Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Trophy Finish for MeisterR at first National Auto-Solo Event

Trader history for MeisterR (0)

MeisterR

Vendor
So the past weekend we attended our first National Auto-Solo event.
The 2017 Tire Rack College Station Championship Tour, and it was certainly an experience.
https://www.scca.com/articles/2005718-2017-tire-rack-college-station-championship-tour-event-recap

Our team went into the competition feeling pretty confident, until we went to the grid and check out the competition's cars.
The top runners are using the Honda S2000 Club Racer edition, that is a limited run of 699 cars designed with aero package and soft top removed to reduce weight.
Only the CR are allow to run without the soft top, as the class rules state what came on the car in factory trim must stay; and looking at their engine bay you can see how well their cars were prepared.
Most are using the PasswordJDM carbon fibre intake, and a few cars was running Moton Clubsport 2-way adjustable coilovers; that is only what you can see.

In contrasts, we have a pretty standard 2007 Honda S2000 with 90,000 miles on the clock.
The only mods were a K&N intake, Invidia exhaust, Eibach front anti-roll bar, and MeisterR ZetaCRD coilovers in our prototype race specification.
Even our ECU was standard and unmapped... so you can imagine how our confidence drop "slightly :( " after seeing what we were up against.

Most were using the same tyres, the new BFGoodridge Rival S... so that mean we were on even ground at least on that part.
But never mind, this is our 1st national event so it was just to see where we sit outside of the Houston region.

The STR Class we are competing in have a total of 17 drivers, many are experienced veteran at national event.
Our driver is 21 years old Landon Thompson (who is getting a lot of stick up and down the grid because of his age), but it was all good fun.
Overall, the competition was great and environment was friendly; but you know it is a competition and people are serious and there to win when you speak with a few. :D

So at the end of the two day race, we end up just edging out for a 3rd place trophy finish out of 17 drivers.
Considering how under prepared our car was and it?s our first national attempt, we were all very happy about the result.

So that is it from MeisterR's team and our first national event, we came home with a blue cap (trophy winner) and a big meal at the end of the day.
We will continue to improve the car to bring it to a more competitive trim, and can only hope or better result in the next event.

It was a great weekend, just want to share our excitement and our result. :D

Jerrick

Congrats Jerrick and the Meister-R Team. That speaks volume for the driver skills of Landon and the suspension Tuning of the ZetaCRD. Good job!

OP
MeisterR

MeisterR

Vendor
Thread Starter #3
Yea, it is not an easy event at all.
We are all very happy with the result, especially the first time around.

Surprised quite a few people... especially when they all can "hear" that we don't have a tune because the VTEC cross over point was very high.
That mean everyone also know we are down on power, yet we were putting in blistering lap time.

The quote of the day for me was from a Co-driver of another S2000 who was also using the prototype spec ZetaCRD.
He is an auto-solo veteran also, and normally drive a 911 GT3 to auto-solo event.
I spend Saturday helping them setup, and so Sunday they got a few clean run with my recommended damping setting.

He came over at the end of the day and told my teammate:
?$20,000 car, $1,000 suspension, handles better than my $100,000 GT3.?

That made my day. [pray]

Jerrick

Haha..that would make anyone's day [like]. Well deserved compliments [pray]

He came over at the end of the day and told my teammate:
?$20,000 car, $1,000 suspension, handles better than my $100,000 GT3.?

That made my day. [pray]

Jerrick

OP
MeisterR

MeisterR

Vendor
Thread Starter #7
A video of the final run that got us our 3rd place finish.
Took 3rd place by 0.064 seconds, it was very close racing. :)

https://youtu.be/1DWypS8wtlE

Hope you guys enjoy watching the run.

Jerrick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Congratulations!

Finishing in the top 3 in an underdog car is quite the accomplishment and something to be very proud of:)

And you have one hell of a driver to put it into action.

I have a history of being in the wrong car for the class, big underdog and many top 3 results in several different car projects in SM class which I always found far more rewarding that winning in the right car with all the right setup on it so I really appreciate what you have done and how great it feels!

Since I decided to keep the car I might start running it in events in the future so will take a serious look into your coilovers though happy with the BCs on 8/7k swifts I might have to change:)

DAMN WELL DONE!
Rick

any fiesta guys running them for Street touring?

im planning to run 3-4 national events next year in Street touring hatch, Ft meyers prosolo, dixie nationals, NJ pro, and Nationals plus all my local and regional stuff, im on the konis and swifts now but its just too soft and rolls too much. i hate the lack of spring choices i have and not having camber plates

felopr

im planning to run 3-4 national events next year in Street touring hatch, Ft meyers prosolo, dixie nationals, NJ pro, and Nationals plus all my local and regional stuff, im on the konis and swifts now but its just too soft and rolls too much. i hate the lack of spring choices i have and not having camber plates
Cant you use ground controls on street touring? maybe talk to GC for any fiesta ST advancements

OP
MeisterR

MeisterR

Vendor
Thread Starter #11

It depends on how focus you want to get the car.
In terms of suspension, we have a few option... the main thing is about getting the damper valving right.

Springs swap is easy, but we want to really put the force on the tires with AutoX because you got about 60 seconds from start to finish.
Therefore, you need to get those tire temp up fast and get them to work hard for the short amount of time.

This all goes back to the tires, and for that class you are basically looking at the Rival S / RE71R.
I have a few idea I am working on at the moment, so I may have a few other option for you in the future. :)

Let me know when you have decided to go ahead with your project, we can build something custom for you.

Jerrick

It depends on how focus you want to get the car.
In terms of suspension, we have a few option... the main thing is about getting the damper valving right.

Springs swap is easy, but we want to really put the force on the tires with AutoX because you got about 60 seconds from start to finish.
Therefore, you need to get those tire temp up fast and get them to work hard for the short amount of time.

This all goes back to the tires, and for that class you are basically looking at the Rival S / RE71R.
I have a few idea I am working on at the moment, so I may have a few other option for you in the future. :)

Let me know when you have decided to go ahead with your project, we can build something custom for you.

Jerrick
yea, i actually emailed you guys on the site yesterday, im running rivals on one set of wheels and sur4g's on the other set depending on the event next year.