Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Won't start Immobilizer Malfunction

SKM

I need some help! I have a 2015 ST. Recently had the front right axle replaced, and a new battery. Ran great for a week, then after turning it off, it would not restart. I get a screen saying immobilizer malfunction and steering fault. I disconnected the battery, put new batteries in the key fobs, checked all fuses. Still will not start and I get the immobilizer malfunction warning and steering fault. Nearest Ford dealer is 40 miles away. Any suggestions?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
With a code reader; do you get any codes?
Is it possible you disconnected or damaged a sensor on the steering rack?

OP
S

SKM

Thread Starter #3
Have code reader on the way. Car is not running so didn't want a tow bill (yet) until we have checked error codes.
I had the work done by someone else on axle and he says no sensors were damaged.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
When you research this error message, the vast majority of the time it is an electrical fault which causes this problem. It can be anything from a bad battery (even though you just replaced it--there's another forum user who bought a battery which was bad and it took buying another one to fix) to a bad ground to a bad door or tailgate switch. It can also be a dead battery in the key fob. I also found a method for resetting the immobilizer, but it required a Fiesta that uses a key to start.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
FiST-PS.jpg
Since you did work on an axel and you are getting a steering error, please check these connections.

OP
S

SKM

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for info. I will be checking out the battery. Also ask some more questions of mechanic about the steering fault.