Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Traded my ST for an RS yesterday.

I purchased a 2017 RS yesterday and am super excited. I had a 2016 ST and enjoyed that car a lot. I put on a lot of miles between MN and IL so really like the AWD idea. I've alway been a big car guy so the performance will be fun.

I have two questions I am hoping to get some feedback on:
1. The car is certified used with low miles but the first owner put a muffler delete kit on it. It's obnoxious so I need to fix this. I am looking for advice on what muffler to get. I see quite a few people on forums that have mods listed without exhaust being one of them. Does this mean the stock system is good and I should just put the stock one back on? All I have found so far is CAT back systems and would rather not put all that on.
2. I am 6'2" tall. The primary concern i have had all along with the RS is the seat. I don't fit between the lower wings of the seat well and it is very uncomfortable. Has anyone had this issue and figured out some "minor" mods i could do or have an interior shop do? I can feel that there are hard supports in these sides of the seat, are they metal? If so i think they could just be bent outward a 1/2" on each side and that would make a huge differance? Idea's please...

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Congrats [MENTION=259]radrick[/MENTION]

The stock exhaust is more than enough for most add-ons. Most people normally go after sound when swapping out the exhaust.

Did you have any issues with the seats on the FoST?

OP
R
Thread Starter #3

The stock exhaust is more than enough for most add-ons. Most people normally go after sound when swapping out the exhaust.

When I first got the ST I had issues with the seats on drives to Chicago. But I just decided to put up with it and eventually got very used to them. I ended up liking them better than my original Focus the SE. I guess I'm hoping that happens with the RS although these seeds are much more aggressive.

OP
R
Thread Starter #4

I have test driven 3 RS's all of them had exhausted changes. I'm not sure I've heard a stock one. This one I bought with the muffler delete is obnoxious. I do want to have a little town but it must be all but silent on the highway. I guess maybe I need to go to my Ford dealer and have them fire up a stock one.

LonestarRS

Welcome [MENTION=259]radrick[/MENTION], I have the same issue with you on the seat bolsters. I was hoping the seats will break-in a bit, but after a year they are still as tight as the day it left the dealer.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Welcome! I personally would go with the stock muffler.

And sorry to hear about the seat issue... you tall people and your problems LOL

OP
R
Thread Starter #7
My dad and I restore antique cars and do some interior work. I am going to look into pulling the drivers seat out so we can pull the covers up over the lower wings. I can feel that there is a rigid element in the wing. If the foam isn't adhered to the wing and if it is steel I believe i will be able to bend it outward slightly. If that is all possible then the cover should be able to take up the small amount of slack by reattaching it slightly tighter. Someone cautioned about air bags in the seat? Does anyone know if that is true? Is there a web site that would have a "blowup" of the seat internals like the OEM parts manuals?

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
I just got my muffler put on about an hour ago. I can now get after it without simultaneously being embarrassed and experiencing momentary defense. Call me old but the days of running open exhaust are 20 years behind me along with no AC, broken down suspension and unmatched tires. I bought this car to have a seriously fast car with refined features.

since i picked it up I've had is sideways coming off a stop light on left turns, three times. Love this thing!!!

I appreciate all the help and feedback everyone!!!