Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Worth getting stage 1 from Dizzy/Stratified with plans to go E30

Brianmc27

I'll be getting an Accessport soon and I'm looking to get some opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to spend the ~75$ on a better OTS tune than the Cobb stage 1.

I plan on getting an FMIC and going E30/Stage 2 within the next 5-6 months and will try to take advantage of one of Dizzy's incredible free E30 tune with a pump gas tune deals. (I already have RMM, Mountune airbox, shifter base bushings).

Thanks for your input!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
People like both tuners. Yeah, the stage 1 is mild, just more torque. Won't hurt a thing.
Get the FMIC and whatever other stuff on, then get a custom tune. You can go as mild or wild as you want.
I'm happy with the stock turbo, but you can even go bigger if you want.
more power.jpg

Erick_V

From my experience the Cobb maps aren't the best. Plus its good to have a 93 flash tune tailored to YOUR specific mods, then when you go e30 (good luck going back) you'll have a good tune for that too. I think I've ran like 1-2 tanks of 93 this year lol, just beware it's as addicting as everyone says. But I agree with @XR650R, get a FMIC if you plan on upping the boost more than a couple PSI just to be safe. Plenty of good options out there

Spork1569

I'll be getting an Accessport soon and I'm looking to get some opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to spend the ~75$ on a better OTS tune than the Cobb stage 1.

I plan on getting an FMIC and going E30/Stage 2 within the next 5-6 months and will try to take advantage of one of Dizzy's incredible free E30 tune with a pump gas tune deals. (I already have RMM, Mountune airbox, shifter base bushings).

Thanks for your input!
I ran all 3 Cobb stages before moving up to a dizzy stage 2 91 tune and all I can say it's a pretty big difference in power and feel from the Cobb OTS tunes.

Going from stock to stage 1 really feels like it wakes the car up and runs how you would wish it came from the factory. A little more torque and less torque limiting in the first 2 gears really helps.

Stage 1 to stage 2/3 isn't too big a difference. At this point I had my CPE intercooler so charge Temps skyrocketing weren't a worry anymore. Stage 2 and 3 seem very similar in that they both add some more power and torque, as well as up the boost limit a bit but I would say the difference wasn't as noticible as stock to stage 1.

Going from Cobb to a flash tune from Dizzy was almost on par to going from stock to stage 1 in terms of how different the car feels. The way he tunes is a lot smoother and less torquey than the Cobb tunes but the power is still there when you need it. The best way I can explain it is instead of all the torque making your wheels want to spin from launch, torque and hp more slowly ramp up until you reach the midrange where most of the power is. I like this as the car is a DD and it's nice to still putt around town normally until I really need to get on the gas.

If you prefer the tons of low end torque feel similar to Cobb, I have heard Stratified is a good option and a more aggressive mapping in that sense.

To answer the original question, if I planned on keeping my IC stock for a while I would definitely recommend a flash tune from any well known tuner until you decide to go e30. You'll definitely get more power out of it than a Cobb stage 1 tune and save some money in the meantime while you build up the mods needed for the e30 tune.

Get the AP from a tuner and bundle it with an e30/91 map or, 93 if outside Cali. You save a few dollars this way. Once you’ve run a map from Stratified (or other reputable tuners I’m sure) you’ll laugh at the power delivery from an OTS Cobb map. They’re not really in the same league.

All you need is a panel filter and an intercooler to run the e30 map. For me I went straight for the intercooler upgrade and got an e30 combo file tune from Stratified and couldn’t be happier. I’ve never owned a tune-able turbocharged car and I wanted to see the full potential of the turbo.

As others have said e30 will ruin you. You’ll be riding a wave of torque you can’t imagine would come from a 1.6L. I’m always saddened when I go out of town and have to run 91. I feel like Superman when he gets around Kryptonite; powers are depleted and the car becomes rather ordinary.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Get the AP from a tuner and bundle it with an e30/91 map or, 93 if outside Cali. You save a few dollars this way. Once you’ve run a map from Stratified (or other reputable tuners I’m sure) you’ll laugh at the power delivery from an OTS Cobb map. They’re not really in the same league.

All you need is a panel filter and an intercooler to run the e30 map. For me I went straight for the intercooler upgrade and got an e30 combo file tune from Stratified and couldn’t be happier. I’ve never owned a tune-able turbocharged car and I wanted to see the full potential of the turbo.

As others have said e30 will ruin you. You’ll be riding a wave of torque you can’t imagine would come from a 1.6L. I’m always saddened when I go out of town and have to run 91. I feel like Superman when he gets around Kryptonite; powers are depleted and the car becomes rather ordinary.
I go back and forth between stratified and dizzy. The dizzy is more comfortable for daily driving, the stratified makes the car feel more like a rabid animal. Tire life is much shorter with the stratified tune.

SrsBsns

I ran all 3 Cobb stages before moving up to a dizzy stage 2 91 tune and all I can say it's a pretty big difference in power and feel from the Cobb OTS tunes.

