Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

BIG MOUTH picture thread!

Trader history for VelossaTech (0)

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yeah, that will be problem now, I cut it off.

However, it is about half way down the BM from the top where the Cowl starts to curve. I could have just gone down the curve about 3-4 inches and cut out a swath 2.5 inches high and the width of the big mouth and that probably would have done it, maybe a little more maybe a little less. As you can see from the picture, I just cut he whole thing off which worked better for me. When I did that, the bumper cover literally laid right back into position. As I said in an earlier post, I may make a cover for it. I may not,

From the factory this curved cover in the picture lays flat.
Thanks but if you still have the cut piece (in on piece) maybe lay it on top and show the interference. No worries if you cannot, but like you factory fitment means no modifying the factory parts. a little sanding here and there for tolerances I understand.

antarctica24

Much appreciated. While I also appreciate the design, fitment is big for me. I'm going to pass on this piece and move forward with my own DIY solution in order to retain the stock fitment of the cover etc. Your review is the same experience I've heard both locally and on here now. Maybe a revised piece will appear in the future, but for now I'm out. Good review [thumb]
Not to stick up for Velossa, The solution may be different than you think. This is a good design, moving past direct factory replacement. You might work no telling how long to come up with something as good as this piece. The better solution may be to buy this piece, or get Velossa Tech to help us come up with a cover that covers from the entire left and right maybe out of carbon or Aluminum with provisions for the hood release. That way his design works as described and we can cover up the hole.

antarctica24

Thanks but if you still have the cut piece (in on piece) maybe lay it on top and show the interference. No worries if you cannot, but like you factory fitment means no modifying the factory parts. a little sanding here and there for tolerances I understand.
Let me see what I can do for you. Based on what I was looking at last night, I don't think sanding can fix this. The fact that Velossa even mentioned it, means he knows. A new cover that goes from left to right makes more sense to me. I am not sure if I have said what I do, I do accident photography. So looking at bumpers and fenders all day, forces me to be over critical of fitment. When I see a gap somewhere it pisses me off especially on my ride. When I get home Ill see what I can do for you.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I cut mine the same way that Antarctica describes and has pictured here. It really looks fine, it's not a big deal provided you can make a clean looking cut which is easy with the right tools.

Antarctica, I appreciate your confidence in this product as being something more than show. I would love to see any testing and data that you do that proves the same. In my case, I installed my new front mount at the same time so I was not able to do any sort of isolated testing on the bigmouth alone. But I will say that my gas mileage has improved by about plus one since install, though that could be contributed to by other parts and a new tune.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=929]antarctica24[/MENTION] Now that I have more coffee in me I see the picture and the cut. Would still like to see, if possible, the piece you cut so once the coffee fog wears off I can remember it. What you have done is a solution I can live with. My sanding comment was to agree with you about the caveat of extra cutting maybe required should be upfront.

antarctica24

Gas mileage

I cut mine the same way that Antarctica describes and has pictured here. It really looks fine, it's not a big deal provided you can make a clean looking cut which is easy with the right tools.

Antarctica, I appreciate your confidence in this product as being something more than show. I would love to see any testing and data that you do that proves the same. In my case, I installed my new front mount at the same time so I was not able to do any sort of isolated testing on the bigmouth alone. But I will say that my gas mileage has improved by about plus one since install, though that could be contributed to by other parts and a new tune.
Jeff

I'm driving about 300 miles today I will be watching the mph very closely I'll post at end of day with results. I will tell you after installing exhaust and fmic, charge pipes, and bov, my gas mileage dropped from 30.2 to 29.7. Some have said I am expericing a placebo effect on the power. I am not sure I agree with that assessment. This car is pulling a lot harder than it was and has been verified by two other people. I'm still trying to find a dyno shop near me to verify.

I know we the virtual dyno thing but I don't want to use that yet. I'm still running on the stock tune and have not hooked up the access port yet.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #67
The purpose of the product was more air flow. You just need to work on your delivery. Be completely honest and upfront. Customers feel so much better cutting up their car if they know up front. After you pay for a product, get it, and then it doesn't fit as expected, then you have a problem.
I dont think I wasnt being up front, the intake touches the cowl, and maybe it was just my naivety but I didnt cut any of the cowls when I did the installs. I wasnt hiding anything either, the intake does allow you to put the cowl back on with all the clips, it does touch and does require you to put the screw back in a certain order etc... But overall, I dont think it would deter people from wanting the product even if I had to add the option "if you want to cut the duct portion, here is how to do it". I just never cut it, but if you feel that I need to add that to the instructions, I can do that.

