Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Official Customer Satisfaction Program 17B32 Head Gasket Service Bulletin

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #22
Well update gang....

I canceled my original appt. I talked to my husband and he was pretty pissed they wouldn’t say for sure that I would get a loaner. Obviously the guy who was answering the phone had no clue what was going on and refused to deviate from a script he was given.

So plan B:
Took a recommendation from my friend Mac and went to his dealership today to check it out.

Night and day...
First off the dealership is bigger, newer and seemed more like a new car dealer vs a used car lot.
Secondly, only the assistant service manager would take the appt for the RS FSA. He also told me they were only taking one a week so they had plenty of time and also had a loaner ready for you. He already knew Ford was reimbursing for 4 loaner days and they could call to get more approved if needed.
Because of this my appt now isn’t until Feb. 26th which is fine. Only a month away.
He also mentioned they had 5 certified SVT techs there.
I didn’t have to ask a single question... he volunteered all the information I wanted and needed.

I’m so glad I discussed it with my husband... I feel 150% better about this whole thing now and I truly feel my car will be in good hands.

I think I found a new Ford dealership for good [rockon]

Once again, I will keep you all posted.

Moral of the story? If you don’t feel like your dealer is up to the job find one that is... they are out there and some actually have their stuff together.

meFiSTo

Car goes in for pressure test next week.

Apparently, every RS is going to get a replacement head gasket. Depending on the results of the pressure test, owners could wind up with a new cylinder head.

Notes from a summary in The Drive from as week ago:

Ford wouldn’t confirm any of this, but earlier this week the company began issuing notices to dealers and owners informing them of a new head gasket replacement program for the Focus RS. Legally speaking, it’s not quite the same thing as an official recall through the NHTSA, though the majority of Focus RSes have actually been sold overseas and doing it all in-house should ensure that owners can access a designated repair facility wherever they live - free of charge, of course.

The solution covers every single Ford Focus RS built between August 3, 2015 to July 6, 2017, which could suggest the issue is slightly larger in scope than the 3-percent failure rate often tossed around in various reports. Dealers will replace the head gasket and perform an extended pressure test to determine if the entire cylinder head needs to be replaced as well. Perhaps as a way of sweetening the deal for aggrieved owners, Ford is also throwing in rental car coverage for the estimated two-day repair job.

There is a catch, though: Owners have until January 31, 2019 to take advantage of the free fix. Also, cars that have been modified to the point of voiding the warranty are excluded.

Link to source.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #25
Got the official letter today in the mail. Exactly like the sample one I posted.

Anyone else get one yet?

meFiSTo

What I wonder about is whether this is a permanent solution or if this is a band-aid over a bit of a time bomb even for cars that catch this before a failed cylinder head or any real leakage. There's been discussions about differing metal causing heating differentials, warping, etc. Sigh.

As an aside: Exhaust was pouring out white smoke at cold startup this morning. It smelled sweet. @%# man, the Fiesta ST has a engine-related recall too.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #32
What I wonder about is whether this is a permanent solution or if this is a band-aid over a bit of a time bomb even for cars that catch this before a failed cylinder head or any real leakage. There's been discussions about differing metal causing heating differentials, warping, etc. Sigh.
Now you are talking a completely different part of the car.
I’m not worrying about what if... lots of people have many happy miles on their cars with no issues from either end.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #33
New info available...

Looks like they are adding more parts for the repair/replacement:

meFiSTo

At least Bill Pierre is getting some practice with this process. They had 15 "new" RS cars on their lot that needed the fix. They pretty much got their's done first.

As an aside, I saw a NB 2018 Limited edition RS in one of BP's lots (across the street from their service center). It was still wrapped up in plastic, but I could see the black wing.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #35
Well my "change oil" light came on today... not sure if I'm having an issue.

Car only has 2,900 on it and I had the oil changed once already at 1,000.

Well my "change oil" light came on today... not sure if I'm having an issue.

Car only has 2,900 on it and I had the oil changed once already at 1,000.
If it's been a year since you bought it, that's what triggered the light. You also changed your oil too soon, unnecessary at such a low mileage- feel free to ask why I know. Because you changed your oil early, no light was on therefore, nothing to reset. Your wasting you hard earned $$$ changing oil too soon/too often.
Mac

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #37
Spoke to the dealership and yeah, light was probably never reset or set to 5k. So no biggie.
I can reset it myself or have them do it if I swing by.

My RS goes in next week, I'll have to remember to ask the advisor if they plan to extend the engine's warranty.