Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Dizzy Tuning and wastegate install review

Trader history for kompressor55 (0)

Just wanted too make a quick write up about my recent experience with Jason. I know there are many people who has had great performance out of his tunes, this is a proven fact around this community and he is one of the go to staple guys on platform. I actually had the chance to have him preform some work on my car. I had the Turbosmart 7 psi wastegate and his custom e85 content gauge installed along with tuning service for e40/93.
The work was top class everything fits and works perfect. The car drives better then it ever did !!!!
But the one thing I give him the most respect for is his ability too understand how too guide a customer to build this platform.
He really spent some extra time with me explaining the mods on his fiesta, and the direction that will give me the most value for my money spent.
I would have no problems going forward to use him again for installation/ tuning services....This guy knows what he's doing and if anyone is local enough to him its the right place too be.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
Well he's wayyyyyyy out in long island
I live in the city and it took me about 1hr 20mins with no traffic
But to be honest I don't think you will find shops that will ever really specialize in this platform, when you think about it, its the only car with this setup that will be modded for performance gains, so its like a one off car...... Am almost certain it wont turn into the EVO or STI. So to have a one stop do it all kinda guy out there is pretty cool

I also have a custom 91 tune with the wastegate and the e-40 tune. Night and day difference on how the car makes power and also makes it more linear. I should've done a write up but the install is not that bad.

Take off the winshield wipers, headlights then cowl then crossover pipe. Then the hardest part is mangling and getting the damn heat shield out. After that it's just a couple of bolts and a boost line holding the wastegate in then just follow adam at tune+ video on how to adjust preload and put it all back together. All in all I've done 3 and can probably get it done in 2-3 hrs if the heat shield works with me. That is also with me taking my time and using hand tools. Love dizzy and when I go big turbo I will be using him as the tuner

Erick_V

I haven't looked back there in a little bit but is it easier to install the WGA from the top or under the car? I already have the heat shield removed so the difficult part is done lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well he's wayyyyyyy out in long island
I live in the city and it took me about 1hr 20mins with no traffic
But to be honest I don't think you will find shops that will ever really specialize in this platform, when you think about it, its the only car with this setup that will be modded for performance gains, so its like a one off car...... Am almost certain it wont turn into the EVO or STI. So to have a one stop do it all kinda guy out there is pretty cool
FULLY AGREED!!

I am at a minimum 3 times that travel time (with NO traffic, but when is there EVER no traffic headed out that way, as I've been on the L.I.E. at three in the morning and it has stood still, without an accident!!) from Dizzy, and even for a factory snail, I am willing to make that trip for an in person tune. [wink] [thumb]

Even more so now that it seems that Mitch L., formerly of CP-E, is NOT doing tunes, or any work anymore, in relatively 'nearby' (in travel time) Baltimore.

OP
K
Thread Starter #9
From what I seen at his shop its a one man, one car type of operation. Its not like taking you car to big name operation (not that anything is wrong with that)
So its gonna be constant high quality, low volume output worth every penny.

Yes the power is very liner...almost feels like its more usable since you get better boost at higher Revs, I find it more impactful in 3rd & 4th gear on the highway.

What is the effect / benefit of any aftermarket WGA on a factory turbo?

Before this car, my previous turbo experience was with the older Ford 2.3 Turbo, that had 80's era fuel injection meaning, very little ECU control over anything. On ours and other newer cars, the ECU effectively fully controls the signal to the WGA and therefore controls boost output. But the older turbo cars, the boost was ultimately controlled by the WGA. Whatever the pressure rating on the WGA spring is where the actuator would fully open.

So, knowing that the ECU is in control of the boost signal sent to the WGA, what does a stiffer / higher boost rated spring on the WGA do on our cars?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So are we bumping up E30 to E40 because we're maintaining more boost on the top end?

I've been running stock sparkplugs, I have the step colders, but I've been running E30 almost exclusively on stock parts. Now that I'm upgrading the wastegate, crossover pipe, intercooler, should I be looking at switching back to step colders?

@kompressor55

Any chance you could load some graphs of your e40 tune so we could all admire the powerband with the new wastegate? I'm trying to decide between stock WGA and flash tune or if the +7psi WGA with custom tune is worth it.

Last edited:
@kompressor55

Any chance you could load some graphs of your e40 tune so we could all admire the powerband with the new wastegate? I'm trying to decide between stock WGA and flash tune or if the +7psi WGA with custom tune is worth it.
To answer your question adding the turbosmart actuator and getting a custom tune over a flash tune is with out a doubt 100% worth it.

Erick_V

To answer your question adding the turbosmart actuator and getting a custom tune over a flash tune is with out a doubt 100% worth it.
Needed to hear this, probably going to install mine this Fall/Winter. I need to get a new spring for the WGA I bought second hand because I believe it has a 14psi spring. I’ve been meaning to ask Jason this but I’ll ask it here. For those of you that went E40 w/ WGA did you guys also buy a separate tune for 93? I hardly ever drive on 93 and when I do I hardly get into boost but I don’t see an option for a flash 93 with the wastegate so was wondering if it was just a flash or required a full tune

Needed to hear this, probably going to install mine this Fall/Winter. I need to get a new spring for the WGA I bought second hand because I believe it has a 14psi spring. I’ve been meaning to ask Jason this but I’ll ask it here. For those of you that went E40 w/ WGA did you guys also buy a separate tune for 93? I hardly ever drive on 93 and when I do I hardly get into boost but I don’t see an option for a flash 93 with the wastegate so was wondering if it was just a flash or required a full tune
From what I read the WGA puts you in custom tune territory and everyone who has posted about getting the custom e40 tune also got a new 93 tune with the +7psi WGA. It makes sense as you're taking the engine to territories it wasn't mapped to do and every turbo/engine is going to act a little different when hitting those limits.

I still have 30 months and 40K miles left on the powertrain warranty so I think I'm going the monstertuned adapt-X route and keeping the engine/turbo/transmission bone stock. monstertuned is running a combo off-the-shelf tune for 93 and e30 adapt-x right now which was just the nudge I needed. they claim you can get 260hp at the crank with the e30 tune and that's all the HP i need running to my front wheels before i go LSD.