J2FoRS

I dont think I wasnt being up front, the intake touches the cowl, and maybe it was just my naivety but I didnt cut any of the cowls when I did the installs. I wasnt hiding anything either, the intake does allow you to put the cowl back on with all the clips, it does touch and does require you to put the screw back in a certain order etc... But overall, I dont think it would deter people from wanting the product even if I had to add the option "if you want to cut the duct portion, here is how to do it". I just never cut it, but if you feel that I need to add that to the instructions, I can do that.
The bigger concern is like you said, the ones you did you didn't cut it, but how's the fit of their bumpers? Are the gaps the same and fitment OEM? What we are reading here is that WITHOUT cutting it the bumper cover and cowl cover do not line up as per OEM. The only installs that haven't had to cut the cowl for proper bumper replacement are the ones you've done yourself. So either something is getting seriously lost in translation or people are doing something wrong. I guess this is a matter of waiting for others to risk their money to review to product. I was more than ready to order the BM as I just ordered a splitter and FMIC so bumper will need off anways, until I started seeing reviews here and on the Facebook groups requiring cutting and poor fitment etc.

I think it's a great product and great idea and looks amazing. However sometimes full disclosure or a simple install video proving claims goes a long way for small companies launching into markets.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #69
The bigger concern is like you said, the ones you did you didn't cut it, but how's the fit of their bumpers? Are the gaps the same and fitment OEM? What we are reading here is that WITHOUT cutting it the bumper cover and cowl cover do not line up as per OEM. The only installs that haven't had to cut the cowl for proper bumper replacement are the ones you've done yourself. So either something is getting seriously lost in translation or people are doing something wrong. I guess this is a matter of waiting for others to risk their money to review to product. I was more than ready to order the BM as I just ordered a splitter and FMIC so bumper will need off anways, until I started seeing reviews here and on the Facebook groups requiring cutting and poor fitment etc.

I think it's a great product and great idea and looks amazing. However sometimes full disclosure or a simple install video proving claims goes a long way for small companies launching into markets.
From my experience, the ones I fit without cutting the cover I can tell you that, the bumper went back on ok. So as long as you leave the screws a little loose, you should be ok. Line everything up, and then tighten down screws alternating between them. I think I will just update the instructions with all this new info.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #70
Not to stick up for Velossa, The solution may be different than you think. This is a good design, moving past direct factory replacement. You might work no telling how long to come up with something as good as this piece. The better solution may be to buy this piece, or get Velossa Tech to help us come up with a cover that covers from the entire left and right maybe out of carbon or Aluminum with provisions for the hood release. That way his design works as described and we can cover up the hole.
Do you guys want covers in different colors? lol

antarctica24

Dan,

I think what you said here says enough. If you were to put on your website, that during initial testing and test fitment you were able to install your product without making modification, but it is important that the specific sequence is required to make the fitment back to factory or close to factory. however, some customers have experienced having to cut some portions of the upper cowl in order to reinstall bumper back to factory location. This needs to be stated with the product not just in the instructions for no other reason that some people are just stupid and don't read installation instructions prior to making purchase. I was not one of those people, I read it and sill bought it. And again, you could change the design to make it fit, but I would not do that. That would defeat the purpose IMHO.

For anyone else reading this, I want to reiterate one more time, Dan makes not a good product but an exceptional product. I am very happy with the product up until it rains, and then I may have new comments, because Dan clearly indicated this works in a down poor and he might know he lives in Florida and it rains there almost every morning in the summer. :), But so far in the dry, I love it. I love the build quality, I love that it was printed. it is a great approach to getting more air into the engine.

Our conversation here just for those reading, is Dan making modifications to show that the product may require some modification to upper cowl to get the bumper to go back into factory position as it came from the factory. This is very important to some people, and needs to be clearly defined and spelled out.

I get the impression you are young, and apparently innovative. I would offer, disclosure make people feel better about a purchase. This is one of those things, spelling it out up front eliminates potential upset customers. if you document it, and a customer buys it and then complains they have no one to blame but themselves.

antarctica24

Do you guys want covers in different colors? lol

Now see that is what I am talking about. Attack the problem head on or turn a negative into a positive . Hell yes we want different colors. including some kind of carbon thing. It needs to go all the across and have provision for hood release. That way you get to sell your piece as it was designed, and give us a way to cover up cutting the curved piece off with some style.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #73
Now see that is what I am talking about. Attack the problem head on or turn a negative into a positive . Hell yes we want different colors. including some kind of carbon thing. It needs to go all the across and have provision for hood release. That way you get to sell your piece as it was designed, and give us a way to cover up cutting the curved piece off with some style.
Thanks for the support, really. It is important that the evolution of the product moves forward, not backward!!

