Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,182
Wonder if there’s any real ill effect caused by leaving the upper and lower cowls off during dry days. This is undoubtedly the most effective “hood vent” although I wonder if the lower cowl purposely diverts air behind the engine to aid in cooling the turbo. Probably huh?? Edit: It’s gotta let way more heat out from the back side of the engine. I’m gonna try it at Road Atlanta this week.

4D8DBF4D-12EB-49AB-B382-6C5BE46977AB.jpeg F858AC51-FB6C-4B54-B582-545D1A719045.jpeg

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,183
These are next for the build:
1) custom rear diffuser
2) convince a local member to build me a set of his rockers so I can create a flat floor 😊
3) S280, injectors and HPFP (or a WOR setup)

the duke

Wonder if there’s any real ill effect caused by leaving the upper and lower cowls off during dry days. This is undoubtedly the most effective “hood vent” although I wonder if the lower cowl purposely diverts air behind the engine to aid in cooling the turbo. Probably huh?? Edit: It’s gotta let way more heat out from the back side of the engine. I’m gonna try it at Road Atlanta this week.

View attachment 50478 View attachment 50479
Disagree. Base of windshield is typically a higher-pressure zone from stagnant/unattached air. This typically promotes inward flow (Windshield forward) and screws with the under hood pressure as a whole, as you're now pressurizing it from the front and rear and creates a turbulent/stagnate air pocket. This air in turn is now all high-pressure and screws with the balance of the car front to rear in regards to lift. Remember: Neutral lift is fine front and rear, it's when one end is at an extreme when cars become unbalanced. This could also disrupt airflow through the radiator, but I don't think we have enough ducting to really cause major issues. See example:
1659997739184.png

Cowl hoods work off the same principle (Granted the old 60s muscle car hoods were more vertical. This is exactly why the fresh air vents are placed at the base of the cowl as well. It's capturing the natural high-pressure area so when the vent is opened, it naturally wants to expand (High pressure into low pressure) into the vent and provide fresh air with near zero additional drag.

If you want to cool the turbo a NACA duct similar to the Type R and Evo X would be best. Just enough to cool the turbo without disturbing most of the air. To pull air out from under the hood you need a rearward facing duct/extractor. This will allow the stagnant high pressure air to push into the fast low pressure air as it moves over the hood/past the windshield and literally flow outwards/get pulled into the outside air. you need to have this vent forward enough to be in the low-pressure fast moving air however. This is why so many race car hoods have the vents just after the radiator. Highest charged/hottest air (Wants to expand) that is in the lowest pressure zone (just rearward of the front leading edge).
1659997284082.png

Good Read:
https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2018/8/1/flow-form-understanding-how-aero-really-works

With that said, these are high orchistrated examples of aero-driven cars. You won't know until you try removing the set-up, but I bet a few temp. probes and some basic yarn tuft tests would tell you a lot.

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I agree with @the duke: the area in front of the windshield is high pressure. The big $$$ rally guys figured out that the best place for vents is the upper corners of the hood. I haven't tuff-ed the car but I can feel plenty of heat venting out of the Verus vents in my hood. My splitter doesn't go as far back as yours and I'm not letting as much air into the front of the car. For kicks, I might have, allegedly, headed to my favorite empty stretch of highway where I could hit > 120 and I don't have the problems that you do with the rear of my FiST and I haven't opened up the rear grid (yet).

I'll bet you a case of our respective favorite that your rear aero problem will get much better if you pull the bumper cover, tape up all the gaps around the heat-exchangers to make sure that all the air that gets in passes through a heat exchanger, tape up the bottom half of the grill, returning it to stock-ish, and add hood vents, all without reducing heat-exchanger performance.

If you flat-bottom the car the rear aero problem will get much worse. Flat-bottom cars duct the air that enters the front of the air out with hood and vender vents. Only the air that makes it under the splitter charges the diffuser.

the duke

I agree with @the duke: the area in front of the windshield is high pressure. The big $$$ rally guys figured out that the best place for vents is the upper corners of the hood. I haven't tuff-ed the car but I can feel plenty of heat venting out of the Verus vents in my hood. My splitter doesn't go as far back as yours and I'm not letting as much air into the front of the car. For kicks, I might have, allegedly, headed to my favorite empty stretch of highway where I could hit > 120 and I don't have the problems that you do with the rear of my FiST and I haven't opened up the rear grid (yet).

