Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

NEW Product - whoosh motorsports Performance Coil Packs

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, I know you and @esp_martin are geniuses and all, so I appreciate the schooling on the various terms, as well as spapk plugs. But since you seem to be hanging mechanical credibility on proper English definitions, know that utilizing a term or phrase as commonly used in culture, whether technically correct or not, is generally accepted practice, both face-to-face in informal settings and certainly on the internet. Most importantly, it doesn't negate the point, no matter how much you want to justify your pretty coils.

But feel free to tell us about all the dyno HP you picked up, Champs.
SPAPK* Spark?

Well, I know you and @esp_martin are geniuses and all, so I appreciate the schooling on the various terms, as well as spapk plugs. But since you seem to be hanging mechanical credibility on proper English definitions, know that utilizing a term or phrase as commonly used in culture, whether technically correct or not, is generally accepted practice, both face-to-face in informal settings and certainly on the internet. Most importantly, it doesn't negate the point, no matter how much you want to justify your pretty coils.

But feel free to tell us about all the dyno HP you picked up, Champs.
@cidsamuth my fault if what i wrote was taken as an attack or belittling you. wasn't my intention. if you want an apology then consider this me apologizing.

like i said before in your original post, you came in hot repeating what other people had already said (that coil packs won't increase anything on power/efficiency. and that if you do see anything then you probably had bad coil packs).

all i did was point out everyone agreed with you and that the people who DID see a difference were wondering if they had bad coil packs.

someone else then pointed out that "placebo effect" gets misused by *a lot* of people (not just you specifically) and i agreed with that. i didn't mean anything personal by it.

i hope we're good and that we can continue on with coil pack discussion!

p.s. i've never been in the same room as a dyno; if you woulda put me in this forum five years ago i would've thought people were talking about taking their cars to a Paleolithic era museum

Just got these and installed on a 62k mile car, hybrid turbo, street powerflex mount inserts and whoosh rmm. On a 43F cold start, these absolutely smoothened out the nvh I had before at low rpm idle and driving. Car feels brand new. No way of knowing if the stock coils were on their way out but these new ones were a great refresher for the car, definitely worth the price and 10 min install.

Ive had mine in a bout a week, definitely notice an increase in smoothness, almost can’t tell I have a RRM, even with the AC on.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I started another thread on this, but Tune+ said he does not recommend anything besides OEM coil packs. Since switching to brisk silver step colders and whoosh coil packs I'm seeing pretty heavy ignition corrections in cylinder 1. I just sent him a log.

Dialcaliper

I started another thread on this, but Tune+ said he does not recommend anything besides OEM coil packs. Since switching to brisk silver step colders and whoosh coil packs I'm seeing pretty heavy ignition corrections in cylinder 1. I just sent him a log.
Did you ever figure out if it was a the brisk plugs, coil packs or neither causing the issue or something else entirely?

For example, ruling out a bad plug or bad pack by shuffling the plugs and packs to see if the cylinder corrections still happen on cyl 1 or if they shift? You shift the plugs over one cylinder and the packs over by 2 cylinders and you could pretty quickly identify a bad apple with just one round of plug change.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Did you ever figure out if it was a the brisk plugs, coil packs or neither causing the issue or something else entirely?

For example, ruling out a bad plug or bad pack by shuffling the plugs and packs to see if the cylinder corrections still happen on cyl 1 or if they shift? You shift the plugs over one cylinder and the packs over by 2 cylinders and you could pretty quickly identify a bad apple with just one round of plug change.
I’m not changing anything until he reviews the logs.

Use NGK ruthenium's, I did not really care for the Brisk plugs. I have the whoosh coils, and ruth plugs and my car runs flawlessly. The coils are not the issue.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Use NGK ruthenium's, I did not really care for the Brisk plugs. I have the whoosh coils, and ruth plugs and my car runs flawlessly. The coils are not the issue.
So an observation. I swapped in the whoosh coil packs at the same time as the brisk plugs. I noticed the coil packs were "too tall". They stuck out probably an 1/8" higher than they should.

I just swapped back in stock heat plugs, put the whoosh coil packs back on, and they sit about where the stock ones, almost flush.

@ron@whoosh , the brisk plugs seem to sit higher, or prevent the whoosh (and maybe stock) coil packs from sitting near flush like they should.