I will be updating the instructions with more detail and options. I think a cover may be in the works too :)

antarctica24

Same as [MENTION=3329]j2FiST[/MENTION] for me. I would hope the shroud should be able to be cut much closer to the product opening. Let us know your progress please and thank you.
ok, took a look at it, pictures are not going to help, but I will describe for you.

If you are standing in front of the car, looking at the curved cover piece, It appears that if you were to cut out a 3" x 3" square out of the lower right hand corner, it would clear. However and but, it is very difficult for me to tell at this point. I really am of the opinion, just cut it off, and Mr. Dan is going to design a cover. The improvements digested during the day felt really good.

antarctica24

Thanks for the support, really. It is important that the evolution of the product moves forward, not backward!!

I will be updating the instructions with more detail and options. I think a cover may be in the works too :)
There is one more thought as you progress through the design. One common theme through out this conversation since you introduced this product has been about cutting the large hole in the radiator shroud. A thought might be to split the your piece into to pieces creating a flange on both pieces. Create a template to cut the radiator shroud that matches the Inner Diameter of the Big Mouth. Then put the top piece on, mark the holes drill holes through the radiator shroud, and bolt the top and bottom together making them now part of the shroud. Then you create a cover to cover the whole top cowl after cutting the curved piece out, and the new cover piece has the word Velossa embossed in raised lettering going across the top from left to right. So when at a show, not that you cant see this thing through the grill, but with the hood open and on display you know what is on board. Food for thought.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #76
There is one more thought as you progress through the design. One common theme through out this conversation since you introduced this product has been about cutting the large hole in the radiator shroud. A thought might be to split the your piece into to pieces creating a flange on both pieces. Create a template to cut the radiator shroud that matches the Inner Diameter of the Big Mouth. Then put the top piece on, mark the holes drill holes through the radiator shroud, and bolt the top and bottom together making them now part of the shroud. Then you create a cover to cover the whole top cowl after cutting the curved piece out, and the new cover piece has the word Velossa embossed in raised lettering going across the top from left to right. So when at a show, not that you cant see this thing through the grill, but with the hood open and on display you know what is on board. Food for thought.
The first iteration of design was to go through the radiator shroud using a bolted flange joint exactly as you described. It didnt work out too well for other reasons :(

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
ok, took a look at it, pictures are not going to help, but I will describe for you.

If you are standing in front of the car, looking at the curved cover piece, It appears that if you were to cut out a 3" x 3" square out of the lower right hand corner, it would clear. However and but, it is very difficult for me to tell at this point. I really am of the opinion, just cut it off, and Mr. Dan is going to design a cover. The improvements digested during the day felt really good.
Thank you. Now the debate is black body or since it will possibily be exposed a coloured body. decisions decisions.

J2FoRS

[MENTION=3407]VelossaTech[/MENTION] I have had a change of heart. I appreciate you answering all our questions and tolerating our criticism. A local guy from our Facebook group installed one today without issue, posted pics for us showing the specific interference that occurs between the BM and the stock cowl cover and successfully reinstalled the bumper and cover without cutting. He did apply some heat using a heat gun to mold the stock cover a little around the BM better to close the gap but brought it back to basically OEM look. I can most definitely jump on board with that kind of solution and following your advice how to reinstall the bumper.

I'll be ordering tomorrow or Monday, now the real question is what color and/or colors to choose! [woot]

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #80
[MENTION=3407]VelossaTech[/MENTION] I have had a change of heart. I appreciate you answering all our questions and tolerating our criticism. A local guy from our Facebook group installed one today without issue, posted pics for us showing the specific interference that occurs between the BM and the stock cowl cover and successfully reinstalled the bumper and cover without cutting. He did apply some heat using a heat gun to mold the stock cover a little around the BM better to close the gap but brought it back to basically OEM look. I can most definitely jump on board with that kind of solution and following your advice how to reinstall the bumper.

I'll be ordering tomorrow or Monday, now the real question is what color and/or colors to choose! [woot]
You got a red fist. Do you want to go loud, get a red flare on red body. Or just a red flare on black body. Can't go wrong.