Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

billet aluminum Fiesta ST front lower control arms ;)

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

What are the bushings made out of? they look solid. Would there be options for softer bushings if these are indeed solid?

Should also add that these look pretty sweet. any plans to anodize them at all?

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
What are the bushings made out of? they look solid. Would there be options for softer bushings if these are indeed solid?

Should also add that these look pretty sweet. any plans to anodize them at all?
this is a race inspired part, you can use them on the street though
I'd suggest DNA LCA's or OEM with Powerflex bushings for a less aggressive set up

anodizing will be optional

Will these be able to accept stock bushings, or are they a bespoke replacement piece?
The reason I ask is that SCCA Street Touring allows replacement arms, but the bushings must be the same type (spherical replaces spherical) as the originals and cannot have more metal in the bushing compared to the factory piece. If there were drop in poly bushing options, I'd be on board!
Also, would love to hear about weight and price estimates!

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Are those 6061-T6? Yeah, some drain holes would be good. LOVE them! A bit of advice...1/8-inch minimum radius chamfer all around to avoid cracking. Those sharp edges will get dinged and start stress risers.
excellent feedback !
this is the prototype set
drain holes and radiused edges will be present in the production parts

Woods247

2000 Post Club
It will be interesting to see how they hold up to track use after frequent curbing contact. Which aluminum did you choose?

this is a race inspired part, you can use them on the street though
I'd suggest DNA LCA's or OEM with Powerflex bushings for a less aggressive set up

anodizing will be optional
Would it be possible to make these with standard sized bushing pockets? That way one could use stock or aftermarket bushings, and you could sell them with the setup of their choice...

ronmcdon

wow all solid bushings very nice. how does this compare to the nicer dna lca? both seem to use solid bushings.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Likely the same strength but cheaper. What makes dna "nicer" other than looks?
Maybe ronmcdon was referring to the heim/spherical jointed, fully adjustable DNA LCAs as "nicer" than the welded, non-adjustable DNA ones?? [dunno]

ronmcdon?

Last edited:

ronmcdon

typically solid bushings have less flex than polyu, delrin and rubber. i don't agree it's the same strength. as I understand it, it's tradeoff between nvh and feedback. not really concerned about looks here.

ronmcdon

Maybe ronmcdon was referring to the heim/spherical jointed, fully adjustable DNA LCAs as "nicer" than the welded, non-adjustable DNA ones?? [dunno]

ronmcdon?
yes correct sorry if that was a source of misunderstanding. I could be wrong, but my understanding is with the cheaper DNA lca, it uses some polyu or delrin non caster bushings. Similar to these parts https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...control-arm-front-bushing-2014-2019-fiesta-st
the nicer dna lca all bushings look to be solid.
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...table-suspension-arms-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st
afaik, on the stock lca one can only get polyu or oem rubber bushings.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As far as strength of the actual arm itself, exclusive of type/style of bushings/joints used, I would expect something hewn (CNCed) from BILLET, even aluminum alloy billet, to be ultimately stronger than even chromoly which is welded together (I will let others comment on the quality of said welds, or not).

I am NOT a materials engineer (any on here, who can chime in on this?), so not too sure at what point/PSI level the factory steel, and DNA chromoly arms would bend, and if that PSI level is above, or lower than, where the billet alloy ones would actually shear. [dunno]

Last edited: