Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Early X-Mas from whoosh Motorsports: zunsport US spec front upper grill kits

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
YES, mine was bought from M-Sport, which was/is ONLY concerned with the Brit/Euro/rest of world fitment, and never made any for U.S., as neither did Zunsport themselves, until Ron convinced them to do such.

The one sold by Ron@Whoosh is specifically made for our unique North American (maybe South American as well?)/USDM intercooler opening lower bumper cover cutout.

I have NO IDEA WHY Ford did it this way for the front bumper cover, since they were trying to save some coin my finally having a TRUE 'world car' with our model (and much less inventory of many different variants of the same part), and they could have come up with an identical bumper COVER, even if the crash bar underneath had to be different between the various markets.[???:)]
Isn't the crash bar and bumper itself 2 different things? I've always heard that the US requires 5mph bumpers and most of the world 2.5, so the bumper itself and not just the crash bar could also be different?

Alright, I finally got around to installing the Zunsport lower I ordered from Ron at Whoosh. As someone else mentioned somewhere, the screws that attach the Zunsport to the oem plastic insert are too long. The upper screw just touches my Whoosh V2 and the point of the bottom screw would end up 1/4" into the V2. I ended up using some strong black zip-ties to attach the Zunsport to the oem insert and snapped the assembly back in. The fit is pretty good and the zip-ties are hardly noticeable. Sorry for no pics, it's dark out, but what Ron has shown on his site is about all there is to see here. Being that it's this or a do-it-yourself fabricated set-up, I'm fine with what I've got and how EZ it was once I settled on the method. On to the next project...ensuring my Spec-D tail lights are adequately sealed from moisture(y)

Additional thoughts: With the much thinner core of an oem fmic, you might be able to use the screws sent with the Zunsport lower. Shorter screws may be an option, but the lower ones would still contact an aftermarket fmic being that the eom insert sits flush with my V2. I did look at installing the grill without the oem insert, but zip-ties were a no-go. The vertical slats are recessed too far and the grill sat about an inch off of them when it's border contacts the bumper opening.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Additional thoughts: With the much thinner core of an oem fmic, you might be able to use the screws sent with the Zunsport lower.
I too, will be installing mine...some day...and still have the oem fmic, so I will let everybody know. I've already spent too much to buy the car and the upgrades I have bought so far. I have to get back to buying and installing vinyl plank for my home music studio and lots of cables. Always something.

I too, will be installing mine...some day...and still have the oem fmic, so I will let everybody know. I've already spent too much to buy the car and the upgrades I have bought so far. I have to get back to buying and installing vinyl plank for my home music studio and lots of cables. Always something.
You need a few more things first 📞

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Unboxed, up close and personal.

Attachments

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
well, I installed mine, but have not taken pics.... evidently, there is still an issue. if I use those long two center tabs, the grill is pulled in more than at the sides. Grendlehop18, I see the zip ties. Did you not use the center tabs?

well, I installed mine, but have not taken pics.... evidently, there is still an issue. if I use those long two center tabs, the grill is pulled in more than at the sides. Grendlehop18, I see the zip ties. Did you not use the center tabs?
The 4 screws that came with the Zunsport lower are meant to attach to the oem plastic insert. Problem was that they went through and made contact with my V2 end tanks. Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps I can use the screws in alternative locations:unsure: I''ll need to look more closely at everything (instructions/hardware) later when I'm off work.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #76
@ron@whoosh When will upper be back around? I see lower kit but no upper. Definitely interested.
We have upper grills in stock
Just like the lower grill, they are designed for the Euro Fiesta ST180
The lower grills do fit very good but not perfect which has been discussed many times.
The upper grill however is way off and does not fit.
Some customers have made the upper fit and it looks pretty good
We brought the upper grills in to sell with the Delta Styling front bumpers. The Delta bumper is euro based so they fit perfectly.

Let me know if there are any other questions

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #77
The 4 screws that came with the Zunsport lower are meant to attach to the oem plastic insert. Problem was that they went through and made contact with my V2 end tanks. Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps I can use the screws in alternative locations:unsure: I''ll need to look more closely at everything (instructions/hardware) later when I'm off work.
you may be able to just shorten the screws or use a shorter self tapper
The V3 FMIC does use up all of the available space and sits much closer to the lower grill due to it's size

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
The 4 screws that came with the Zunsport lower are meant to attach to the oem plastic insert. Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps I can use the screws in alternative locations:unsure: .
I emailed them and you would swear I was talking Latin to them....they could not understand what I was asking. I was wondering if they were supposed to screw into the permanent, vertical slats since I removed the horizontal piece, but it must be one of the two....I am also wondering if they can make it to the vertical slats. If not, something like a super-small SS wire cable could go from a 10/32 machine screw to the vertical slats.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #79
I emailed them and you would swear I was talking Latin to them....they could not understand what I was asking. I was wondering if they were supposed to screw into the permanent, vertical slats since I removed the horizontal piece, but it must be one of the two....I am also wondering if they can make it to the vertical slats. If not, something like a super-small SS wire cable could go from a 10/32 machine screw to the vertical slats.
they are not
it's designed to screw into the plastic OEM snap on grill section. The screws do not need to bottom out but just hold the grill in evenly when installing.
Once you have it positioned, tighten the self tappers just until they touch the grill. Only tight enough to not allow it to move around

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
they are not
it's designed to screw into the plastic OEM snap on grill section. The screws do not need to bottom out but just hold the grill in evenly when installing.
Once you have it positioned, tighten the self tappers just until they touch the grill. Only tight enough to not allow it to move around
and I removed mine...