Going from stock to stage 1 really feels like it wakes the car up and runs how you would wish it came from the factory. A little more torque and less torque limiting in the first 2 gears really helps.

Stage 1 to stage 2/3 isn't too big a difference. At this point I had my CPE intercooler so charge Temps skyrocketing weren't a worry anymore. Stage 2 and 3 seem very similar in that they both add some more power and torque, as well as up the boost limit a bit but I would say the difference wasn't as noticible as stock to stage 1.

Going from Cobb to a flash tune from Dizzy was almost on par to going from stock to stage 1 in terms of how different the car feels. The way he tunes is a lot smoother and less torquey than the Cobb tunes but the power is still there when you need it. The best way I can explain it is instead of all the torque making your wheels want to spin from launch, torque and hp more slowly ramp up until you reach the midrange where most of the power is. I like this as the car is a DD and it's nice to still putt around town normally until I really need to get on the gas.

If you prefer the tons of low end torque feel similar to Cobb, I have heard Stratified is a good option and a more aggressive mapping in that sense.

To answer the original question, if I planned on keeping my IC stock for a while I would definitely recommend a flash tune from any well known tuner until you decide to go e30. You'll definitely get more power out of it than a Cobb stage 1 tune and save some money in the meantime while you build up the mods needed for the e30 tune.
This describes it perfectly. I ran the Cobb OTS tunes, up to stage 3 for a while and switching to my Stratified tune was a BIG difference.

You can buy multiple tunes from Dizzy or Stratified. I bought the 91 tune and an E30 tune, although I haven't even used it yet. I would recommend going that route, especially with Dizzy since he throws in the E30 tune with the purchase of a regular tune.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
This describes it perfectly. I ran the Cobb OTS tunes, up to stage 3 for a while and switching to my Stratified tune was a BIG difference.

You can buy multiple tunes from Dizzy or Stratified. I bought the 91 tune and an E30 tune, although I haven't even used it yet. I would recommend going that route, especially with Dizzy since he throws in the E30 tune with the purchase of a regular tune.
I'd have been thrilled with a tune at stock power levels but linear throttle response, tbh. The car with a stock turbo is never going to be very "fast" but the throttle remap really helps the "feel".

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #9
Ok, I’m sold. Stage 1 it is.

Anyone have an FMIC they want to donate?.. ya know... for science.

Spork1569

Ok, I’m sold. Stage 1 it is.

Anyone have an FMIC they want to donate?.. ya know... for science.
I'd you watch out in the for sale forums you can usually snag one pretty cheap compared to new.

Alternatively the cheapest option for stage 2 power would probably be the Whoosh IC.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #11
I'd you watch out in the for sale forums you can usually snag one pretty cheap compared to new.

Alternatively the cheapest option for stage 2 power would probably be the Whoosh IC.
I’m gonna end up buying a V1 from whoosh I’m pretty sure. Maybe a V3 if I’m feeling flush at that moment.

I was all set to buy an FMIC now until I found a deal on an AP3 that was too good to pass up.

SrsBsns

The V1 is solid. It's much bigger than stock and is easy to install. I don't think you (at least from what I understand) need the bigger version unless you're planning upgrading your turbo at some point. That's why I just went with the V1 intercooler. The extra cash can go to things like colder plugs or a drop in filter.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #13
The V1 is solid. It's much bigger than stock and is easy to install. I don't think you (at least from what I understand) need the bigger version unless you're planning upgrading your turbo at some point. That's why I just went with the V1 intercooler. The extra cash can go to things like colder plugs or a drop in filter.
Yeah, my heart says I’ll get a big turbo, but my brain (and wife) probably say no.

I’ve already got a Mountune intake with a RamAir drop in. I’ll probably just pick up the Whoosh catback and call it a day (lol ya right).

SrsBsns

Lol, yeah, tell me about it. I keep telling myself that I'm done. Annnnd then one more thing. Annnnnnd one more. And then if I get x, I need to get y... it's an expensive cycle.

I'm currently eyeing a BOV, catch can, and induction hose/crossover pipe. And I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to talk me into a downpipe sooner or later. It's only money...

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #15
Lol, yeah, tell me about it. I keep telling myself that I'm done. Annnnd then one more thing. Annnnnnd one more. And then if I get x, I need to get y... it's an expensive cycle.

I'm currently eyeing a BOV, catch can, and induction hose/crossover pipe. And I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to talk me into a downpipe sooner or later. It's only money...
I guess I’m lucky to be in California. Saves me from buying some dumb things every now and then.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Not entirely lol here I am in California still a couple grand into mods for the car lol.
yeah its just annoying that at the 6 year mark you have to start getting smogged. Can't upgrade the turbo because you'd have to run a tune which will fail you right away.

Spork1569

Haha, I’m getting close to that after my Dekagrams and tires
I regret not buying wheels when I got my tires. Now I'm stuck with the stock rims for a few since I dropped $500 on my rubber not too long ago. Them sparco terras looking sexy recently.