Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

Erick_V

Love the color of the roll bar. Thank you for posting so many pics, I've only seen one car in person with it and it was all covered. I want to purchase the roll bar next year and run a very similar setup. I'm also plan on running the planted seat rails so I'd be interested in the size and pitch of those (y)(y)

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #702
Love the color of the roll bar. Thank you for posting so many pics, I've only seen one car in person with it and it was all covered. I want to purchase the roll bar next year and run a very similar setup. I'm also plan on running the planted seat rails so I'd be interested in the size and pitch of those (y)(y)
You’re welcome. I wish I’d had documentation like this when I began. I’ll summarize it in a new thread later. The Autopower Race Roll Bar fit is absolutely perfect. I’ve never had an aftermarket part fit as well. Even the Planted bracket has to be drilled to work with Planted side mounts!! WTF?! Do yourself a favor too and have multiple very hard and sharp drill bits.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Coming along real nicely. Not to be "that guy", but was your intention to use Grade 5 nuts/bolts for the mounting of the roll cage to the chassis? I would suggest taking a second look at those and upgrading to grade 8 if you can. I would say 9 times out of 10 it won't matter, but in a crazy side impact it could change the outcome of the crash.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #704
Coming along real nicely. Not to be "that guy", but was your intention to use Grade 5 nuts/bolts for the mounting of the roll cage to the chassis? I would suggest taking a second look at those and upgrading to grade 8 if you can. I would say 9 times out of 10 it won't matter, but in a crazy side impact it could change the outcome of the crash.
That's what shipped with the bar and I thought the same thing. Coincidentally, I was short a few bolts and did end up buying Grade 8 to fill those holes. If twelve of those bolts fail, I suppose I'd be dead anyways.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
More progress but it’s still not finished. The reinforcement plates are welded and painted, the roll bat is installed and bolted in, the carpet is cut and back in place, the eye bolts for the harness are mounted to the floor with 1/8” plates installed underneath and the seat spacers are finished. I need four longer bolts to bolt the seat to the Planted bracket. I’ll pick them up tomorrow.. Once I have them, I can install the OMP seat, Bridgemoto 6-point harness and the console. The rest of the interior will have to wait until next week. This is no quick job by any means. Everything associated with the roll bar and harness has been reinforced to meet or exceed any sanctions I decide to compete with. Here’s a few pics:

View attachment 35927 View attachment 35928 View attachment 35929 View attachment 35930 View attachment 35931 View attachment 35932 View attachment 35933
All I can say is wow!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
That's what shipped with the bar and I thought the same thing. Coincidentally, I was short a few bolts and did end up buying Grade 8 to fill those holes. If twelve of those bolts fail, I suppose I'd be dead anyways.
Grade 5 will bend and then break - good for suspension components

Grade 8 will hold more but they're more brittle and will just snap at max load.

I'd say grade 5's are fine for this application, but that's just my $0.02

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Grade 5 will bend and then break - good for suspension components

Grade 8 will hold more but they're more brittle and will just snap at max load.

I'd say grade 5's are fine for this application, but that's just my $0.02
I learned something new today! I think you are correct in why grade 5 is provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
SCCA GCR rules say this:
Fasteners for bolted or riveted mounting plates must be Grade 5/Metric 8.8 or better with a
minimum diameter of 5/16”.

SCORE rules require Grade 8.

NHRA requires welded, not bolts.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #711
And now you have me shopping for their U-Weld bars or even the bolt in...

What is the part number of the piece you purchased? Was it shipped already welded?
https://www.autopowerindustries.com/applications.html
70552 Race Roll Bar. The harness and diagonal bars are welded to the main hoop. The two rear bars slip onto the long sleeve and have a single bolt in each that attaches them to the main hoop. Call Brad at Autopower. I also asked for the additional plates that we welded to the floor and wheel arch.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5