Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Boomba Racing Wing Riser Group Buy !

Trader history for Boomba Racing (0)

Point it out in the comments next time you buy something with us and we'll make it worth your while [like] !
Yeah... so, umm, I finally finished unwrapping the entire package and found the bottle opener wrapped up with the screws. I had only unwrapped the risers themselves. Thanks for the opener!

I did find one minor problem with getting a set of red risers to put on my black ST - the stickers for covering up the body holes are now red-on-black. Luckily it's pretty hard to see them without looking close, next spring I'll probably find some black stickers to put on instead.

And please forgive my dirty car. It hurts to see it like that, but it also hurts to wash it when it's 0F out.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Nice!!! Also, I was gonna say something about the dirt but then I saw your last sentence, lol.

HaveBlue83

Hey all. I stripped the center risers with the Boomba Logo as well. Boomba suggested retapping them with 1/4" tap and using a slightly bigger screw. It was an easy fix. I used the 1/4-20NC Tap and used a 1/4-20x3/4 Flange Bolt.
Ok so im about to purchase $140 worth of AL here and now I'm kinda worried about having to retap parts.....i have a tap but im leery of putting improperly made parts on my $25,000 car....can boomba please elaborate on why these are not supplied with the proper tap and screws????

Plz take note of my sig line!!!!!!

MOFiST

I haven't put mine on yet but yah I'd hope Boomba could clarify what the problem was/is? I'd obviously prefer not to tap anything. I did check all the holes on each part of mine and they all seemed to be threaded to match the included screws.

Ok so im about to purchase $140 worth of AL here and now I'm kinda worried about having to retap parts.....i have a tap but im leery of putting improperly made parts on my $25,000 car....can boomba please elaborate on why these are not supplied with the proper tap and screws????

The kit does come properly tapped and correct screws. The center risers aluminum is soft and is set at an odd angle so you just have to be careful when tightening the center wing screw into the risers. I would suggest testing and putting in the screw to the center risers (without bolting into the car and wings) first by hand before and seeing how the angle goes in.

I stripped mine because I was rushing and trying to install at night.

MOFiST

So the take home message seems to be don't over torque the screws as the tapped threads are prone to stripping.

So the take home message seems to be don't over torque the screws as the tapped threads are prone to stripping.
Yes, and take your time when installing to make sure the factory fasteners thread into the risers correctly.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #251

Hey there!

No tapping is required. The risers come with everything needed to install on your car including the proper size screws and threaded wing risers with o-rings for a weather tight seal.

The problem that has been referred to is one or two cases of people having stripped the risers upon installation.

As long as you follow the instructional video, there shouldn't be any problems. The biggest thing to be careful of is the use of power tools. Since these are small pieces, power tools are not recommended and we advise strongly against them for the installation of this part. Hand tools are more than enough. Also be sure that everything is aligned before installation, making sure not to force anything into place.

If you have any questions, let us know!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Hey there!

No tapping is required. The risers come with everything needed to install on your car including the proper size screws and threaded wing risers with o-rings for a weather tight seal.

The problem that has been referred to is one or two cases of people having stripped the risers upon installation.

As long as you follow the instructional video, there shouldn't be any problems. The biggest thing to be careful of is the use of power tools. Since these are small pieces, power tools are not recommended and we advise strongly against them for the installation of this part. Hand tools are more than enough. Also be sure that everything is aligned before installation, making sure not to force anything into place.

I think your statement is not entirely correct.

In my case, the tapped portion of the center risers did not extend all the way down to the end of the drilled holes. If I had continued to apply pressure, I would have stripped out my threads, as you are installing a steel fastener into an aluminum thread form, and the steel fastener is stronger than the aluminum. I only used hand tools in my installation. My sugestion is to thread the OEM fasteners into the center risers. If the fastener does not go into the threadform deep enough, you will need to run a tap into the threaded hole. If, upon installation, the fastener goes in smoothly for several turns, but then becomes tighter, but the wing is still not tight, you will probably need to chase the threads with a thread tap. This is what I had to do to make my setup work. Most likely, there is a manufacturing problem with a small percentage of the center risers. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a metric tap.

HaveBlue83

I think your statement is not entirely correct.

In my case, the tapped portion of the center risers did not extend all the way down to the end of the drilled holes. If I had continued to apply pressure, I would have stripped out my threads.......... Most likely, there is a manufacturing problem with a small percentage of the center risers. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a metric tap.

Hey there!

It seems like a few people got center pieces that didn't get a full tap run through them. They didnt notice and cranked down and stripped pieces out. QC checks on parts to catch a bad batch will catch this.

Im gonna hold off on these right now. This and the aero changes/possible change in MPG are my two main concerns. It looks cool but im a bit wary of having to refab $140 in parts. Thanks for the reply boomba.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #254
It seems like a few people got center pieces that didn't get a full tap run through them. They didnt notice and cranked down and stripped pieces out. QC checks on parts to catch a bad batch will catch this.

Im gonna hold off on these right now. This and the aero changes/possible change in MPG are my two main concerns. It looks cool but im a bit wary of having to refab $140 in parts. Thanks for the reply boomba.
Every product we sell, including these wing risers, gets tested before we ship to ensure full functionality.

We have sold quite a few of these so far and the number of people that have had to refab them in any way shape or form is less than we can count on one hand.

We can understand you wanting to hold off, but we just want you to know we will do whatever possible to stand behind our products and keep our customers satisfied.

Chris G

FYI I've put over 500 miles on mine with the wing risers and have seen absolutely ZERO difference in MPG.

Mine also went on without a hitch when following the install video. Sounds like a few folks may have had some bad luck but overall folks are having little to no trouble when installing these.

HaveBlue83

thx for the replys. I will think about it. glad to hear the MPG isn't affected. I don't wanna be negative towards boomba, just probing for info before I commit to a mod. the few issues I saw kinda scared me off for a bit.

Just to balance out the discussion a little... I had absolutely no trouble with installing the risers. I took my time and followed the install video step by step. Came out great!

By the way, the install video is one of the best ones I've ever used. Thanks Boomba for providing us with this type of support. I'm very happy with mine.

Not sure what the issue is here. I mocked my wing with risers up, took my time to make sure everything was even, threaded the screws into the risers by hand, checked again that everything was good before I tightened them. Went on perfect without any issues. Thanks Boomba for making another quality product!