Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Not the best but that’s the sacrifice for better grip I suppose. I might get six hours out of them if I’m lucky. Definitely heat cycle them properly. It’s a pain in the ass but everyone I know that hammers them out of the box bitches about premature failure. I haven’t had any issues and attribute it to following the instructions from Falken. 😂
Following instructions?! Have you tried getting Tire Rack to heat cycle them for you? Always wondered if that's worth a darn

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,282
Following instructions?! Have you tried getting Tire Rack to heat cycle them for you? Always wondered if that's worth a darn
I’ve never had Tirerack heat cycle them but I have used others. It didn’t seemed to work as well as going out for a 20min session at 75% pace then taking them off the car for 24hrs. That’s really hard to do unless you have two sets of wheels and two days on track though.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,284
The car was absolutely rollin’ today even with boost limited to 25.4. Traction wasn’t the best with damp conditions so I ran my rain/cold weather map from Jared at Stratified. It’s still fast but I need to install the hood vents, have Johnny at NineLives rebuild my wing (it’s warped from where there was too much heat from welding a mount), build a functional diffuser and cut a couple of holes in the hatch to vent piled up air in the cabin. I’ll do all that and pull out more of the interior this winter so I can build a full cage. After the cage we will make more power.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,285
I learned A LOT at Barber Motorsports Park today:

1) Unplugging a crash sensor DOES NOT prevent the false crash detection issue.

2) Unplugging the RCM (under the console) DEFINITELY DOES prevent the crash detection issue and ABS is retained. I also think traction control still works but I’ll test that next time we have a skid pad open. The dash is lit up with a wrench, airbag and traction control light while the RCM is unplugged. Pressing the traction control button changes nothing on the dash.

Overall it was an extremely productive day and I successfully lapped for a couple of hours without issues once the RCM was disconnected. Prior to that, I couldn’t complete a single hot lap without the car falsely detecting a crash. I still need to determine if an inertia switch for the LPFP and HPFP are required when the RCM is unplugged. If you choose to unplug your RCM, do so at your own risk. I still do not know if the LPFP and HPFP will shutoff in an actual crash with the RCM unplugged. If anyone knows PLEASE comment.

2) Unplugging the RCM (under the console) DEFINITELY DOES prevent the crash detection issue and ABS is retained. I also think traction control still works but I’ll test that next time we have a skid pad open. The dash is lit up with a wrench, airbag and traction control light while the RCM is unplugged. Pressing the traction control button changes nothing on the dash.

Overall it was an extremely productive day and I successfully lapped for a couple of hours without issues once the RCM was disconnected. Prior to that, I couldn’t complete a single hot lap without the car falsely detecting a crash. I still need to determine if an inertia switch for the LPFP and HPFP are required when the RCM is unplugged. If you choose to unplug your RCM, do so at your own risk. I still do not know if the LPFP and HPFP will shutoff in an actual crash with the RCM unplugged. If anyone knows PLEASE comment.
So cool to imagine your build flying out there. Was covering some of the bike events happening there last year (and will be again sometime this year!) and they could really make that track seem small once they were moving. Would be incredibly cool seeing something I actually have a feeling for the dynamics of. That outer ring was a trek in the heat with a heavy as hell camera package, hoping you have some nice pit transportation. :LOL:

Good stuff. I have had the RCM unplugged most of the track season because of false crash detection.

But, since the fuel pump will not be cut in a real accident, I put an inertia switch on the fuel pump. It’s worth noting, when you cut the fuel pump (by smacking the inertia switch), the car will still idle for about 45 seconds on the gas still in the lines. I assume this would also be the case had the RCM/crash detection cut the pump.

And the RCM definitely does NOT affect ABS or torque vectoring. The only way I found to completely eliminate TV was to pull the ABS fuse. Doing so makes threshold braking more of a challenge, but overall I was faster because of the speed through the center and exit of the corners without TV.

And yea, I have a Wavetrac LSD. But, the TV was still engaging on me.

Fusion Works

In a wreck if the engine shuts off, the HPFP will shut off. The low pressure pump in the tank should shut off as soon as no tach signal is seen. Inertia switch or not.

What does the RCM do exactly? (according to Ford?)

Fusion Works

Front Impact Severity Sensor
The front impact severity sensors measure acceleration (g-rate) and are hardwired to the RCM . Mounting orientation is critical for correct operation of the front impact severity sensors.
How are your front impact sensors mounted?

In a wreck if the engine shuts off, the HPFP will shut off. The low pressure pump in the tank should shut off as soon as no tach signal is seen. Inertia switch or not.

“If the engine shuts off.” We have to assume it MIGHT be the RCM that shuts the pumps off; if so, unplugging the RCM would eliminate this safety feature …. do you know for sure?

Fuether, if the engine is still running, it is assumed the RCM will cut the fuel pump in an accident and kill the engine, which could be critical if fuel is leaking and/or there is a fire.

If the RCM is unplugged, an inertia switch, in theory, does the same and has been used by Ford in other cars for years.

Fusion Works

The SOS Post-Crash Alert System™ is controlled by the BCM , but initiated by the RCM .