That aside, I took a log and saw some negative corrections, but none in cylinder 1 (put the coil packs back where they were for science). Most negative corrections I got during a 3rd gear WOT was -1.50. Which after seeing a -5.25 in cylinder 1 on the brisk plugs earlier, didn't seem so bad.

For anyone that cares to follow my logic. I tried the step colder silver brisks because I was already having fouling issues with NGK step colders, lots of carbon all over the plug. Tune+ gave me the blessing to go back to stock heats. They've mostly been fine, but my idle has been stumbling a little lately so I figured I'd get new coil packs and plugs. The brisk spark plugs claim they still work well even when fouled, so I thought I would give them a try. Right now I would have to agree with everyone else, I don't like them. Ignition corrections were the most I've ever seen and they don't seem to fit well with at least the whoosh coil packs.

Last edited:
I didn't like the brisk silvers either. Mine only lasted about 5~7k miles. Same problems that gtx3076 experienced. Ruthenium plugs are great.😁

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Anecdotal, I know - but when I used to have my fiat 500 Abarth, I swapped to alfa romeo 4c coils and it cleaned things up a lot. No real observable performance gain, but the same "cleaner" feeling, less vibration, slightly better manners at low speed. It's likely going to be a non-quantifiable improvement, just a "seat of the pants" one until someone really pushes the stock coils to the point where they can't keep up and then swaps to the whoosh ones. Surprisingly, in that case - I was at the dealership getting my car serviced and asked them to look up the coils and they were *cheaper* than the original fiat ones. Who'd have thought!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm waiting on some plugs to come in right now from whoosh - after I get them I might just order the coils. I keep going to the page and staring at them... so shiny... if it improves the low throttle manners of the car then maybe I'll grab a set. It's not always about peak HP, especially as I get older, I'll spend money just to be more comfortable and if the car is less "vibratey" then thats a QOL improvement I can get behind.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's always humorous when the term 'placebo' gets used when it comes to car modifications, SMH with a chuckle.

That being said, my search on the topic at hand brought up the idea that a larger spapk plug gap can be used with aftermarket coils. Have you had a chance to try out this theory?

"Hey I got my new coils from whoosh!"

The gap:
View: https://youtu.be/NQQMK1Rvq0A?t=3

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I received and installed my coils today. Observations so far:

1. Everything seems smoother. Less vibration at idle, smoother putting around a parking lot. Just put in new poly engine and trans mounts and was annoyed by the extra vibes, they’ve mostly gone away with the new coils.

2. The car feels noticeably slower - It’s not burning the tires when I roll on the throttle in second gear anymore. It’s not “slow” just “slower”.

3. I always pull est. torque readings from my access port before and after mods. I know the numbers aren’t very reliable, but the numbers going up or down is something I try to correlate with the butt dyno.

I’m currently running the adapt-x tune, since I find it the most livable for daily use. It generally adapts tuning to new mods pretty quickly. I reset ecu learning and will go a few days then try again.

In case someone asks, the est. torque number on 91 octane is usually 255-268 lb ft depending on ambient temps. The peak I got today putting around 10 miles on with the new coils was 226 lb ft. No trouble codes or anything.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I received and installed my coils today. Observations so far:

1. Everything seems smoother. Less vibration at idle, smoother putting around a parking lot. Just put in new poly engine and trans mounts and was annoyed by the extra vibes, they’ve mostly gone away with the new coils.

2. The car feels noticeably slower - It’s not burning the tires when I roll on the throttle in second gear anymore. It’s not “slow” just “slower”.

3. I always pull est. torque readings from my access port before and after mods. I know the numbers aren’t very reliable, but the numbers going up or down is something I try to correlate with the butt dyno.

I’m currently running the adapt-x tune, since I find it the most livable for daily use. It generally adapts tuning to new mods pretty quickly. I reset ecu learning and will go a few days then try again.

In case someone asks, the est. torque number on 91 octane is usually 255-268 lb ft depending on ambient temps. The peak I got today putting around 10 miles on with the new coils was 226 lb ft. No trouble codes or anything.
That's interesting. I didn't notice any difference in power, and I set a personal best at the track after installing them -- which I attribute to my tires, but main point is that it certainly didn't get slower.

Is it possible that you accidentally moved the tune to the economy setting? I did that once -- at the track, of all places.