I'll bet you a case of our respective favorite that your rear aero problem will get much better if you pull the bumper cover, tape up all the gaps around the heat-exchangers to make sure that all the air that gets in passes through a heat exchanger, tape up the bottom half of the grill, returning it to stock-ish, and add hood vents, all without reducing heat-exchanger performance.

If you flat-bottom the car the rear aero problem will get much worse. Flat-bottom cars duct the air that enters the front of the air out with hood and vender vents. Only the air that makes it under the splitter charges the diffuser.
Nonsense, just blow the diffuser! :D
1660001581355.png

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,187
Gotcha. So the area above~behind the headlights is the ideal location for hood vents then? This area in yellow tape:
C40514E2-DB1A-4DF6-909D-C8AB291BA97C.jpeg

Last edited:

the duke

Gotcha. So the area above~behind the headlights is the ideal location for hood vents then? This area in yellow tape:
View attachment 50483

Edit: I’ll pickup some yarn, tape it to the car and mount a GoPro so I can record what’s actually happening over 100mph. I can’t find anything definitive online so this is the best option to make sure I install them in the most optimal position. Maybe it’ll be helpful to others as well.
Nerd out:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/aero-mods-and-cooling.7895/

your location is where others seem to fall on, and matches what the WRC/rally cars do.

Fusion Works

I agree don't try to vent through the base of the windshield. That is one of the highest pressure areas of the front of the car. It will hurt cooling. Its just as bad as the stupid Honda kiddies that do the hood hinge spacers.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,190

Fusion Works

One thing, I don't agree with his air damn statement. I ran without the airdam on my car last week and it cooled just fine. I had no splitter, just left it all off and ran the car back and forth in normal AL weather at 90+ degrees, with AC. That may be my air duct, though.

the duke

I’ll save you some time. Took this only way to work this morning. Use the moisture to track the attached air and visualize airflow. The base of the windshield isn’t moving at all, it starts to move about 1/4 up. Dirty cars are great for a poor man’s flow fluid. Stock exterior ST C70A1DCD-715B-4BF4-BEA3-076F4DB397AE.jpeg

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,193
I reinstalled the cowl, driver headlight, removed my canards (for testing) and ordered a set of SICO hood vents since they’re the only ones I could find that install in roughly the correct location. Looks like everyone else it out of business.. I will build a cover/drain underneath them for rainy track days. They’re ginormous but I figured worth a shot.

E4B3C18D-4313-43DD-ACA2-67653589B4C4.jpeg 4B585836-738B-4ED5-A334-D462681C7E8C.jpeg

dhminer

2000 Post Club
1) custom rear diffuser
2) convince a local member to build me a set of his rockers so I can create a flat floor 😊
My 2860 + WOR modified manifold will be for sale before too long if you’re interested in a non s280 option sir

Taz

I reinstalled the cowl, driver headlight, removed my canards (for testing) and ordered a set of SICO hood vents since they’re the only ones I could find that install in roughly the correct location. Looks like everyone else it out of business.. I will build a cover/drain underneath them for rainy track days. They’re ginormous but I figured worth a shot.

View attachment 50550 View attachment 50551
Holy cow! Those are some honkin' great vents there! Aren't you concerned about the weather, or do you live in a hot and dry climate? Even if you do, what about birds shitting and wildlife getting in there?

Taz

Small children will get trapped in those when you haul ass through the school zones.
Oh, really? That's an added bonus then! Trouble is getting them dislodged, which could prove troublesome. :unsure: Maybe he could consider mesh like I plan to fit to THESE once I get them fitted. I plan to get the mesh in either gold or bronze.

Last edited:
OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,198
Holy cow! Those are some honkin' great vents there! Aren't you concerned about the weather, or do you live in a hot and dry climate? Even if you do, what about birds shitting and wildlife getting in there?
They’ll have a cover underneath if it rains. It’s not a concern for me though. My car is garaged and covered at tracks. I can’t remember the last time I drove it in the rain. Definitely been awhile.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,199
Small children will get trapped in those when you haul ass through the school zones.
Hey, I see easy access to the coolant and brake fluid tanks and I can probably change my turbo without popping the hood so winner winner chicken dinner winner winner SHEEN dinner 🤣

jeff

2000 Post Club
1) custom rear diffuser
Yo Matt...haven't kept up on your build but I read this today........did the X47 blow up or are you just looking for a bit more oomph?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5