Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

BIG MOUTH picture thread!

Trader history for VelossaTech (0)

Izzy

[offtopic] Dan sorry for the hijack but since this is Velossa Tech related....how many are interested in Velossa Tech center caps for Rota wheels? hopefully there's enough of us [idea] to speed things up. But no pressure Dan!...lol [raceflag]

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #7
Can we order this in green? I would gladly post a picture of it installed if I can get green :)

Yes we have green! We have dark green and regular bright green. I think your car would look awesome with the bright green.

[offtopic] Dan sorry for the hijack but since this is Velossa Tech related....how many are interested in Velossa Tech center caps for Rota wheels? hopefully there's enough of us [idea] to speed things up. But no pressure Dan!...lol [raceflag]
I'd love some new center caps as mine came with flat ones and both fronts are on a highway somewhere lol

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #9
Hey if you can find a dozen or so people that want them, sure!! Sorry for the delays Izzy

jeff

2000 Post Club
I finally installed my BIG MOUTH and thought I'd give Dan/Velossatech some love.

Install is simple, 30 minutes or so once the bumper is off.

I am not aware if the BIG MOUTH made the car better because I added a Cobb FMIC at the same time.

There is a nice new and surprisingly deep intake growl with the BIG MOUTH. Also it looks quite awesome.

I did have an issue with fitment - I wonder if anyone else did. I'm pretty sure I installed everything else around it correctly, and I cut a plenty big hole for the BIG MOUTH, that is not the issue.....so I don't think this is my fault......the BIG MOUTH's 'throat' for lack of better terminology pushes against the top cowl....this disallows the bumper to fit properly. If you try to cram it down into place it warps the bumper. In order to resolve this I had to hack and slash at the upper cowl a bit. Once I cut part of it off so that it would not rest on the BIG MOUTH, everything fit together fine. It is a bit sad though because now my engine bay does not look perfect. But I'll find a way to hide my surgery. I suppose that's just the price you pay for having such a BIG MOUTH!!!

Overall I'm pretty happy.

Note, I did paint it a deeper red than it originally was.

First pic is of the fitment issue, taken from the driver's side of the car, before I did surgery to make it fit; others are the BIG MOUTH installed!!!

jeff

2000 Post Club
If you push it all the way in you should be able to get the last push clip on there
I tightened the bolt all the way down quite snug so I assume I pushed it all the way. I also assume the bolt would have pulled it in further as I was tightening it.....if it was not all the way in. It's not a big deal but it could have fit better.

The last bolt could have been forced but it would not look right.

But it could be my error, i'm curious if anyone else had this issue.

Assuming it was my error you might include something in the instructions about pushing it in a certain amount for proper fitting.

OP
VelossaTech
Thread Starter #17
If it's tight, then all you should do is put the first push clip in. Then do the rest. That will close the gap. I think I'm going to update the instructions. The order of installing the stock clips seems to matter. Thanks for pointing it out

jeff

2000 Post Club
If it's tight, then all you should do is put the first push clip in. Then do the rest. That will close the gap. I think I'm going to update the instructions. The order of installing the stock clips seems to matter. Thanks for pointing it out
So this morning I said what the heck and cut my shroud up. Since it was not fitting anyway I decided to at least make it look good.

In the process I used all my strength to try to force the BIG MOUTH in more. It would not budge. So I'm pretty sure it is all the way in, but still doesn't fit perfectly. However, it is quite possible that I did something wrong and that this is my fault; I am curious if others had the same issue.

However, I'm actually glad that this happened because it led me to create a removable panel. Of course, being a car guy and going to cars & coffee events each month and hanging out with car friends, everyone wants to know what the heck that red mouth is behind my grill. So now I can remove the panel and show them. It velcros right back on and to the average eye is not noticed as being modified, save the stickers. Yes, the stickers....I've never done stickers in my life but dangit I'm so happy with my car right now I went and put a couple on for engine bay bling.....

Aside from this, I am LOVING the intake grunt I'm getting from this BIG MOUTH.

Sorry for the one fuzzy pic...

Yea i had the same issue with mine. The last clip would not go on and keeps popping off due to the Big Mouth pushing up against the oem plastic panel cover. I just ended up using a bolt and nut to hold the panel down.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yea i had the same issue with mine. The last clip would not go on and keeps popping off due to the Big Mouth pushing up against the oem plastic panel cover. I just ended up using a bolt and nut to hold the panel down.
I did some research - I found on the other BIG MOUTH thread that this is an issue with several others. So I'm pretty positive now that it's not my fault.

The nut/bolt options works, though as I see it that might distort the plastic. One fellow mentioned heating the plastic so that it re-formed to fit correctly. I really like my solution - it looks clean and allows me to show off the BIG MOUTH.

Probably the solution if this were to be fixed would be to simply lose an inch or so of the section that mates to the car - it could even be cut off - then it wouldn't interfere. But I'm not sure. One thing's for sure, my bumper should not be coming off again for the foreseeable future.

Still, there is no doubt that this thing is sucking major air into my car - the subtle but noticeable sound difference alone makes it obvious.

Go BIG MOUTH!