Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Official Group Buy: Team Dynamics 17x8 Pro Race 1.2

Trader history for PCA-1 (0)

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #41
very nice...are these wheels in anthracite? also what tire size are you running with the 17x8's?
Here is the information I have:

Stock height. I won't be doing suspension until a good track coilover setup hits the Market.

Federal rsr 235/40
These have a thick side wall so I am sure I could run a 245/40 on a nt01.

If anyone is asking you for fitment purposes, it only runs on dips and bumps if I forget to slow down. And it does not rub on the fender, but on the bumper tab inside the fender. I track this set up and had zero rubbing on hard driving conditions!

The 235/40 is +1.18" wider than stock, and .94" taller than stock. This is considerably more tire than most will use. The 215/40 will allow for some drop although with the much larger 235/40, a drop does not look needed.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Here is the information I have:

Stock height. I won't be doing suspension until a good track coilover setup hits the Market.

Federal rsr 235/40
These have a thick side wall so I am sure I could run a 245/40 on a nt01.

If anyone is asking you for fitment purposes, it only runs on dips and bumps if I forget to slow down. And it does not rub on the fender, but on the bumper tab inside the fender. I track this set up and had zero rubbing on hard driving conditions!

The 235/40 is +1.18" wider than stock, and .94" taller than stock. This is considerably more tire than most will use. The 215/40 will allow for some drop although with the much larger 235/40, a drop does not look needed.
hey thanks for the info.....Do you think stock tires (205/40) on 17x8 wheels would be acceptable or too stretched?

This is a very good deal and I love these wheels however I was really hoping to upgrade to 17x7.5 wheels but I see your group buy only has 17x8 available which has still me on the fence here...

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #43
hey thanks for the info.....Do you think stock tires (205/40) on 17x8 wheels would be acceptable or too stretched?

This is a very good deal and I love these wheels however I was really hoping to upgrade to 17x7.5 wheels but I see your group buy only has 17x8 available which has still me on the fence here...
The rim width range for the 205/40 is 7-8 inches. Optimal sizing is 7.5". That being said, the amount of stretch is not beyond the rim width range. Compared to stock, it will be more evident, but not a crazy stretch. Note: The actual build profile of the tire (squared up or crowning) will affect the stretch as well. The Bridgestone should be more of a square build which should help minimize the stretch appearance.

Original J-Pat

Considering these which offset is best to fit coilovers and bbks in the future? is 38 too aggressive?

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #48
Considering these which offset is best to fit coilovers and bbks in the future? is 38 too aggressive?
For someone on coilovers, you are able to work with lower offsets better than someone on springs. Aggressive generally means either rubbing or the offset is so low the rim extends past the fender requiring camber adjustment to pull the top of the wheel inward of the fender line. If the rim is extending past the fender, other fitting procedures, such as fender rolling and fender pulling may become necessary.

If you are wanting to tuck the tire inside of the fender, 38mm will be tight in the rear with a drop. With coilovers, obviously you can get as much drop as possible, but likely it will be minimal if at all depending on the coilovers themselves. A higher offset, 42 or 45mm, will give you more clearance in the back.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I have bc coils lowered about 1" in the front with 16x7 40mm offset wheels and 205/50 tires and my tires rubs this in the fender well...
(Not my pic just using as example)

Mostly on hard bouncy cornering, road dips, bumps, potholes ect. And this is even after adding about 10mm preload and stiffening the damper to 21 from soft. I refuse to raise it because I love my stance so much. Im considering cutting some of that metal under the fender well to see if the tires clear on travel or buying new wheels with a higher offset and narrower tires. So beware when goin too low of an offset if lowering.

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #50
I have bc coils lowered about 1" in the front with 16x7 40mm offset wheels and 205/50 tires and my tires rubs this in the fender well...
(Not my pic just using as example)

Mostly on hard bouncy cornering, road dips, bumps, potholes ect. And this is even after adding about 10mm preload and stiffening the damper to 21 from soft. I refuse to raise it because I love my stance so much. Im considering cutting some of that metal under the fender well to see if the tires clear on travel or buying new wheels with a higher offset and narrower tires. So beware when goin too low of an offset if lowering.
There is some context I would like to add to stuntdoogie's quoted post. Generally, coilovers do not install at stock height, but rather are 1" to 1.5" lower than stock to start out with. From there, the coilover can generally be lower an additional 1" to 1.5" from the stock coilover height. I make mention of this as enthusiasts new to the coilover world often do not know to take into account the OEM height and the coilover's highest "height" setting.

