Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

NEW product - Thermal R&D 3" exhaust MADE IN THE USA and Intro priced !!!

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

I haven't been super happy with my MBRP (too much drone), and I'm torn between the DHM vibrant exhaust and this. I won't have the funds to buy any parts for a little while but I'll have this page bookmarked for when I do. BTW, loving the GFB DV+ I bought from you Ron!

Ron, can you compare this and the CP-E in terms of sound? They seem to be even in terms of quality and fitment. Having trouble deciding!

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #23
Ron, can you compare this and the CP-E in terms of sound? They seem to be even in terms of quality and fitment. Having trouble deciding!
I agree
both made in the USA
quality is top notch
the cp-e will be a little louder and drone a bit but its not unbearable

the Thermal is a little more tame and quiet in the cabin yet is still 3" all the way through like the cp-e

both great choices!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ron,What type of clamps come with this system? Are gaskets involved?How hard is it to remove the factory exhaust? I keep going back and forth ....debating. it seems very nice just like the scorpion exhaust I wanted...

Ron,What type of clamps come with this system? Are gaskets involved?How hard is it to remove the factory exhaust? I keep going back and forth ....debating. it seems very nice just like the scorpion exhaust I wanted...
Need gasket that mates to DP. Factory exhaust comes out in 20 minutes if you got a reciprocating saw to cut it. You can do it with ramps even.

TUX15ST

^ let me know how that works out for you [?|]

You have to make one clean cut which can easily be clamped or welded back on, youd be crazy to not cut it out

I'm trying to save the factory exhaust not destroy it...
It's possible to remove the exhaust without cutting it, but it involves dropping the rear axle beam.

I re-installed a friend's factory exhaust before he traded his car in, and with chopping it before the axle on the straight pipe section, it went together super easy with a band clamp to hold it together. Unless you're going for the factory fresh look, it'll save bit of time, and a bit of headache just chopping the exhaust.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's possible to remove the exhaust without cutting it, but it involves dropping the rear axle beam.

I re-installed a friend's factory exhaust before he traded his car in, and with chopping it before the axle on the straight pipe section, it went together super easy with a band clamp to hold it together. Unless you're going for the factory fresh look, it'll save bit of time, and a bit of headache just chopping the exhaust.

I guess I'll have to put it up in the air and cut it at the right place then....[drinking]

jeff

2000 Post Club
I guess I'll have to put it up in the air and cut it at the right place then....[drinking]
Some folks cut it in the bend like some of the DIYs instruct because there's a little more room................but though a little more work I cut mine near the gas tank at a straight section, when I sell the car I can grab a coupler from autozone for cheap and put the stock exhaust back on super easy, then sell mine for mod $$$ for the next project.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #32
Ron , How long is the GP going on or is it done?
until I have enough buyers
I actually thought this would take off better than it did

Thermal was the BOMB in the DSM community
I imagine after a few guys have these and there are more sound clips....it will be much more popular

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
until I have enough buyers
I actually thought this would take off better than it did

Thermal was the BOMB in the DSM community
I imagine after a few guys have these and there are more sound clips....it will be much more popular
I would have considered it IF you offered it when you had the Nexus GB.

Too late for me now. [:(] (Even though I really like the sound of my resonated cp-e!)

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #34
I would have considered it IF you offered it when you had the Nexus GB.

Too late for me now. [:(] (Even though I really like the sound of my resonated cp-e!)
it's all good, cp-e is an excellent exhaust!

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #36
2 members have jumped on this exhaust so far.....3 spots left before the price goes back up to where is it has to be (non Group Buy price)

Any chance of an install guide for this? I can't seem to find one, and not exactly sure where/how/what torque for the plate or the clamps

Edit: Got it installed, snapped the bolt on the ball/socket joint clamp. Really would have been nice to have the torque specs.... Hopefully Lowe's will have a replacement. Otherwise, fit's great, looks great except for the tips, wish I would have known they'd be the multi-color burnt looking instead of just polished chrome... I'll upload some pics in a bit

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF you did not need shiny chrome-like finish on the tips, you could always Cerakote them a solid silver/black/titanium, or even a 'brushed' chrome color, or have Ron see if Thermal will sell their highly polished stainless finish tips separately (like Ultimate Racing will do for their turn down tip). ;)