Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You're using an inferior fuel, let me tell you exactly what you should use.

rexdriver85

Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the AP3, flashing the stage 0 map first-still at -1 OAR.

Simply to satisfy my curiosity and test something, I'm going to put 2 gallons of 87 in. This will tell me if OAR changes adversely after hitting -1, when given the proper conditions.

On the drive back to the house there was no change, but there's a possibility that my temps weren't fully up to snuff so I'm not going to assume anything just yet.
Cool test, interested in the results. I remember reading here that once the OAR moves to -1 it seems to be stuck there no matter what until you reflash. This should tell I suppose.

Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the AP3, flashing the stage 0 map first-still at -1 OAR.

Simply to satisfy my curiosity and test something, I'm going to put 2 gallons of 87 in. This will tell me if OAR changes adversely after hitting -1, when given the proper conditions.

On the drive back to the house there was no change, but there's a possibility that my temps weren't fully up to snuff so I'm not going to assume anything just yet. If nothing happens after I put some more miles on then I'll swap AP3's and try some more.

P.S.-I hate 87.
That is strange . Everytime I uninstall my AP it reads 0 OAR and moves accordingly from there. It has never remained -1 after an uninstall.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
That is strange . Everytime I uninstall my AP it reads 0 OAR and moves accordingly from there. It has never remained -1 after an uninstall.
I'm not ruling out the possibility of an AP3 issue or something that I'm unaware of, just relaying my info. It surprised me as well.

My temps are definitely up now, and I was able to achieve a knock but my timing is still advancing-just not as far as before even on any 93 OTS map. I guess my next option is to run a map more aggressive than the fuel, because I suppose it's reasonable to think that the stock map isn't aggressive in terms of fuel-that's just a guess though. I'll load up the stage 3 93 OTS and, carefully, try to see if it moves.

After that, I suppose I'll swap AP3's.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of an AP3 issue or something that I'm unaware of, just relaying my info. It surprised me as well.

My temps are definitely up now, and I was able to achieve a knock but my timing is still advancing-just not as far as before even on any 93 OTS map. I guess my next option is to run a map more aggressive than the fuel, because I suppose it's reasonable to think that the stock map isn't aggressive in terms of fuel-that's just a guess though. I'll load up the stage 3 93 OTS and, carefully, try to see if it moves.

After that, I suppose I'll swap AP3's.
I am beginning to wonder if it is my AP3 that is the problem. Something I never took into consideration was all my problems seem to happen after the ATP DP install, but I had also updated the AP at the same time for the auto off feature. I am not sure that it could be the problem or even where to start if it was since I don't have two to swap out.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I am beginning to wonder if it is my AP3 that is the problem. Something I never took into consideration was all my problems seem to happen after the ATP DP install, but I had also updated the AP at the same time for the auto off feature. I am not sure that it could be the problem or even where to start if it was since I don't have two to swap out.
I think you should be able to revert back to a previous version, but I'm not fully sure. I seem to remember people doing that, but I've never looked into it myself.

I'm beginning to think I still have too much octane in my tank, so I'm going to load up the kids and try and road-trip the rest of the fuel out. There's a crappy fuel station up the road, and maybe I should have gotten my 87 there instead of the station that I always get my 93 from because I go to that station for the exact opposite reason of what I'm currently testing. I'm still seeing plenty of timing advance on the 93 OTS tune, and I think the previous tank was a run of E30.

I don't think I've ever intentionally hunted down poor fuel, and unfortunately it's significantly harder to run out even two gallons in the FiST compared to the FoST.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Well, it will indeed go down with poor fuel. I found the sketchiest fuel station I could find with the tank on fumes and put two more gallons of 87 octane in, but it was E10 this time. The first semi-hard pull that I did I got some of the only negative corrections that I've ever gotten in the FiST and then my OAR dropped to 0.97. It went back up after I drove easily on it, but you can see it in the min/max-

And current mileage-

The car feels really sluggish, not that I didn't expect that. I'm not going to try and force the OAR down any more, but it will indeed do it if necessary. Fwiw, I never got to the point of changing AP3's or trying to revert to a previous version.

Well, it will indeed go down with poor fuel. I found the sketchiest fuel station I could find with the tank on fumes and put two more gallons of 87 octane in, but it was E10 this time. The first semi-hard pull that I did I got some of the only negative corrections that I've ever gotten in the FiST and then my OAR dropped to 0.97. It went back up after I drove easily on it, but you can see it in the min/max-

And current mileage-

The car feels really sluggish, not that I didn't expect that. I'm not going to try and force the OAR down any more, but it will indeed do it if necessary. Fwiw, I never got to the point of changing AP3's or trying to revert to a previous version.
Very good info thanks for this. It demonstrates that it is real time data that would seem fairly accurate as per what the car is demanding.

I have to find some torco to see what happens here in Canada. On the GTR forum here in Canada ppl have been successfully adding a product call bioflame sold at crappy tire which is as close to ethanol as we can get without driving to west vancouver. It is 95% ethanol meant for your fireplace. i think the other 5% is alcohol.

OP
dyn085

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Very good info thanks for this. It demonstrates that it is real time data that would seem fairly accurate as per what the car is demanding.

I have to find some torco to see what happens here in Canada. On the GTR forum here in Canada ppl have been successfully adding a product call bioflame sold at crappy tire which is as close to ethanol as we can get without driving to west vancouver. It is 95% ethanol meant for your fireplace. i think the other 5% is alcohol.
Yup, no worries. I've been really curious about it for months but never had the motivation to test it out. I have a buddy going through a similar issue as well, so I'm trying a few things on my car to see if I can get better insight to his issue. Tomorrow I'm going to pull my plugs and open them back up to 0.031" to see how it not only affects the 87 octane, but what effects it does/doesn't have on my pro-tune once I've flushed out the junk in my tank. Theoretically the hotter spark should induce the detonation sooner and reduce the OAR faster, but maybe it doesn't make enough difference to know.