Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Any point to an e-tune for CA 91 pump gas on a mostly stock car?

Trader history for Clint Beastwood (2)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I found a couple stations with e85 near me, but they're generally shady stations and I kid you not, there's almost always a prius parked at the e85 pump filling with 87, then going into the quik-e-mart, then dawdling so it takes ~30 minutes to get e85 vs. 5 minutes to fill with 91. If I hit the station and the e85 pump is open I throw a gallon or so in then 91. PRIUS BRO - YOU CAN VAPE IN YOUR ECO RIDE, NO NEED TO STAND NEXT TO THE PUMP DOING IT!

Do you really not bother measuring your e85 %? I'm too paranoid for that lol, I'm too detail oriented for that, I try to look up torque specs for every fastener on the car, obsessively make sure I'm in adherence to specs with my work stuff, etc. Once my warranty is up maybe I'll get an ethanol gauge.

Right now I'm back on stock tune for a couple weeks before I head to dealer. My car's making the whirring sound when rolling to a stop that resulted in new axles/seals last time. Whenever I'm back on stock tune it's nice to not be looking at the AP to check knock, corrections, etc. - but MAN the rev hang and soggy throttle are bleaaurghghg. I'm pretty sure one of my top mounts (or both) is/are gone, but the dealership keeps saying they checked 'em and they're fine. My dealer's generally great because I've brought them a bunch of business (introduced a fleet purchaser to their sales manager) but for some reason on the mounts they are more... conservative.
You just have to keep in mind that we have all kinds of sensors and the ECU has a very wide fuel map that it can adjust with, just think of it as the torque spec is really that wide (15-40%) :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I run E30 on stock motor minus my intake. I love it. The power is mostly in the low rpms torque shove which is perfect for my style of driving. I love jamming around between 20-60mph in 3rd or 4th. I rarely get anywhere near redline as this car's motor runs out of steam up top and speeding tickets...

Having raced FBO stock turbo fists running 91 tunes it's not even close. From the launch and spool time alone they are behind me.

After upgrading to powerflex inserts the low down power is much more manageable to the point it feels slower if that makes sense. Hoping my coilovers don't amplify this.

With a standard off the shelf tune I don't worry about exact ethanol percentages. My tank empty light comes on, I fill with ~$10 worth of e85 (3.3-3.5gal) and the rest with 91. Been doing so for over a year no issues. If I run my tank almost dry I add closer to 4gal. I bombarded stratified with e blend questions and they told me their ots tunes compensate for e15-e40 and will always shoot for safe afrs.

Our fuel pump run out of flow past e40-e50 so I'm not too worried about over mixing.

Stratified linear throttle with no high tq option is the tune I'd upgrade to. I'm running strats old tune and I love it, but I'd consider it aggressive. Still have over 20k miles on my Indy 500s though and they aren't bald.

You do take an mpg hit but e85 is over a dollar cheaper than premium at Chevron. Blending a little more e85 helps combat summer gas.
Sounds like you might be surprised, but we can go to pretty much e55 safely, as long as it's tuned for, of course, e30 tunes run best at e25-e40... For you guys in Cali it's a no-brainer with only 91 but also e85 around that is so much cheaper, even with the slightly lower mileage it's actually cheaper per tank to run!

HBEcoBeaST

I'm sure it can handle more e% but I'm not trying to stress the stock pump especially on the stock turbo for a few extra hp. I like to have wiggle room and make power safely. I've had a couple vehicles run race gas/nitrous combos and I'm over stressing on exact fuel requirements.

As to retards always parking in front of the e85 pumps... It's inevitable. Driving a diesel the same thing happens. I try to not get too irked. On the flip side I had someone get angry when I was topping off 91 while at an e85 pump since they didn't see me put the first 3ish gals of e85 first.🤷

Use the gasbuddy app to find e85. Chevron has the best I've found consistently around 80%. Since I never plan on running on the ragged edge, I don't worry too much. Car runs great!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm sure it can handle more e% but I'm not trying to stress the stock pump especially on the stock turbo for a few extra hp. I like to have wiggle room and make power safely. I've had a couple vehicles run race gas/nitrous combos and I'm over stressing on exact fuel requirements.

As to retards always parking in front of the e85 pumps... It's inevitable. Driving a diesel the same thing happens. I try to not get too irked. On the flip side I had someone get angry when I was topping off 91 while at an e85 pump since they didn't see me put the first 3ish gals of e85 first.🤷

Use the gasbuddy app to find e85. Chevron has the best I've found consistently around 80%. Since I never plan on running on the ragged edge, I don't worry too much. Car runs great!

But besides given a custom e50 tune for free for being a guinea pig, I mainly use my nice and safe but still perfectly strong Dizzy e30 flash tune at around e35 percentage... Honestly it's true that e50 doesn't really add any power really anyway, but can give more options in just how to add spark, etc but not worth it for a daily... Even his e50 tune is not worth running the ragged edge at the full e50, I actually feel better running e45 on it and as much as it annoys Tim he agrees it's totally fine at that high of a percentage to start with. I only run that tune if I go drag racing, which may be only a couple of times summer just for grins... To compare, with just an e30 tune and an RMM our car runs a 14 flat quarter while that is the same time as a new BMW 330i with quick shifting automatic... So our cars aren't THAT slow, once you give it the fuel it loves! LOL.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So I went ahead and bought the 93 and E30 tunes. Only thing I've changed out is the spark plugs to the step colders. I didn't realize how much boost these cars ran stock, it's pretty crazy.

