Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Gear shift assistance

Hi all petrolhead,

it seems the RS has a gear shift assistance (not the RS LED !!). I had a discussion with a mechanic by my ford dealer. I told him that I have a problem on my RS. For example when I drive in 6 gear at 3000RPM and I de-clutch the engine speed remains at 3000 rpm during 4 or 5 seconds before falling back to idle speed. The mechanic told me, it's not a problem but it's the shift gear assistance.
Do you have the same behavior on your RS ?
For me this assistance his a big shit on a sport car. I asked my dealer if it's possible to remove this assistance but he didn't know !
I had an RS MK2, I sold it to weeks ago. I didn't have this shit assistance on my old RS MK2

Many thanks for your answer.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
That's odd, I'll take a video tonight on the way home so you can see how mine downshifts. What driving mode are you driving in?

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Here's a video of mine shifting from 1st to 6th.
[video=youtube;EDq6Oa00Bts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDq6Oa00Bts[/video]

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your quick answer and your Video.
I have the problem in normal mode and sport mode also.
I'll take a video this night, make some comment (when I de-clutch), try to post the video and show you the result.
By advance sorry for my poor english during the video, I'm not a native speaker.
It seems you don't have the problem.
The behavior I try to described is best seen when your are in the 6 gear on the highway for exemple at 3000rpm and you de-clutch.
After I have to wait 3 or 4'' before the engine fall back to idle speed.

Hello I joined the video. As you can see I de-clutch after 3 seconds. When you see a light increase in RPM I have full declutch. The regime speed stay duting 2 or 3 seconds before falling to idle
I hope , it works !!
Thanks for your help[video=youtube_share;cNJiw3lcgtY]https://youtu.be/cNJiw3lcgtY[/video]

Many thanks

Last edited:

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I see your issue now. I wonder if its a software issue with the transmission. You should show the dealer a copy of my video so they can see its not normal.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
Hello Guy,
I was to my dealer last week for a PCM and Radio upgrade. I take adavantage of this visit to test the Focus Rs of the garage with my dealer.
We had exactly the same behaviour. (your are in the 6 gear on the highway at 3000rpm and you de-clutch, you to wait 3 or 4'' before the engine fall back to idle speed.)
We explained this to the chief mechanicher and he told us that it's normal. The goal of this feature is to let the turbo under pressure during 3 or 4 seconds (a kind of shit gear assistance).
For me it's big shit because you can't desactivate it.
I'm a little bit surprised to be alone on the formum to find this behaviour abnormal !!!

LonestarRS

[MENTION=73]steger9[/MENTION] have you thought about getting an aftermarket tune to see if they can adjust this? I find it interesting that Ford would have a different tuning characteristic for Europe and the US.

Hello Guy,
I was to my dealer last week for a PCM and Radio upgrade. I take adavantage of this visit to test the Focus Rs of the garage with my dealer.
We had exactly the same behaviour. (your are in the 6 gear on the highway at 3000rpm and you de-clutch, you to wait 3 or 4'' before the engine fall back to idle speed.)
We explained this to the chief mechanicher and he told us that it's normal. The goal of this feature is to let the turbo under pressure during 3 or 4 seconds (a kind of shit gear assistance).
For me it's big shit because you can't desactivate it.
I'm a little bit surprised to be alone on the formum to find this behaviour abnormal !!!

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
Yes, in Luxembourg there is a company (Shiftech) very well know for aftermarket tune of focus RS
I'll ask them if they have remove this feature.