Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Track Crowd

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Anyone here track their RS yet?

I've been trying with hitting the track for a number of years with various other cars I've owned, but 2017 may be the year I finally take the plunge.

I would most likely be staying semi local and hitting thunderbolt in NJ.

Drag strip or autocross? Drag strip I plan on doing it after the car gets a chance to break in.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
I meant road tracks. But any track I am wondering about as well.
I'm hoping to hit an event in August... the car should have plenty of time to be broken in for me at that point.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I'd love to do a road course one day, most likely will hit drag strip too. Did you register for RS adrenalin?

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
I'd love to do a road course one day, most likely will hit drag strip too. Did you register for RS adrenalin?
No... 2017 is pretty much filled. No mention of 2018 classes yet. Not sure if I am going to do it.

LonestarRS

They had a pretty good road course out here in TX until a few years ago but unfortunately had to shut it down due to cost. That Thunderbolt track looks really badass.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
They had a pretty good road course out here in TX until a few years ago but unfortunately had to shut it down due to cost. That Thunderbolt track looks really badass.
It's supposed to be pretty good, and it's not far from me... maybe 1.5 hours?

LonestarRS

It's supposed to be pretty good, and it's not far from me... maybe 1.5 hours?
1.5 hours isnt bad at all. Just make sure you don't overly abuse your brakes. I've known people that had to tow their cars home because they burnt their brakes out on the road course.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #9
1.5 hours isnt bad at all. Just make sure you don't overly abuse your brakes. I've known people that had to tow their cars home because they burnt their brakes out on the road course.
No kidding!

meFiSTo

With the several hiccups I had last year in the Fiesta, I'm switching to using the RS as my occasional track toy. I got it out for the first time last weekend. Just getting to know the car and really getting reacquainted with The Ridge in Shelton. I love this car for track days. So stable compared to the Fiesta. But: The stock tires SUCK, although at their limit (which is not particularly high) they break away very undramatically -- which is good. Here's an image from the day:

I posted a couple more in my "blog" thread.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #14
With the several hiccups I had last year in the Fiesta, I'm switching to using the RS as my occasional track toy. I got it out for the first time last weekend. Just getting to know the car and really getting reacquainted with The Ridge in Shelton. I love this car for track days. So stable compared to the Fiesta. But: The stock tires SUCK, although at their limit (which is not particularly high) they break away very undramatically -- which is good. Here's an image from the day:

I posted a couple more in my "blog" thread.
Which tires came on yours? Just wondering... I think there are a couple different.

And all that matters s you are in front of the Subaru [rofl][rofl][rofl]

meFiSTo

Which tires came on yours? Just wondering... I think there are a couple different.

And all that matters s you are in front of the Subaru [rofl][rofl][rofl]
They are the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport Max Performance Summer tires. They are GREAT summer street tires. They are not really track tires. At least, they are not nearly the track tires compared to the tires that come with the optional forged wheels. The PILOT SPORT CUP 2s are vastly superior for track days, but that's not what came with this car. Those are "streetable" track tires.

For eventual replacements, I think I would split the difference and go for the RE-71Rs. I've run NT01s on my other cars and, for the money, they are tough to beat. But: They are NOT for street use. Way too soft. They pick up rocks etc. like crazy. There is an "XL" version of the RE-71R which would suit our porky little hatchbacks.

As for that Subaru, well, at the track, when a car is visibly "behind you", that USUALLY means, they are getting set to pass you. That is probably what is happening here. Although I think that we were heading to the "checkered" flag for this session and this car did not go around me during the cool down lap. I'm not the fastest driver (nor the slowest) and am just getting used to this car. Getting passed (letting by) is not a concern for me. As I built speed during the day, fewer cars were getting in position to pass. It was mostly on the back side of the track which is fairly technical and drivers that know the track can really build speed in areas where I'm still getting a feel for how much speed to carry through turns.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #16
They are the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport Max Performance Summer tires. They are GREAT summer street tires. They are not really track tires. At least, they are not nearly the track tires compared to the tires that come with the optional forged wheels. The PILOT SPORT CUP 2s are vastly superior for track days, but that's not what came with this car. Those are "streetable" track tires.
Ah, ok. That's what came on mine as well. Just curious.
Like you said, great street tire.