Now for some numbers. Taking the mildest coilover standard height out of the box being ~1" lower than the oem suspension height, other aspects of lowering come into play. stuntdoogie has lowered his front coilovers an additional ~1", which is the equivalent to ~ 2" drop from the stock suspension height. A 2" drop, in and of itself is a healthy drop for any street car. Now lets look at the tire size choice. stuntdoogie went with a smaller diameter wheel, 16x7, and a 205/50/16 tire which results in a + .61" taller than stock combination.

Now the math. With the coilover's initial setting of -1" + the additional -1" of lowering give us ~2" drop. Then the wheel/fender gap was reduced by and additional .61" with the taller tire. The equivalent for fitment purposes is a 2.61" drop (or decrease in clearance). Anything 2.5" is without a doubt a sizable drop. Sure, there are those that will push the limits and make all the adjustments to go lower, but this is a very small percentage of enthusiasts looking for a real stanced out appearance. If rolling fenders, pulling fenders, or adding negative camber (will result in uneven tire wear) bother you, as well as dodging bumps and scraping on graded driveway entrances, etc., then a major stanced drop is not in your future.

In stuntdoogie's case, he could raise his coilovers and dial out the rubbing. With his current wheel offset and tire size, it is the only option available. As he rightly noted, a change to a higher offset (moves the wheel inward away from the fender), and/or a different tire size (something with a lower overall height) will add up to a setup that works with the drop he likes.

As a seller of wheels, with the recent (past few years) expansion of coilovers in the marketplace, I have been presented with many fitment situations. The methodology I used above is a general primer for the suspension dropping enthusiast. There is a bit more finer detail to consider, for instance taking into consideration additional wheel width, that would affect tire size and wheel offset, and then there is tire stretch, in which a wider width wheel is fitted with a stock width tire, or narrower (achieves additional clearance when needed).

What appears to be challenging is really no more than a math word problem. As a parameter is changed, so does how the wheel/tire locate and clear with respect to the fender or the strut. There exists innumerable spec combinations, for various reasons, that can be understood by solving the word problem. The internet has the available resources, tire/wheel fitment calculators, to assist (although none are 100% accurate due to variances in tire structure, which varies among different manufacturers...one tire may end up having a wider tread patch as opposed to a crowning tread patch which is narrower....for the same size tire...which affects the reality of the fitment, or are car specific in terms of inset spec..the factory setting for distance of clearance from the trie to the strut).

Hopefully I didn't lose anyone. I was no different than anyone else years ago and had to get my head around how offsets, wheel diameter and width, tire size, drop, etc. are all related. In no way is this post meant to pass judgment, but merely to inform and help to have an understanding. In this day and age, the market place still overwhelmingly leaves you with no choice in offset other than what is provided, and many enthusiasts have to use this offset as their starting point.

I would be remiss not to mention Team Dynamics offers the widest range of orderable wheel sizes/offsets/and standard color options than any other wheel manufacturer, and the wheels are by far one of the best true values out there. There are more expensive wheels out there that are not as good. One wheel or a million and one wheels...Team Dynamics will fill you order. In the context of the discussion above, having control over your wheel offset opens up options and decreases sacrifices when only one offset is available. [like]

Original J-Pat

That was a good explanation I'm still learning so ill probably come back and read this about 10 more times lol I dont mind either with scrapping its more about I wan't to get the tire to be completely flushed no gap with no fender pulling cuz my car is a lease and I'm pretty sure I can't be doing that

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Another data point, on 17x7 +42 wheels with 205/45/17 Bridgestone S04's, -1.9 front camber and a 1.25" drop over stock ride height the fronts would rub something fierce on dips and bumps and tight slow speed right turns. They would rub on the fender liners and the fender tab previously posted.

With a .75 drop from stock ride height and -2.1 front camber, same tires, zero rubbing in all conditions.

With 17x7 +42, 215/40/17 Dunlop Z2's and -2.1 front camber, zero rubbing, even on the race track, however the front tires are VERY close to the front strut body (BC coilovers), probably about 4mm maybe? If you are looking for the same amount of camber and the same width tire or even wider, I would highly suggest a lower offset wheel.

Original J-Pat

Thanks for the colors only if i could use photoshop I could see how they look on my car lol

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #56
What color is your ST? I can do a few colors, not many though. Lacking greater skills.

Original J-Pat

Tuxedo black if you cant no big deal I may have to wait awhile to save up for the wheels but im sure it will be these wheels just not sure about the color

LT Berzerker

What is the difference in color between your graphite & anthracite finishes??? As far a color...

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #60
What is the difference in color between your graphite & anthracite finishes??? As far a color...
Anthracite is heavily pigmented has a more dramatic change in shades as lighting changes. Anthracite is also a bit darker in general.