Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would you buy a Fiesta ST with a DSG gearbox?

Would you buy a Fiesta ST with a DSG gearbox?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 82.1%

• Total voters

Sekred

1000 Post Club
lets also say that fiesta/focus use dryclutch DCTs
i believe that vw/audi mitsu/bmw(i know for sure) use wet clutch and that should play a big role on how they handle performance
Ford engineers or probably more accurate, the Bean counters, need bending over a barrel if they have used dry clutches.

Do you know if the Fiesta and Focus share the same DCT tranny?
Different P/N for the transmissions and names (DPS6 in the Focus vs GFT DPS6 in the Fiesta), but I'm not worried about the trans (which I hope holds up well, since it seems to be the transmission in our cars except ours have a traditional clutch. The bigger concern is the clutches themselves, and both the Fiesta and Focus use the same clutches P/N BV6Z-7B546-D, is the current version, there have been 3 before it. We install about 4 sets of clutches a week when they are not on backorder, though due to the current situation we are only installing them in vehicles that cannot drive, until more are available.

Not a fan of automatic unless it's a family vehicle. For me, always three pedals.

Perry

A DSG option might be nice, in some ways, esp. if one is seeking to maximize performance characteristics, but it seems to take some of the fun out of it all. Driving a traditional manual transmission and doing it well with a good car is like dancing well with a beautiful woman. The FiST should have a MT, baseball bats should always be wooden, and Christmas presents should be opened Christmas morning, not on Christmas eve.

The reason I bought the ST was that it had a manual. If it had a DSG my wife and 2 boys could drive it.
This is MY car![like]

My girlfriend has a VW GTI with a DSG and that transmission is fantastic... Every car I've ever owned were manuals but I wouldn't knock anyone who would chose an auto

My girlfriend has a VW GTI with a DSG and that transmission is fantastic... Every car I've ever owned were manuals but I wouldn't knock anyone who would chose an auto
Yea supposedly VW makes arguably one of the best DSG's out there right now. I just recently test drove one on a brand new '13 "drivers edition" GTI and even though it was smooth and super quick I just prefer a manual no matter how much faster or whatever the reasons are a DSG can be better is. I also heard DSG's can be horrible/laggy in not knowing the right gearing to choose at slow speeds. I didn't get a chance to try and notice this in my test drive bc I was with my mother and between her,me and the salesman all [sing]ing made it kinda hard to see if it's true. They also are proven to hold more horsepower/torque than manuals to,which is good to Know if the buyer plans on going +stage 1. Might just be a VW thing though bc I'm a vwvortex.com member for a long time now and the latest mk6 model GTI manual clutches tend to be POS,and many are replacing them just after 20-30k. Miles. [facepalm].

-ry

Yea supposedly VW makes arguably one of the best DSG's out there right now.-ry
No, VW makes the ONLY DSG out there (they were originally designed by BorgWarner). There seems to be some misunderstanding that DSG is another name for a dual clutch transmission, and it isnt. The DSG transmission in exclusively on VW vehicles.

No, VW makes the ONLY DSG out there (they were originally designed by BorgWarner). There seems to be some misunderstanding that DSG is another name for a dual clutch transmission, and it isnt. The DSG transmission in exclusively on VW vehicles.

If you really wanted to get technical, DSG is available across the entire VWAG Portfolio, including:
- Audi
- Volkswagen
- Seat
- Skoda

But in practice, DSG is just the trademarked name for a VW/BorgWarner dual-clutch transmission.

Yes, I was including the other brands because they are owned by VW. You could also include Porsche because the PDK is VEEEERY similar. Methinks they just didnt want to say its the same tranny you can buy in a $23k VW.