my cars done at SD Tint. Andrew is a good guy, if anything goes wrong he'll take care of it no questions asked. You're unlikely to experience that though.
I didn't see this thread before or else that's where I would have told you to go. Best tint shop in San Diego IMO

CSM

1000 Post Club
I paid $800 on the FR-S for crystalline and its got a lot fewer windows haha. $600 for a ceramic on this car in a top of the line brand would be a great price IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oooooo another FR-S owner! We are taking over!!!

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #29
I've had all my cars done at SD Tint. Andrew is a good guy, if anything goes wrong he'll take care of it no questions asked. You're unlikely to experience that though.
I didn't see this thread before or else that's where I would have told you to go. Best tint shop in San Diego IMO
Thanks, that's good to hear! Andrew definitely seems like a cool guy, just don't ask him about politics...
Only thing that bugs me is that they turned the lights on for some reason and killed the battery.
They jumped me to get it started to drive home, but apparently that wasn't enough to build up a charge, so the car is currently dead and now I'm pulling the battery to bring it to Autozone to get it charged later today.
But the quality of the tint itself looks excellent.

Thanks, that's good to hear! Andrew definitely seems like a cool guy, just don't ask him about politics...
Only thing that bugs me is that they turned the lights on for some reason and killed the battery.
They jumped me to get it started to drive home, but apparently that wasn't enough to build up a charge, so the car is currently dead and now I'm pulling the battery to bring it to Autozone to get it charged later today.
But the quality of the tint itself looks excellent.
Haha! Yeah he loves to talk and heā€™ll go on political rants for hours if you let him. Especially if he gets into his political ambitions or his opinion on the lockdown. He did my F150 in April, I heard all about it.

Sucks to hear about the battery. I never had any issues with stuff like that. Hopefully charging it works and you donā€™t need a new one

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I actually have one of my cars done in Global QDP ceramic. 5% on all the windows, 35% on the windshield. It is a good film. One of my other cars is done in Llumar (5% windows, 35% windshield) and there is a difference between the two (Llumar being better), but the Llumar was quite a bit more money. What shop quoted you? I have 2 good shops in Temecula.
As for shades, it does matter. Theres heat REJECTION and then there is visible light. You can get the same heat rejection of a light ceramic film from a carbon If you go super dark (5%). 5% non ceramic and 35% ceramic will have the same heat rejection (but the ceramic will cost you alot more). Hope this helps. If I were you, I would go with 5% on all the back windows, at least 35% on the front 2 windows, and 50% on the windshield, all in ceramic.
Hope this helps.

The Fiesta is 5% ceramic on all the windows, and 35% on the windshield....all in Llumar The Raptor is done in 5% all windows (QDP carbon) 70% on the windshield (QDP ceramic) View attachment 31869 .. View attachment 31867 View attachment 31868
Man that FiST looks dark! Love it

dhminer

2000 Post Club
FWIW I had 3M on my FiST for 3 years and it degraded, bubbled, and was generally a POS. My last 4 cars prior to the fiesta all had Llumar which was excellent.

Had the fiesta redone last week with Llumar 35% all around and 80% on the windshield. It's definitely expensive but IMO well worth the price for piece of mind. Also the few Llumar shops I've been to have always done an excellent job with one (Sun Protection in Cary, NC for those that are in the area) being mistaken numerous times for factory tint they had such close margins.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Llumar tint here.....Great stuff* I also have a prescription window banner for glare at night and Bright ass sun during the day so I literally don't have to wear Sunglasses. The banner comes down that far. This tint also helps keep the car from being Lobster pot on a hot day* Looks great all dolled up though!

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Had all 5 windows done on my car by Mission Auto Sound on Mission Road for, wait for it, $80! The tints are as good today as they were when installed on 29 Sep 2014! Don't know what brand they use, but as I say, still perfect after 8 years!