When a deployment or fuel cutoff event occurs, the RCM sends a message on the HS-CAN to the IPC , which acts as a gateway and relays the message via the MS-CAN to the BCM . The BCM flashes the turn signal lamps and sounds the horn (except when 911 Assist™ is active) until it is turned off. The system can be turned off 10 seconds after a crash event by pressing the hazard switch. The BCM also unlocks the doors after a crash event.
Fuel Pump Shut-off Feature

NOTE: Refer to the Description and Operation, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start in Section 419-01A to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition OFF, ignition in ACCESSORY, ignition ON and ignition START) on vehicles with this feature.

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump and Sender Shut-off Feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.
The event notification signal is a signal provided by the RCM to the FPDM . Signal communication between the RCM and the FPDM allows the PCM to shut-off the Fuel Pump.
Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.
Welp, that would be our answer. The RCM sends a message to the FPDM , then the PCM shuts off the low pressure pump and probably the injector signal.

The HPFP is run from the camshaft, if the engine stops turning, the HPFP stops pumping rail pressure. It will not stop instantaneously though.

The inertia switch may cause other issues unless wired directly to the main power feed for the pump. The RCM, FPDM, and PCM, all communicate over CAN networks.

The manual did note the orientation of the front impact sensors is critical. This could be part of the issue with Wood's car. I am speculating though. I haven't had the issues he is seeing, but I have only done Nashville with the revised mounting orientation of my sensors.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,293
How are your front impact sensors mounted?
They’re on a Deadhook intercooler and have been for many years. Others in the UK experience this with stock crashbars with impact sensors in the stock location. I’ve never compared the location of my crash sensors to the stock location, however. And I unplugged a C-pillar crash sensor to test whereas the UK guys unplug the “sensor under the bonnet”. FWIW, I drove both of these tracks for years with the same IC without ever having an issue. It all started after I got faster as a driver.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,294

The RCM is the restraint control module. From what I understand, it manages airbag deployment, 911 assist and fuel cutoff when it detects a crash. When it’s unplugged there’s a code listed on the AP and ForScan that states an error between the RCM and fuel system. I’ll update this post when I get back to the car and pull the code.

I am concerned about getting knocked out after a side (or rear) high impact collision that ruptures the fuel tank and doesn’t necessarily damage the engine bad enough to prevent it from running until it’s out of fuel. The RCM’s job is to detect that impact and shut everything down immediately without delay (I think). I suppose I’d still be fuct in that circumstance but seconds in a fire matter so I’d like to be 100% certain both FPs shutoff automatically if I wreck while the RCM is unplugged.

I’ve thought a lot about this and even studied both tracks for scenarios where rear impacts are possible. I notify the safety lead of what I’m “testing” too. I’m also installing a fire suppression system to buy a little more time but ultimately I need to find an answer from Ford about how the FPs shut off in a crash. I’m pretty sure that’s the RCM’s job but you’d think the car wouldn’t run without it, if that proves to be true.

Fusion Works

How do the Bspec Fiestas deal with this situation? I don't think I have heard of issues with this on those cars. Perhaps it has to do with the Ford Performance ABS module?
It would be worth having a conversation with some of the Ford Bspec engineers or at least the prep shops for those cars. Let me contact friend about the issue.

Welp, that would be our answer. The RCM sends a message to the FPDM , then the PCM shuts off the low pressure pump and probably the injector signal.

The HPFP is run from the camshaft, if the engine stops turning, the HPFP stops pumping rail pressure. It will not stop instantaneously though.

The inertia switch may cause other issues unless wired directly to the main power feed for the pump. The RCM, FPDM, and PCM, all communicate over CAN networks.

The manual did note the orientation of the front impact sensors is critical. This could be part of the issue with Wood's car. I am speculating though. I haven't had the issues he is seeing, but I have only done Nashville with the revised mounting orientation of my sensors.
No other issues …. I’ve had the RCM disconnected for nearly the whole track season.

They’re on a Deadhook intercooler and have been for many years. Others in the UK experience this with stock crashbars with impact sensors in the stock location. I’ve never compared the location of my crash sensors to the stock location, however. And I unplugged a C-pillar crash sensor to test whereas the UK guys unplug the “sensor under the bonnet”. FWIW, I drove both of these tracks for years with the same IC without ever having an issue. It all started after I got faster as a driver.
Same here; happened when I got fast. Almost got me run over.

Im confident the inertia switch provides similar protections…. my 08 Mustang has it stock.

But, I’ll be caged in a couple months and will be doing auto fire suppression later, so that also eases my worry.

Fusion Works

No other issues …. I’ve had the RCM disconnected for nearly the whole track season.
According to the manual, the RCM triggers the fuel pump shut off in the event of a "notifiable" accident.
This is kinda the head ache of modern cars. With my older Hondurs the main relay shuts the fuel pump off as soon as RPM signal is lost.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,299
According to the manual, the RCM triggers the fuel pump shut off in the event of a "notifiable" accident.
This is kinda the head ache of modern cars. With my older Hondurs the main relay shuts the fuel pump off as soon as RPM signal is lost.
Looks like an inertia switch like @cidsamuth uses is what I need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5