Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Honda Type R, Focus RS, Subie STI head-to-head

FocusMike

Fairly good read.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...eview-three-wild-compact-cars-face/104028758/

Next to these two wing nuts, the squat $39,560 Focus RS looks positively working-class. No exotic triple or quad pipes here - just twins. No wing, just a big, hatch-hitched spoiler. The face is inelegant - its bumper stuffed into its enlarged grille like Rocky Balboa's mouthpiece. But like Rocky, this thing is a champ.

Underneath its hood are 350 horses and the most sophisticated powertrain of the lot: a torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system with twin rear clutch packs that speed up the outside rear wheels for better rotation (the STI's AWD system uses inside-wheel braking). Fifty horses shy of the Focus RS, the Subaru STI still matches the Focus on zero-60 and quarter-mile times. But despite its cosmetic upgrades, the STI did not get sister Impreza's all-new architecture - an oversight that also puts it a generation behind the Honda. The old bones of the Focus are no match for Honda, either - but its powertrain compensates.

On track at Waterford Raceway, the Ford rotated nimbly through the long, challenging Carousel - then put down the AWD power on exit.

The hard-backed seats and stiff suspension of the RS will beat you up around town, though, the nose porpoise-ing along Detroit's choppy roads. Type R's comfortable thrones are better daily wear. The Subaru's Recaros? Somewhere between the two.

On the road, the Type R may be a Rottweiler off its chain - bounding around country roads looking for something to chew on - but its Comfort setting is the most livable, dialing back the ride from rock hard to merely stiff.

The four-banger of the RS brings welcome character. It roars furiously with the pedal down, then farts and pops when you let off. It's wonderfully obnoxious compared to the STI's flat-4 VW Beetle-like putter, and the Type R's generic bark.

If you don't know how to drive a stick, you're in the wrong aisle. These bad boys come manual only.

The Honda's silver ball-topped shifter is the standout here, its short throws making for easy box navigation. It's an entree to the car's well-thought out ergonomics from seats to center console to easy-pull rear shade. Even with the third pipe exhaust resonator the car is quiet inside.

Infotainment systems? Huh? Are the cars not entertainment enough? Suffice to say all offer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto apps to get you to the local track.

I am also biased to the hot hatches - the RS and Type R's five-door utility matching their performance. Load 'em with luggage for South Haven, blitz Gingerman Raceway for track day, then hang at the beach afterward. The STI sedan is less space efficient - but at least you can dry your wet towel over the rear wing.

The verdict? Focus RS is the performance champ, but the content-rich Type R lays down a new marker of wing-bling affordability for a cool $5K less than its rivals. The STI, meanwhile, plots in the shadows. When it gets the Impreza's new chassis, watch out.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm sticking to my original opinion:

STI is now a bland shape, while the Type R is this giant piece of over-thought plastic rolling down the street.
RS for the win in my book [thumb]

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I'm sticking to my original opinion:

STI is now a bland shape, while the Type R is this giant piece of over-thought plastic rolling down the street.
RS for the win in my book [thumb]
Lol completely agree. I bet in 10 years our RS will still look good. Not to mention it’ll hold its value fairly well.

LonestarRS

I recently refinanced my RS at a local credit union and they appraised the RS at $38,600. Keep in mind this is a year old car with nearly 8k miles on it.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
I also don’t know what the differences are from a Civic to the Civic Type-R, but I was in a new Civic and the dash reminded me of 1990. VERY dated in my opinion.

Side note: had a friend wh0 hadn’t seen the car yet look at it today and got in it to touch and feel everything. He was blown away with how nice it was [thumb]

OP
FocusMike

FocusMike

Thread Starter #6
The new Civic Type R is a nice and will holds its value well as it's a limited production car.

I also don’t know what the differences are from a Civic to the Civic Type-R, but I was in a new Civic and the dash reminded me of 1990. VERY dated in my opinion.

Side note: had a friend wh0 hadn’t seen the car yet look at it today and got in it to touch and feel everything. He was blown away with how nice it was [thumb]
Big difference between the regular Civic and the Type R. Its like going from the regular Focus to the RS.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Big difference between the regular Civic and the Type R. Its like going from the regular Focus to the RS.
I meant differences in their interiors... but your answer may be the same :) I don't know what a current base Focus interior looks like. I'm sure the there are some differences. I was thinking mainly of the dash layout.

Interesting to read the good, the bad and the ugly opinions about the current crop of hot hatches/compacts out there. But I've always liked the Focus. I rented a 6sp. diesel wagon Germany a few years ago and loved it. It would run 125+ on the autobahn and most of the switch gear and electronics were the same as the RS although the seats are quite a bit different. I've had a couple of Honda's, both cars and motorcycles. They hold their value, have great engines, transmissions, and usually have good service. I hear dealers are trying to get $10,000 over msrp which won't last. When they came out with the CRX years ago, the waiting list, like the RS, was 6-8 months long. Scarcity always creates demand? Saw a 17 SG in Lewes this weekend sitting on the lot complete with rusty rotors.
Had the RS into the dealer today for some updates and had a chance to look around. Saw a really nice Mustang GT, IRS, stick, great dark metallic grey with black wheels- less then the RS! Always fun to dream.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I meant differences in their interiors... but your answer may be the same :) I don't know what a current base Focus interior looks like. I'm sure the there are some differences. I was thinking mainly of the dash layout.
The Civic Type R's interior looks like a top of the line "regular" Civic with race seats. Like the Golf R there's no moon-roof option.

One cool thing is that they include a build number next to the shift knob. Wish ford had done this.

Here are some pictures.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah, a definite difference in interior than the Civic I was in. That’s good.

I agree about the build number... would have been nice rather than us having to find a “back alley” approach to getting them.

The Civic Type R's interior looks like a top of the line "regular" Civic with race seats. Like the Golf R there's no moon-roof option.

One cool thing is that they include a build number next to the shift knob. Wish ford had done this.

Here are some pictures.
A lot of the new cars coming out have similar looks- multiple exhaust pipes (either real or imagined), splitters, wings, spoilers, etc. they're all interesting. Even the new Camry has an interesting ad going.

The Focus interiors are close to each other. The extra gages were missing as was the Sync. The seats were different as was the trim. And of course the suspension. I drove a new ST the day I ordered the RS and was impressed with its power, handling and looks. Obviously the RS excels in all those areas.
As for the Civic R, it's gotten some very good press. Eventually I'll go and drive one when all the hype dies down.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I thought about doing the same once the hype dies down a bit. I've called a few dealers and they aren't allowing test drives unless you plan on buying, bunch of idiots.
A lot of the new cars coming out have similar looks- multiple exhaust pipes (either real or imagined), splitters, wings, spoilers, etc. they're all interesting. Even the new Camry has an interesting ad going.

The Focus interiors are close to each other. The extra gages were missing as was the Sync. The seats were different as was the trim. And of course the suspension. I drove a new ST the day I ordered the RS and was impressed with its power, handling and looks. Obviously the RS excels in all those areas.
As for the Civic R, it's gotten some very good press. Eventually I'll go and drive one when all the hype dies down.