Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Winter is coming...lug nuts and center caps for steelies

rotated my tires today, which have gorilla spline lugs from the previous owner. Tried on one of my 15" steelies to get ready for winter and did not like the way things mated up. The open ended design of the lugs seems like it could promote corrosion of the lug bolts, and they only turned about 4.5x.

TL;DR what lugs do folks use with steel wheels? Also, any center caps you'd recommend?

Are you using a Wheel Spacer to mount the Steelies" If so DO NOT DO THAT. Just 4 1/2 turns on the Lug Nuts indicates that the wheel studs are much too short. My experience is that steel wheels feature the lowest nut seat height of any material wheel. Thus my question about wheel spacers. If you not using spacers you have a much more serious problem and need to get every wheel stud replaced before the wheels come off your car. BTW, with open lug nuts the wheel stud should pass completely thru the nut when the wheel is mounted and tight.

Personally I've always preferred open lug nuts specifically because they do reveal short wheel stud issues. As for rust, learned to drive in the snow belt surrounding Cleveland, Ohio where 12-18 inch snow events can be typical. So lots of salt exposure and not once did I ever have an issue with the lug nuts rusting in place. For that to happen it takes many years of that wheel being untouched and I do not think you will so that. All I ever did was apply a dab of grease to each stud and nut. after the wheel was mounted.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #3
Thanks - no axle spacers.

The 4.5 turns was with the steel on the spare today, as a test for winters. My 15/52s are more like 8-9 turns and I always use threadlocker.

Part of the issue is the deep beveled recess for the 15/52s v what looks like the opposite on the steelies - that’s why I was thinking the lug nuts might be an odd shape (Gorillas).

I’ve got a pic here…

Attachments

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #6
Pressure depends on aspect ratio. If you are running 185/60-15 you can use 35/32 psi if you like, maybe even a pound or two less.
running 195/55s with X-ices from a friendly person on the forum. So a little less sidewall than the 185/60s (107 v 111mm if my math’s right)

SteveS

1000 Post Club
running 195/55s with X-ices from a friendly person on the forum. So a little less sidewall than the 185/60s (107 v 111mm if my math’s right)
You might bump up to 36/33, or just stay at the 35/32. You could probably go all the way down to 32/29 and still not pinch the sidewall on impacts, which is the concern as far as tire damage. Going higher from the damage point is dependent on desired traction/fuel economy.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #8
Are you using a Wheel Spacer to mount the Steelies" If so DO NOT DO THAT. Just 4 1/2 turns on the Lug Nuts indicates that the wheel studs are much too short. My experience is that steel wheels feature the lowest nut seat height of any material wheel. Thus my question about wheel spacers. If you not using spacers you have a much more serious problem and need to get every wheel stud replaced before the wheels come off your car. BTW, with open lug nuts the wheel stud should pass completely thru the nut when the wheel is mounted and tight.

Personally I've always preferred open lug nuts specifically because they do reveal short wheel stud issues. As for rust, learned to drive in the snow belt surrounding Cleveland, Ohio where 12-18 inch snow events can be typical. So lots of salt exposure and not once did I ever have an issue with the lug nuts rusting in place. For that to happen it takes many years of that wheel being untouched and I do not think you will so that. All I ever did was apply a dab of grease to each stud and nut. after the wheel was mounted.
After doing some reading, it looks like my problem may be that I'm using the conical lugs that work well with my 15/52s but seat terribly onto the steelies.

SO...any mag type lugs that folks recommend, since that seems like it will seat much better with steel wheels? (And since I've heard the stock lugs are terrible)

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #9
Bumping this thread - any recommendations for lug nuts with steelies?

My car came with gorillas and no longer has the stock nuts (which are poor quality I understand), but the fit is not great. Thinking of Mag style lugs…

Bumping this thread - any recommendations for lug nuts with steelies?

My car came with gorillas and no longer has the stock nuts (which are poor quality I understand), but the fit is not great. Thinking of Mag style lugs…
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...lugs-and-dpro-camber-plates.29885/post-484786

I am selling my mutekis. I swapped these out on my stock wheels 2 years ago so they are a replacement for the stock lugs. I recently bought new wheels that call for narrow spline lugs so these guys don't work! In great shape and less than 1/2 price of new!!

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #11
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...lugs-and-dpro-camber-plates.29885/post-484786

I am selling my mutekis. I swapped these out on my stock wheels 2 years ago so they are a replacement for the stock lugs. I recently bought new wheels that call for narrow spline lugs so these guys don't work! In great shape and less than 1/2 price of new!!
Reviving this thread since I never found a solution for center caps on the steelies. The problem is the axle shaft sticks out too far. Are hub caps the only way to protect the shaft and axle nut from the elements (namely: salt)?

It's almost spring, but for next year double check the inner-diameter of your steelies' hub opening and pick a taller center cap from this vendor on Amazon. Lots to choose from, including some taller ones that look like they would probably clear the axle shaft. They have a hole though, so some kind of decal or plug would also be needed. Opportunity for a domed decal from Etsy or something to dress up the steelies, maybe.