I posted my Vdyno results on the base map on the vdyno thread. If you want to follow the progress and compare to see if the gains are worth it to you.

I'm completely stock except for the spark plugs. I'm making about 150whp/200wtq with the mustang dyno 0.95 correction factor. I'm not sure which CF is the best for this car, but it's just something to measure gains from.

Now I'm waiting for my revision. It's like Christmas morning anytime you receive an e-mail from your tuner.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So I went ahead and bought the 93 and E30 tunes. Only thing I've changed out is the spark plugs to the step colders. I didn't realize how much boost these cars ran stock, it's pretty crazy.

I posted my Vdyno results on the base map on the vdyno thread. If you want to follow the progress and compare to see if the gains are worth it to you.

I'm completely stock except for the spark plugs. I'm making about 150whp/200wtq with the mustang dyno 0.95 correction factor. I'm not sure which CF is the best for this car, but it's just something to measure gains from.

Now I'm waiting for my revision. It's like Christmas morning anytime you receive an e-mail from your tuner.
Just go with the DynoJet defaults if you want to compare, that's what everyone else uses... I'll check out the vDyno thread, but I usually get 205/265 on pump, 220/300 on e30, with the stock turbo being so small you have to use a lot of boost to move much air.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Just go with the DynoJet defaults if you want to compare, that's what everyone else uses... I'll check out the vDyno thread, but I usually get 205/265 on pump, 220/300 on e30, with the stock turbo being so small you have to use a lot of boost to move much air.
I've never been a fan of dynojet numbers because they tend to be higher, and I don't like inflated numbers. My best measure for improvement will be my 60-100 times in a 4th gear log.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've never been a fan of dynojet numbers because they tend to be higher, and I don't like inflated numbers. My best measure for improvement will be my 60-100 times in a 4th gear log.
Your numbers are far from inflated, even with the settings I suggested they look stock with a touch more torque, while most of us are at 200/260... Keep in mind the stock numbers of 197/202 or whatever at the crank are actually a touch low, some cars have dyno'd 182/225 at the wheels stock. Of course, settings make all the difference, don't cheat on the weight and get your actual barometric pressure and use SAE corrected but for comparison purposes and what the stock power is based on means DynoJet is more applicable.

at what RPM did you set your dizzy pop to work? I was thinking about it, since thats my next step, and i am strongly considering a higher rpm range, probably 5000 plus, since i really dont need to hear it when I just coast around town.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
at what RPM did you set your dizzy pop to work? I was thinking about it, since thats my next step, and i am strongly considering a higher rpm range, probably 5000 plus, since i really dont need to hear it when I just coast around town.
Which pop option, loud or regular?

I got both, with no rpm limit. The “quieter” pops gimme just a little bit on upshifts and a bit more when coasting down in gear so I’m happy with that one always on. With the “loud” option I would probably set it at like 4500-5000 because when it’s always on the popping is *absurd*.

Which pop option, loud or regular?

I got both, with no rpm limit. The “quieter” pops gimme just a little bit on upshifts and a bit more when coasting down in gear so I’m happy with that one always on. With the “loud” option I would probably set it at like 4500-5000 because when it’s always on the popping is *absurd*.
I would most likely get the loud pop unless Jason wants to hook me up with 2 files... lol

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I would most likely get the loud pop unless Jason wants to hook me up with 2 files... lol
the loud one, honestly, pops so much while decelerating that it sounds like a constant misfire. very artificial. The lighter pops is more like a Focus RS style of popping, though it can get a little rambunctious while compression braking. While decelerating if you feather the gas ever so slightly you can make it pop "at-will".

the loud one, honestly, pops so much while decelerating that it sounds like a constant misfire. very artificial. The lighter pops is more like a Focus RS style of popping, though it can get a little rambunctious while compression braking. While decelerating if you feather the gas ever so slightly you can make it pop "at-will".
oh- good to know, are there any video source, or would you be able to post up or send me some videos to see the difference? hard to gauge with description only....

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
oh- good to know, are there any video source, or would you be able to post up or send me some videos to see the difference? hard to gauge with description only....
is the pops annoying? im scared here since everybody has a gun on them, I may get shot at when it was my car
Heres a thingy I recorded this morning. Sorry it took so long, I didn't realize how long it'd take me to compress uncompressed 4k video, then I had to upgrade my account for videos longer than 15 minutes, then I had to reencode the audio, etc. lol. Apologies in advance for the audio, I swapped in a new camera battery and it reset the mic sensitivity to one billion percent, so the mics clipping a bit. Again, sorry bout that. This is in the car, windows up, mic at approximately head level as close to the drivers' seat as I could get it, so with headphones in it should sound pretty close to how it would sound while driving. Youtube is still processing, so if it looks like butt now it should eventually be available in 2.7k or 4k.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHna_W8ADoo

Dpro

6000 Post Club
After watching your vid now I want an ITG Maxogen intake. As I know it will not be as obnoxius as the 2j but will give me more noise. Also I agree on the extreme pop.