Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

COOLERWORX Pro short shifter :0

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

DangerMouse

So I'm trying to pull the shifter arm assembly out. It gets all the way to the end, I assume and it's getting hung up. My inexperience has me nervous. I have it neutral, I've tried 3 times without success, fearful I won't be able to get it back in.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #64
Last Day for the 20% off price (COOLERWORX20 code)
Also FREE SHIPPING has been added to the deal for TODAY only

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Ditto. I'm sure it isn't that big of a deal to reinstall the OEM pin, but I'm not risking that thing coming back out on the track. I keep telling myself this is more of an aesthetic and "convenience" mod to keep from saying f-it and trying it anyway haha. I loved the CAE shifter and I bet this is similar. Someone needs to post a throw video. On second thought, DON'T!
That was so 2019 Woods247. 2020 Woods247 bought one already.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #68
more news from COOLERWORX:

from our FB page

News from Coolerworx!
2 things...
Pleased to announce that the much anticipated Focus COOLERWORX shifter prototype is complete. Look for a group buy here at whoosh the moment the fit and function are confirmed
Also, The already amazing and popular Fiesta shifter is NOW available with a genuine Carbon Fiber selector shaft
Link to Product:https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/…/coolerworx-short…

DangerMouse

I finally took the time today to install this. Once I set it up, took it for a drive and wow the throw is much much shorter than I was expecting. Only thing that concerns me is the shift from 3rd to 4th, it’s much shorter feeling the rest, and a little mushy. At first I wasn’t even sure I was getting 4th but I was. It doesn’t have the same feel of sliding right into gear. Hard to explain. 5th down to 4th is amazing though, it slides right in and feels perfect. I’m not sure why 3rd to 4th would be so different. Probably normal but figured why not see what you guys have to say.

I finally took the time today to install this. Once I set it up, took it for a drive and wow the throw is much much shorter than I was expecting. Only thing that concerns me is the shift from 3rd to 4th, it’s much shorter feeling the rest, and a little mushy. At first I wasn’t even sure I was getting 4th but I was. It doesn’t have the same feel of sliding right into gear. Hard to explain. 5th down to 4th is amazing though, it slides right in and feels perfect. I’m not sure why 3rd to 4th would be so different. Probably normal but figured why not see what you guys have to say.
Did you modify the tolerances for your shifts? Every gear for me feels short, precise and clicks firmly into place.

DangerMouse

Did you modify the tolerances for your shifts? Every gear for me feels short, precise and clicks firmly into place.
Modify which part? I adjusted the set screws on the unit. I should note, I am using a cobb shift knob which is very light. I took it for another drive and if I use a little more force it's better. I will try with the coolerworx knob and see how that is. I may just need a heavier knob, but I prefer a round knob.

When I was setting my screws, I adjusted it until I couldn't get the car in 1st. Then I barely backed off the screw until it would barely go into first. If you have it set a bit loose, that could be your issue.

DangerMouse

When I was setting my screws, I adjusted it until I couldn't get the car in 1st. Then I barely backed off the screw until it would barely go into first. If you have it set a bit loose, that could be your issue.
Thank you, I'll try that and see.

DangerMouse

Figured it out. I didn't have the left/white shifter cable all the way in and down. I'm surprised I was able to get the retainer on and flush.

Now I'm getting a high put he'd squeak if I'm in nuetral and move all the way to the left and let it center it squeaks. It doesn't squeak going to the right and back to center. So when going up through the gears it squeaks.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

I loosened the unit and made sure it was centered. I removed the shifter cables and it still squeaked, so I know it's the coolerworx. I only had some wd40 so I put a little on the centering spring and worked it in. No more squeak for now but I can still feel some resistance going from left to center. Resistance is there with the cables off as well so I know the cables aren't the issue. Right to center is perfect. It's a good thing I haven't put the console back on yet.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I loosened the unit and made sure it was centered. I removed the shifter cables and it still squeaked, so I know it's the coolerworx. I only had some wd40 so I put a little on the centering spring and worked it in. No more squeak for now but I can still feel some resistance going from left to center. Resistance is there with the cables off as well so I know the cables aren't the issue. Right to center is perfect. It's a good thing I haven't put the console back on yet.
Some Teflon chain lubricant worked for me. Hasn’t squeaked since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DangerMouse

Some Teflon chain lubricant worked for me. Hasn’t squeaked since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK cool I'll look into some. Now that I drove it for a bit since I put the wd40 on there, it's so much better! Downshifts just feel amazing.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Someone needs to get one of these in Washington/Idaho/Oregon so I can try it out.

George at Raptor Racing has one installed in his car and wow is that thing awesome. The gear shifts are very smooth, goes into gear nicely. Also I"m 6'2 so I sit a bit further back, the position on the shifter is in a good position. Where before you have to kinda reach down ,its closer to the steering wheel now which is comfortable. I hope i can get one for myself soon