Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

What did you do detail-related today?

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Sadly, nothing... with the snow and salt everywhere, there's no use doing anything.

Come on spring!!!

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #2
Still waiting on a warm weather weekend for a full detail of the RS. I'm still planning on doing a full documentation of my process.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
FINALLY have a weekend coming up that is free.
So I will be doing a full detail on the RS the weekend of the 29th-30th this month.
I will make sure to do a full write up and take lots of pics [thumb] [MENTION=48]LonestarRS[/MENTION]

LonestarRS

haha thanks. Weather has been poor here, but I need to polish and wax a few more areas. Might do it before the big TX meet.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
haha thanks. Weather has been poor here, but I need to polish and wax a few more areas. Might do it before the big TX meet.
You HAVE TO do it up before the meet [clap]

I'm finally going to get out all the little crap wrong with it from the travel and dealer. I'll make sure to get some before shots as well so you see I did have imperfections and wasn't just insane [rofl]

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
You guys recommend clay baring before polish or is it not necessary?

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
You guys recommend clay baring before polish or is it not necessary?
I usually clay and decontaminate 2x a year... spring and fall. Then I correct/polish and LSP.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #9

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Use IronX straight out of the bottle or do I need to dilute it?

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #12
Just placed an order for some new detailing products. I plan to use them on the RS next weekend. I've heard great things about them so I thought I'd give them a go.
I'll let you guys know what I think of them [thumb]

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Ok I just ordered some ironx, never used it before but will post my thoughts.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #14
Ok I just ordered some ironx, never used it before but will post my thoughts.
I recommend using it BEFORE claying. And make sure to rinse it thoroughly. Also don't leave it on for more than 10 minutes.
I usually spray it on, wait 5 min, use a wet microfiber and spread it out to make sure it gets everywhere, then rinse.
You can use it on your wheels as well.

TIP: Do NOT store it with the sprayer in the bottle. Keep the reg top for it for when it's not being used. Mine have consistently leaked when I've left the sprayer on the bottle.

And just to let you know, the stuff STINKS really bad... like rotten eggs and perm (for your hair). SO use in a well ventilated area... like outside! LOL

Good luck!

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Thanks for the tips and I'll try to do it early before the neighbors get up so that they don't complain of the smell lol.

I recommend using it BEFORE claying. And make sure to rinse it thoroughly. Also don't leave it on for more than 10 minutes.
I usually spray it on, wait 5 min, use a wet microfiber and spread it out to make sure it gets everywhere, then rinse.
You can use it on your wheels as well.

TIP: Do NOT store it with the sprayer in the bottle. Keep the reg top for it for when it's not being used. Mine have consistently leaked when I've left the sprayer on the bottle.

And just to let you know, the stuff STINKS really bad... like rotten eggs and perm (for your hair). SO use in a well ventilated area... like outside! LOL

Good luck!

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #18
Honestly most clay bars are the same. The difference is the color, which equals the grade the clay pulls the contaminants from your paint.
The higher the "grade" the more it will pull contaminants... HOWEVER, it's a lot easier to marr the paint with a higher grade clay. I wouldn't use a heavy grade clay unless the car is in very bad shape.

That being said.... I don't think I'd buy something called "magic clay"... you can get Chemical Guys or Meguiars clay on Amazon. That would be a better choice.