Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Interesting - so too much rear downforce with the rear wing?

Are you running the trailer set up now and not using the car as a tow vehicle? Could allow you to install a rear diffuser... :rolleyes:

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #562

Are you running the trailer set up now and not using the car as a tow vehicle? Could allow you to install a rear diffuser... :rolleyes:
I think it’s more drag than anything. Downforce is there but I lost 10mph up top. Sweepers were a lot faster and more controlled. It wouldn’t pull past 124mph on the back straight though and that’s slooow.. I intended to pull the wing off (or change the angle of my splitter) and test top end again today but I just said f$&k it and practiced a few turns I struggle with instead. I mounted the RT660s and added sway bars, so relearning the car through fast turns was a lot of fun. I’ll fix the top end but it wasn’t really a priority this weekend. I also work for the event organizer, so managing COVID safety and communication presented its own challenges and occupied all of my off-track time.

Man, the Goldcoast FoRS rear brake setup with Stoptech ST 40s in the front is killer. I could stand on the brakes over and over again without any problems. I never even activated ABS with the RT660s which was pretty crazy. Those tires are super sticky. I bet I kill them in two or three weekends which sucks because they’re expensive. I really wish I could buy an 8” wide RT615K+. That would be perfect for me.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #565

I bought that trailer cheap. I have plans for it as well. I mainly use it to drop the car off for work I can’t do myself. It’s pretty convenient having my truck at the track but I’d rather drive the car there and back because it’s A LOT faster. My Tacoma needs to be regeared to 4:10 or 4:56 to help it tow easier. I won’t do that until it breaks, which could be never. It did ok though.

the duke

Yea, downforce usually equals drag - sorry, should have specified.

You'll get it sorted!
No. Downforce is the downward push that has completely overcome the lift of the car. You cannot have downforce if the car still produces lift. I highly doubt the rear wing is adding enough push to completely negate the rear lift of the vehicle. Reduce lift? Absolutely. Downforce? No.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #567
Please do not use downforce and reducing lift interchangeably. They are different phenomenon.
My goal is to reduce lift over 100mph. I just want my car to feel like it does at 140mph like it does at 80mph. We’re working on it. I’m not an aeronautical engineer so I’m relying on my engineer friends to help balance it.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
No. Downforce is the downward push that has completely overcome the lift of the car. You cannot have downforce if the car still produces lift. I highly doubt the rear wing is adding enough push to completely negate the rear lift of the vehicle. Reduce lift? Absolutely. Downforce? No.
Certain items produce downforce resulting in overall drag increase.

Having a wing that creates so much drag and no downforce is... odd. So I assumed that if it was creating that much drag, the downforces were there as well.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #569
My buddy suggested the wing is too thick for its depth among other things. I said “OK. Can you build a correct one for my setup?” and he said “Sure”. That’s what I’m doing. We changed the angle and I gained 2mph consistently (I’m consistent). He said that was significant but I disagreed because it could’ve been three tailwinds and he disagreed with me disagreeing and I just said “Ok let’s just build a new one and see if I can hit 134 again and still rip sweepers”. I’m not very knowledgeable about aero stuff. It’s all for fun. Sometimes shit don’t work and I think this could be one of those times. I’ll figure it out and post up later on. I trust my buddy though. Some fast ass proven cars have his jewelry hanging off of them so I figured I’d pamper my Fiesta lol. It’s not going anywhere.

Edit: I went from 121/122 (3 hot laps) to 124 (3 hot laps). I was 134/5 before the aero, but it was sketchy coming out of T9 into the dip to T10a. I just want the 134/5 without the sketchy unweighted movement from lift. That’s why I added an air dam, splitter and (what I thought was) a small wing. I don’t think the car can go faster than 135 without more power or me losing 25lbs. I’m not dieting.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #578
Pro Alloy is tube fin. If you want bar plate go with Bravo Alpha. Whooshmotorsports can help you decide What’s best. He sells both.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5