Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Ksport coilover install and review w/pics

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just curious on that and another question I had was regarding general upkeep of the coilovers and things needed to protect against winter time salt and elements. I noticed it said the shock body is made of or already has rust resistant material on it. Is there any need to apply anything else to them or are they good as is?
If you are really worried about the namesake of your town eating away at these you could hit them with some Fluid Film at the beginning of each winter to give them a little added protection.
It will not stain them (like the Amsoil HD Metal Protector will, <-and this stuff REEKS!), and supposedly, it does NOT attract more grit or salt dust. [:)]

LILIKE16ST

Awesome thanks for the info. I'm in southeast va so it's not like Alaska here or anything we don't get tons of snow bit we do get some from time to time during winter months and there is salt to be dealt with as well. It's nothing like northern states but it's definitely not Texas or cali either lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You also could just hit the full underside/wheel wells with a power washer as I do after every 'salt storm', once it is warm enough to not freeze the water right out of the nozzle. ;)

checking in with great results

I haven't changed anything yet - need to schedule that alignment!
the car rides great and high speed as well as hitting large bumps at low speeds that once made me cringe.
I am considering these, as well as the Bilstein B14s (from your site of course). In terms of ride comfort and ride quality, how would you compare these to the stock ST suspension? I feel like the stock ST suspension is pretty good albeit a bit bouncy, and I would not want to make it any bouncier.

Thank you.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #25
I am considering these, as well as the Bilstein B14s (from your site of course). In terms of ride comfort and ride quality, how would you compare these to the stock ST suspension? I feel like the stock ST suspension is pretty good albeit a bit bouncy, and I would not want to make it any bouncier.

Thank you.
the handling is improved
it's not bouncy at all with the K-Sports
It's a bit stiffer but I think that's the intent, I can't imagine going back to stock now

@ron@whoosh I was hoping for a long term update. Are these still an amazing value, or is it worth spending more on a street car? I'm tired of no suspension travel with stock struts and lowering springs. street use.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #27
@ron@whoosh I was hoping for a long term update. Are these still an amazing value, or is it worth spending more on a street car? I'm tired of no suspension travel with stock struts and lowering springs. street use.
there are other optons for around the same $ that I would try before the k-sport
such as ISC and BC

there are other optons for around the same $ that I would try before the k-sport
such as ISC and BC
I'm very curious for you to elaborate on that since you had these and raved about them in the past. pm me if you don't want to criticize publicly please.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #29
I'm very curious for you to elaborate on that since you had these and raved about them in the past. pm me if you don't want to criticize publicly please.
nothing wrong with ksport other than they are truly a fiesta / mazda2 application
we were planning to release front/rear BBK's and make some adjustments to the Fiesta coilovers with Ksport but then our rep left and everything was dropped
Ksport is a decent kit but as stated there are better options specifically tested and equipped for the Fiesta ST realting to spring rates, height adjustment, and damping control
ISC N1 and BC standard coils are tough to beat in the under $1000 segment
If budget isn't an issue Fortune is the way to go over all others in the $2000 range.

thanks, although I'd think KW V3 would win at 2k with the compression and rebound adjustments?

Magnetic

Words of wisdom. ALWAYS ask Ron about parts before ordering anywhere. I have a great mechanic and his work is top notch. I never worry about my car after getting things upgraded and have never had a problem. Buuuut, I mentioned to him I was considering getting some coilovers for the FiST and he said he could get me a sweet deal on some K-Sports and assured I'd be happy with them. I had already been on Ron's site and saw he also had them available. I figured why not.

Fast forward to this week.

1. It took 2 months to get a date on install. (manufacturer issue) I bet Ron has them in stock and could've gotten them to me within 72 hours of order placement. (Insanely fast shipping!)

2. I just read Ron's take on the K-Sports. (They're not for the Fist but the standard Fiesta) I dont think my mechanic knew this so I can't blame him.

3. I have a strong feeling the price may not beat Ron's. And as he mentioned there are some better options for our cars.

I'm scheduled to get them installed this Friday and will update on what the cost will be. But honestly I'm already disappointed given they're not FiST specific. I will most likely sell them in the next few months and learn how to install coilovers on my own so I can recoup some of the losses on the K-Sports.

