Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Pro Race Wheels For Your Fiesta ST !

Trader history for PCA-1 (0)

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #461
Great to hear! How would a 225/45/17 tire go with the 17x7? I was leaning towards that one to try and reduce the weight, or would the 17x7.5 be a bit better? This would be on stock suspension as I also want a meatier tire like a 215 or 225, sorry for many questions.
225/45/17 is too tall. 215/45/17 is problematic. 215/40/17 works.

Generally speaking:

On paper an increase in wheel width over stock, with stock tires, will stretch the tire resulting in additional clearance. This works only because there is a constant (the stock tire). When deviating from the stock tire, results vary as tires themselves are generally not equal in dimension, size to size. For example, a tire that runs small for its size will be shorter and or not as wide VS a tire that runs large which will be taller and or wider given the same size wheel.

The above is a "rule of thumb". Generally, choosing a taller than stock tire size decreases the fender gap. One seeks a taller tire either for larger tread patch and or increased sidewall for a smoother ride. Obviously there is a limit, and from the known tire sizes/wheel width dimension for the ST, the 215/45 is tall enough to be marginal at best, for example, not rubbing all the time, only at full lock, or over bumps, or when the car is carrying additional weight, etc.

Questions? Please ask.

225/45/17 is too tall. 215/45/17 is problematic. 215/40/17 works.

Generally speaking:

On paper an increase in wheel width over stock, with stock tires, will stretch the tire resulting in additional clearance. This works only because there is a constant (the stock tire). When deviating from the stock tire, results vary as tires themselves are generally not equal in dimension, size to size. For example, a tire that runs small for its size will be shorter and or not as wide VS a tire that runs large which will be taller and or wider given the same size wheel.

The above is a "rule of thumb". Generally, choosing a taller than stock tire size decreases the fender gap. One seeks a taller tire either for larger tread patch and or increased sidewall for a smoother ride. Obviously there is a limit, and from the known tire sizes/wheel width dimension for the ST, the 215/45 is tall enough to be marginal at best, for example, not rubbing all the time, only at full lock, or over bumps, or when the car is carrying additional weight, etc.

Questions? Please ask.
Thanks for all your help! This really cleared things up for me, I need to sit down and weigh pros/cons of size and looks of what I want and how I want to proceed.

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #463
Thanks for all your help! This really cleared things up for me, I need to sit down and weigh pros/cons of size and looks of what I want and how I want to proceed.
Understood. Happy to assist. Any questions, please let me know.

OP
PCA-1

PCA-1

Thread Starter #476
Back on board, pun intended.

FWIW, the forum had zero to do with PCA's ghosting. The lapse was an administrative error on my part. Thankfully all is back to normal. Assuredly I apologize to the admin and everyone affected.