As for that Subaru, well, at the track, when a car is visibly "behind you", that USUALLY means, they are getting set to pass you. That is probably what is happening here. Although I think that we were heading to the "checkered" flag for this session and this car did not go around me during the cool down lap. I'm not the fastest driver (nor the slowest) and am just getting used to this car. Getting passed (letting by) is not a concern for me. As I built speed during the day, fewer cars were getting in position to pass. It was mostly on the back side of the track which is fairly technical and drivers that know the track can really build speed in areas where I'm still getting a feel for how much speed to carry through turns.
LOL I was just teasing about the Subaru... I work with too many Subaru drivers. t was nice to see it behind you, even if it was about to pass you.

Thx for the feedback on your track day... keep us updated, at some point I want to get to the track with this car.

Last edited:

meFiSTo

Ah, ok. That's what came on mine as well. Just curious.
Like you said, great street tire.

LOL I was just teasing about the Subaru... I work with too many Subaru drivers. t was nice to see it behind you, even if it was about to pass you.

Thx for the feedback on your track day... keep us updated, at some point I want to get to the track with this car.
You will have fun with it. Hard to imagine a "safer" car to drive at the track at speed. It's kind of the polar opposite of an Alfa 4C though. Where the 4C is nimble, light, and quick -- much like an Elise or Exige, the closest thing I can compare to with the RS is my old Audi S4 Avant. I never tracked that car personally, but I did ride in a buddy's S4 Avant at Portland back in the day (talking about 2004). It was like a freight train. Handling in big sweepers felt like it was on rails. Fast and planted. I think this car feels more nimble than that, if you can call it that. A little more agile, but the size is pretty close to the old S4. The S4 was 7 inches longer, which is real, but the main difference is the some 600 lbs. difference in weight. That would explain the superior sense of agility with the RS.

I'm interested to see how I can improve as I get used to this car's character. It'll take time though since I'm not likely to attend more than a few track days a year. I think the car is now set, although I am getting a very cool, largely self-contained, Waylens Horizon in-car cam to reduce distractions. I drove SO much better once I yanked the damn iPod. Tires, brake pads, fluids, nut-and-bolt. Go. Eventually there's wear items like brake discs and wheel bearings, but that's all the price of track days. No more in-paddock wheel swaps. Thank God.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #18
You will have fun with it. Hard to imagine a "safer" car to drive at the track at speed. It's kind of the polar opposite of an Alfa 4C though. Where the 4C is nimble, light, and quick -- much like an Elise or Exige, the closest thing I can compare to with the RS is my old Audi S4 Avant. I never tracked that car personally, but I did ride in a buddy's S4 Avant at Portland back in the day (talking about 2004). It was like a freight train. Handling in big sweepers felt like it was on rails. Fast and planted. I think this car feels more nimble than that, if you can call it that. A little more agile, but the size is pretty close to the old S4. The S4 was 7 inches longer, which is real, but the main difference is the some 600 lbs. difference in weight. That would explain the superior sense of agility with the RS.

I'm interested to see how I can improve as I get used to this car's character. It'll take time though since I'm not likely to attend more than a few track days a year. I think the car is now set, although I am getting a very cool, largely self-contained, Waylens Horizon in-car cam to reduce distractions. I drove SO much better once I yanked the damn iPod. Tires, brake pads, fluids, nut-and-bolt. Go. Eventually there's wear items like brake discs and wheel bearings, but that's all the price of track days. No more in-paddock wheel swaps. Thank God.
Nice! Thx for the feedback! I think it will be a great track car as well as a great DD.

meFiSTo

Hey [MENTION=132]GhostRS[/MENTION]:

I got out for another track day at Shelton.

Here's a short video:

[video=youtube_share;454s9Kq8V_k]https://youtu.be/454s9Kq8V_k[/video]

I wrote up some notes in my "build" blog: here.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #20
Hey [MENTION=132]GhostRS[/MENTION]:

I got out for another track day at Shelton.

Here's a short video:

[video=youtube_share;454s9Kq8V_k]https://youtu.be/454s9Kq8V_k[/video]

I wrote up some notes in my "build" blog: here.
Thx! Looks like a great day for the track!
I need to read through your post still.