PS: Never doing that again! Whatever you need get it from Whoosh!

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I'm running ISCs and I love them - only reason I didn't buy them from Ron is that I'm local and got a partial sponsorship. I don't think I'm a good enough driver for better suspension but when I feel like I am, I'll go with Ron for v3 or 510s. This is the first car I've ever had coilovers on, always used struts/springs in the past. I set them to suggested specs and they've been great. But again, nothing to compare them to.

Magnetic

I'm running ISCs and I love them - only reason I didn't buy them from Ron is that I'm local and got a partial sponsorship. I don't think I'm a good enough driver for better suspension but when I feel like I am, I'll go with Ron for v3 or 510s. This is the first car I've ever had coilovers on, always used struts/springs in the past. I set them to suggested specs and they've been great. But again, nothing to compare them to.
Honestly I'm just hoping the K-Sports are a significant improvement over stock at least until I sort out how to install coilovers myself. I would've ordered the FA500's or 510's if I knew it was going to take this long. I've never had coilovers on a car either and wont have anything but OEM to compare it with. Would be bummed if I didnt notice much of a difference especially since I'm also getting Azenis 660's and want to be able to use their full potential.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Honestly I'm just hoping the K-Sports are a significant improvement over stock at least until I sort out how to install coilovers myself. I would've ordered the FA500's or 510's if I knew it was going to take this long. I've never had coilovers on a car either and wont have anything but OEM to compare it with. Would be bummed if I didnt notice much of a difference especially since I'm also getting Azenis 660's and want to be able to use their full potential.
What is your mechanical level of ability? Coilovers install is pretty easy in the grand scheme of things. Easier than brakes IMO.

Magnetic

I'd say from 1-5 probably a 2-3. I did a compression test for the 1st time recently and also installed the Whoosh Short Ram intake kit for the 1st time as well. Not sure if that qualifies LoL

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I'd say from 1-5 probably a 2-3. I did a compression test for the 1st time recently and also installed the Whoosh Short Ram intake kit for the 1st time as well. Not sure if that qualifies LoL
You can definitely take on the coilovers then. Need some decent sockets, a couple extensions, and a breaker bar.

Magnetic

I have a dewalt socket/wrench set that seems to have the basics.

What kind of extensions? I can grab a breaker bar. What size breaker bar?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Got it at costco like a year ago. haha
You need a decent length extension and a 10mm to reach inside the rear fenders. You should be able to use that set to do it, for sure. Breaker bar all depends on how seized your lower strut bolts are.

Magnetic

***Update in yellow

Words of wisdom. ALWAYS ask Ron about parts before ordering anywhere. I have a great mechanic and his work is top notch. I never worry about my car after getting things upgraded and have never had a problem. Buuuut, I mentioned to him I was considering getting some coilovers for the FiST and he said he could get me a sweet deal on some K-Sports and assured I'd be happy with them. I had already been on Ron's site and saw he also had them available. I figured why not.

Fast forward to this week.

1. It took 2 months to get a date on install. (manufacturer issue) I bet Ron has them in stock and could've gotten them to me within 72 hours of order placement. (Insanely fast shipping!)

2. I just read Ron's take on the K-Sports. (They're not for the Fist but the standard Fiesta) I dont think my mechanic knew this so I can't blame him.

3. I have a strong feeling the price may not beat Ron's. And as he mentioned there are some better options for our cars.

I'm scheduled to get them installed this Friday and will update on what the cost will be. But honestly I'm already disappointed given they're not FiST specific. I will most likely sell them in the next few months and learn how to install coilovers on my own so I can recoup some of the losses on the K-Sports.

PS: Never doing that again! Whatever you need get it from Whoosh!
10/4 - So my mechanic messaged me saying that not all the parts arrived. We're now over 2 months waiting for these coilovers and my 660 Azenis to get installed at the same time. (they arrived like 2 days after they were ordered) Hopefully it'll be this week. I'll post an updated when I have one.