Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would you install "new old stock" tires at MAJOR discount?

Would you install "new old stock" tires at a MAJOR discount?

• Heck yeah, as long as age is known and know I will get good use out of them before they get too old

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Nope, just don't trust tires that have been sitting 4 years, regardless of what everyone says.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Before voting, keep in mind the tires I'm looking at were made 4 years ago and all the research indicates tires are good for at LEAST 6 years and are commonly sold up to 3 years old normally at full price. In my case, I'm looking at a set of 4 that aren't made in more in the 215/40/17 size I want, will likely be worn out in 2 years anyway (pretty sticky 300tw) and are only $175 for a set of 4 (plus installation). They were considered very good budget tires and were double that price "fresh" (Riken Raptor ZR).

I'm already 99% sure I'm going to go through with this but just interested in opinions and stories out there.

Edit: Dang it, they updated the post to say that they are made by Michelin but also now are charging $20 more, crap... still likely the best deal out there compared to ultra off brands that are in the same price range.

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
There are a lot of variables - were they stored in bags? In the open? Were they exposed to UV non-stop for the last few years?
You can try scratching the sidewall with your finger, see if it leaves a cracked looking scratch mark. If so, bad.
Rub the sidewall with your fingertips, then rub your fingertips together. It should feel kinda greasy.
This is tough to advise - I wouldn't do it, but I am a snob so take that as you will. 175 bucks is super cheap for a set of 4 tires, even if you get 1 year out of them it's a decent deal.

Se7eN

^^ what he said, also I've had Riken Raptor tires on my other car before they are a very good economic tire and grips pretty decent. If they look good and not dry or craked as stated above I'd say go for it.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
There are a lot of variables - were they stored in bags? In the open? Were they exposed to UV non-stop for the last few years?
You can try scratching the sidewall with your finger, see if it leaves a cracked looking scratch mark. If so, bad.
Rub the sidewall with your fingertips, then rub your fingertips together. It should feel kinda greasy.
This is tough to advise - I wouldn't do it, but I am a snob so take that as you will. 175 bucks is super cheap for a set of 4 tires, even if you get 1 year out of them it's a decent deal.
Yeah, since I'm going to have them sent to a Firestone for install that has been honest with me in the past I'll just communicate my concerns with them and see what they have to say. Honestly, For $275 installed, if I get one year of good use out of them I'll be happy and since my car is garaged, it should be better climate controlled than if I had to park outside and it's fairly mild where I live anyway.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yep you took the words out of my mouth.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Ooh - wherever you are getting them, might want to get the optional tire warranty coverage ;)
We'll have to see if the shop even offers them if they check the date code, but it's not like they are illegal to sell anyway, but yeah, at that price it will probably be worth it if they offer it on tires they don't sell, which most places do because more money, but you never know...

HBEcoBeaST

What tires? If they were stored properly and had a warranty I'd say go for it but no tire shop will warranty unless you buy through them.

I've had pretty old unused drag radials that sat for almost 10 years still be good but it's all about how you store them. All new modern tires have a grease like layer that keeps them fresh in a warehouse setting.

Now if they were in the sun, an extremely hot/cold/dry environment or had weight sitting on them I'd pass.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Get em! $175 is an amazing deal. I'm sure they are fine

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
What tires? If they were stored properly and had a warranty I'd say go for it but no tire shop will warranty unless you buy through them.

I've had pretty old unused drag radials that sat for almost 10 years still be good but it's all about how you store them. All new modern tires have a grease like layer that keeps them fresh in a warehouse setting.

Now if they were in the sun, an extremely hot/cold/dry environment or had weight sitting on them I'd pass.
Actually Discount Tire was happy to sell me at least a road hazard on a tire I didn't even buy there when I was in a bind once and had to buy from one place and have installed there... but road hazard doesn't equal warranty either.. but I mentioned that they are Riken Raptor ZR's at the end of my post. They are being sold by a very reputable tire company with over 99% satisfaction rating in over 200k transactions, Priority Tire.

Yeah Discount wanted to sell me a Road Hazard warranty recently on some new tires I brought them to install on my old 4runner. I didn't want to pay it, due to them having very high install costs if you bring in your own tires... I just like the work they do, always balanced well and they are careful with my wheels so I'll pay the premium.

As far as the tires, I'd say go for it depending on how they were stored. If behind someones shed for 4 years, no thank you! But kept in a store/shop, yeah why not

Last edited:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Yeah Discount wanted to sell me a Road Hazard warranty recently on some new tires I brought them to install on my old 4runner. I didn't want to pay it just do to them having very high install costs if you bring in your own tires... I just like the work they do, always balanced well and they are careful with my wheels so I'll pay the premium.

As far as the tires, I'd say go for it depending on how they were stored. If behind someones shed for 4 years, no thank you! But kept in a store/shop, yeah why not
That's the thing, it's from a super reputable company... As you can see, it's a near split on if people would do it regardless, so maybe as long as I feel comfortable by my research that says it's fine for at least 2 years, including some knowledgeable tire employees who have every opportunity to warn people otherwise online, then I can take advantage of the cheaper market price and enjoy 'em for up to 2 years... but now since the price did go up $20, I'm half tempted to get some carefully researched fresh off brand tires for not much more.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Honestly if i could find some new kdw2's i would in a heartbeat. Theyd just be show tires bit the tread pattern was friggen awesome!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I ran a set for 4 summers on my old car. Yes they were loud. Think mud tire loud. Amazing in the rain though. I loved them.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't worry about 4 year old tires, specially if they were stored inside in a warehouse.

I'm sure there are 14/15 FiSTs still on their OEM tires... A/S at least.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I wouldn't worry about 4 year old tires, specially if they were stored inside in a warehouse.

I'm sure there are 14/15 FiSTs still on their OEM tires... A/S at least.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
I'll probably take some shit for admitting this, but it is indeed the A/S version of the Riken Raptor ZR I'm looking at. But where I live it's mild year round and I just don't need all-out 100% grip and these are fairly sticky 300tw UHP so good enough for me... I know that the Potenza's most people get stock only last 15-25k at the most, but mine came with the Pilot A/S 3's and after beating on them including drag racing they are lasting me about 28k. With these Riken's I'll be happy to get 20k, even less, if they perform well and I use them up within a couple of years anyway... Since it's a major tire seller with great reviews selling them, I bet these have been stored well, they are just now on clearance because they hit the 4 year old mark... Well, we will see if they are still available in a few weeks, I just finally ordered my intercooler this pay day and I can hold out for a 15% off eBay day too for now...