Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

billet aluminum Fiesta ST front lower control arms ;)

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

ronmcdon

the pricier dna lcas are steel which ought to be more durable than aluminum. I think durability depends on construction of the part too. wish there were more feedback on the dna lcas.

5052 aluminum is just a sturdy & durable as Chrome Molly..and more water-corrosion resistance...important in this application. I would take a billet aluminum piece over a fabbed steel piece any day, but it depends on the grade of ali and the design. A full racing application would require 7075 aly...but it is really expensive!

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A word of caution to the wise...If ur plans are to daily these, they WILL transmit more NVH and overall ride harshness will increase. But they are DOPE! The increase in response at the wheel will be nuts. I went full poly in my LCAs on a MK4 Jetta years ago and LOVED the way it turned in but my god, the bumps and potholes in NYC were murder.

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
A word of caution to the wise...If ur plans are to daily these, they WILL transmit a more NVH and overall ride harshness will increase. But they are DOPE! The increase in response at the wheel will be nuts. I went full poly in my LCAs on a MK4 Jetta years ago and LOVED the way it turned in but my god, the bumps and potholes in NYC were murder.
My car is already gutted, on track spec coilovers, motor mounts, and MBRP exhaust. I'll deal with more NVH for the driving experience.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car is already gutted, on track spec coilovers, motor mounts, and MBRP exhaust. I'll deal with more NVH for the driving experience.
And you brutha are who these are made for! lol

Magnetic

A word of caution to the wise...If ur plans are to daily these, they WILL transmit more NVH and overall ride harshness will increase. But they are DOPE! The increase in response at the wheel will be nuts. I went full poly in my LCAs on a MK4 Jetta years ago and LOVED the way it turned in but my god, the bumps and potholes in NYC were murder.
Will the harshness still be extreme if the dampening is set to soft?

Magnetic

Dampening will have little or no effect with heim joints or full-stiff poly joints. Vibration and such will be transmitted into the body at the inboard joints unabated.
what about a slight taller tire? I know I will end up putting them on the car even if I have to remove them. I guess it’s one of those things you have to try and see if you like it/can handle it.
The way is mentioned above sounds like it’s going to sound like driving on metal wheels. But is it really that bad? I’ll never know until I try. (2 weeks later: FS DNA Lower Control Arms LoL)
Will just have to wait and see.

what about a slight taller tire? I know I will end up putting them on the car even if I have to remove them. I guess it’s one of those things you have to try and see if you like it/can handle it.
The way is mentioned above sounds like it’s going to sound like driving on metal wheels. But is it really that bad? I’ll never know until I try. (2 weeks later: FS DNA Lower Control Arms LoL)
Will just have to wait and see.
No....lol...not like metal wheels, but if you expect any dampening from horizontal loads, you won't get it. That's why the factory uses rubber bushings, right? Taller aspect ratio may make a small difference, but, I judge it would be minor unless you went from 40 to 70.

Magnetic

No....lol...not like metal wheels, but if you expect any dampening from horizontal loads, you won't get it. That's why the factory uses rubber bushings, right? Taller aspect ratio may make a small difference, but, I judge it would be minor unless you went from 40 to 70.
I can deal with a bit of harshness since the Pierce 6pt brace has settled a ton of the rattles/shimmies/vibrations in the ride. So if it feels more like stock as far as those things, as long as the steering is direct and crisp I would deal with it. LoL

Thi
5052 aluminum is just a sturdy & durable as Chrome Molly..and more water-corrosion resistance...important in this application. I would take a billet aluminum piece over a fabbed steel piece any day, but it depends on the grade of ali and the design. A full racing application would require 7075 aly...but it is really expensive!
This is not entirely true sir. From a material engineer, 5052 is your typical AL sheetmetal grade and nowhere close to the tensile strength of chromoly (70k bs 128k). 7075 would get close, but where steel flexes and bends the 7075 AL will break. It might be the difference between a DNF and hobbling over the line. 6061-T6 will bend to a degree and is a good choice for working out the design/prototypes. As far as weight goes, there's more nickel in 7075 so at a point you're adding weight compared to schedule 40 DOM chromoly.