Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

X57rs vs X47r turbo upgrade

I've been thinking about upgrading the turbo on a '14 ST to either an X47r or x57rs. The x57rs would be about $300 more. What are your thoughts in terms of performance, cost, reliability and daily driving between the two of them

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just go Balls Deep and get a Gen2 GTX2860 or G25-550. I can feel the Eye rolling on me now! Haha....Then buy Aux fuel or the HPFP and injector upgrade. But hey thats just me.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

slopoke

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my choices are limited to pumaspeeds offerings at the moment.

If that's the case, save til you have enough. I haven't heard anything negative regarding the Whoosh hybrids and the maker of the S280, is the same that designed and built it's little brother, the S242. I've not heard any failures of the S242 and would tend to think that the S280 reliability is the same. I have heard of negative issues with the Pumaspeed offerings.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
@jeff Has a X47 and as far as I know he has been happy with it.
Nothing against the whoosh turbo but I have seen several posts of people complaining about the car smoking.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Just go Balls Deep and....k
Disregard this man and all his opinions...

:)

But seriously, all the hate against the Pumas is unwarranted. There were only a few out of hundreds that went bad. They're like 96.2% success rate folks, considering all the ones that were sold. Nothing wrong with Puma turbos. Sheesh. A few reddit posts can do a lot of damage.

I've had my X47 for over 3 years and about 20,000 miles now and it's been flawless.

If I were buying again I'd do a massive amount of research on the S280, Whoosh and other Puma offerings and make up my mind.

I don't know much about the X57 but my best nugget of advice is that 300whp is the perfect spot for this car. Anything above that and the car gets unbalanced. Traction is already an issue at 300 but with good tires and bracing and a good tune my car puts most of the power down. I've ridden in Fiestas with 330whp and 375whp and 400+whp and they can't even get traction in 3rd gear. So my advice for you is get whatever will get you around 300whp and be happy. Sure on YouTube a Fiesta with whatever horsepower can take a Corvette...but that's on a track, with slicks, with the full moon out and on your birthday. Most of us are just trying to enjoy our car on the street. 300hp is where that will happen best on a Fiesta ST.

If you want more get a different car with AWD.

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
Disregard this man and all his opinions...

:)

But seriously, all the hate against the Pumas is unwarranted. There were only a few out of hundreds that went bad. They're like 96.2% success rate folks, considering all the ones that were sold. Nothing wrong with Puma turbos. Sheesh. A few reddit posts can do a lot of damage.

I've had my X47 for over 3 years and about 20,000 miles now and it's been flawless.

If I were buying again I'd do a massive amount of research on the S280, Whoosh and other Puma offerings and make up my mind.

I don't know much about the X57 but my best nugget of advice is that 300whp is the perfect spot for this car. Anything above that and the car gets unbalanced. Traction is already an issue at 300 but with good tires and bracing and a good tune my car puts most of the power down. I've ridden in Fiestas with 330whp and 375whp and 400+whp and they can't even get traction in 3rd gear. So my advice for you is get whatever will get you around 300whp and be happy. Sure on YouTube a Fiesta with whatever horsepower can take a Corvette...but that's on a track, with slicks, with the full moon out and on your birthday. Most of us are just trying to enjoy our car on the street. 300hp is where that will happen best on a Fiesta ST.

If you want more get a different car with AWD.
Thanks a lot for insight, it's very helpful. Good to have first hand accounts of long term use. Yeah I've been aiming at that 300-320hp region as the maximum. Just wanted to do it in the most reliable and usable way.

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks a lot for insight, it's very helpful. Good to have first hand accounts of good long term use. Yeah I've been aiming at that 300-320hp region as the maximum. Just wanted to do it in the most reliable and usable way.
Sure thing. If you want some helpful info check out these 2 videos:

Thoughts on 300hp power level:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZy5E77Pg0&t=2s

General helpful 411 for a turbo upgrade:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NtaeQZBRo&t=441s

Second revision of 93 octane has been running great boosting to about 23-24 lbs estimated HP is about 235 and TQ is about 230. I know that the Cobb AP estimate is trash but my area doesn't have the luxury of a Dyno. When I'm on final 93 tune we'll see what it estimates the HP and TQ.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are you doing E fuels also? This is where you get the real Bump in Hp.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk