Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

WRX to FiST? (for autocross and daily)

AriaFury

Hey all!

I currently drive a 2020 Subaru WRX. I autocross it and it's also my daily. I'm considering swapping to a FiST instead. I'm supposed to be test driving a 2016 this week. My anxiety is through the roof with this decision and I haven't even driven the FiST yet!! lol

Is there anyone here who has driven and/or autocrossed both and can give me your thoughts on the swap?

It's a hard decision for me! I love my WRX, but for both financial and fun reasons I'm considering moving to the FiST instead. I'm also a Miata enthusiast. I've owned like 5? Currently though, I'm Miataless... Last season I autocrossed a 2001 Miata and loved that, too, but it lacked the power I wanted and I found I had more fun in the WRX.

I appreciate any thoughts you can share!

I feel like you'll enjoy it! It communicates a lot back to the driver and is just simple to get dialed in if you already like the stock characteristics. I can't believe how fun it is to get this car to rotate. I'm just now gearing up to get involved with local autocross this month so I'm excited to answer those questions for myself hahaa!

Looking forward to someone else chiming in. Lots of car history and autocross experience here it seems.

Last edited:
Resume': I have a similar background as far as the Miatas go. I'd owned two for a combined 10-12 years until recently. I've never owned a WRX, but have driven a few over the years. I've also autocrossed for about 10 years.

I drove a WRX before I ended up with my FiST. I wasn't crazy about it to be honest. It just felt big, heavy and like I was really fighting it to make it change direction. The Fiesta handles a lot more like a Miata. It's light, nimble and gives a much better sensation of speed (although I don't doubt a WRX is faster in a lot of scenarios). Watching both types run at autocross, a "Miata friendly" course is going to be more fun in a Fiesta than a WRX. A big, wide open course might go to the WRX. Price also weighed into the decision as well. A comparable WRX was going to run me another 8-10K over what I paid for the Fiesta. Fit and finish probably goes to the WRX. I haven't driven in the snow yet, but I have to assume that would likely go to the WRX. On the other hand, a light front-driver with snow tires can be a hoot in the winter. Each make has it's own "mechanical eccentricities". Look the Fiesta over REALLY well for any signs of rust, especially near the door jambs, hood edge, hatch and antenna mount. I have nothing scientific to support this, but it seems like the metallic paint colors are more of an issue.

Last edited:

the duke

This car has been described as a FWD Miata. It’s also got quite a bit or torque. Most importantly you can’t beat physics. Sun 3000lbs is a gem with todays car design. Really good chassis, good motor, get the RECARO seats.

SPhilli911

I went from a 2004 Subaru STI to my Fiesta and I will always stand by that decision as the Fiesta has been far more fun to drive. I have not autocrossed either of them, but spirited backroad runs is enough for me to make that call. The Fiesta is just so light and nimble making it a load of fun to rip around so I can imagine it's a blast in autox with their tighter corners and short straights.

The STI was my dream car, loved the car, but it was more about the power over the handling and the AWD would probably bog it down in a small autox course. Though, it sounds like you still want the power and the Miata wasn't enough, so maybe a stock Fiesa ST will not be up to par? So I suppose it depends what you want in the car, but a test drive might give you a better idea that, good luck!

@AriaFury my first purchase was a new rx8-r3 so it's kiiinda close to a miata in that the emphasis was on driver input and momentum and in a low weight low torque mazda. i auto-crossed it once and hated it for my rx8 r3 and i've never done it in my fiesta.

that said, the *really* nice thing about the fiesta platform is you can take it from a quirky and fun daily driver to something that actually feels fast (i know it's not actually fast) in less than $2000 and minimal wrenching. plus parts are relatively cheap to come by and i've never had a FWD rotate like this. it doesn't rotate like a RWD but it's hard to describe it in terms that doesn't make it sound like it's RWD...if that makes sense.